What are the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2

dude... you know I'll take your cast-offs.... I'm still waiting patiently for that Mivv.....

I would love to have a set of rearsets... but every time I find a set, they're ~$600.... now... yeah, I did drop close to $2k on suspension... but... $600 for rearsets? I just can't bring myself to do it... if I could find a set for... $250 or so... I'd be all over them.

FWIW, the R1 shift arm ... well... if you can get one really cheap... it's worth it... but, I wouldn't pay over $15 for what it does.

don't think that I haven't forgotten about that MIVV -- I just have not had my attention focused on getting the CF to replace. Something always comes up to where I find a deal and a half on something and those funds get directed elsewhere.

FWIW....I only paid around 150.00 for the rearsets. They were somehow damaged, but the pictures didn't show it -- scraped pegs and one of the bolts was bent. I've found replacements for both parts, but the fix that I did has worked just fine. Just makes me look like I was the one who dropped my bike b/c the previous owner did both the right/left engine covers. So it matches and it'll be gone by the middle of this week when the lowers come and cover it all up....

I'll go get inspired at PJ right now....

Y.009.L6Sf.jpg

you know that it is "famous"....was wraith's old pipe....

not ak-20's.... yet... that's the plan this winter... just re-sprung and re-valved.... but when I sent forks to Traxxion, I bought a brand new set... so I didn't have to take the bike off the road while it was getting done... so... that drove the cost up a bit.

for the rear, I'm running the Penske 8983... it's awesome.

I didn't know how bad I was sitting until I actually put a stock replacement rear shock. Have a Fox Racing double clicker that lost its charge and made the rear end rather harsh. Rode on it for about 2 months until I was able to find a stock replacment.

I was not paying attention and actually undid the bolt for the piggy back resevoir when removing, and if that is not a reminder to periodically maintain the service on them.

I too will be doing the AK-20's this winter and getting the new generation springs (at no additional cost). I probably won't even come close to maxxing out the potential of the suspension, but like you, I'm keeping this bike for sometime.

Should I ever feel the need, it'll probably be adding to the stable and not getting rid of the FZ.

a more technincal analysis of the two bikes...

click here...

I've been wanting to read a comparison like that for sometime. Thanks!

And since I ride a Gen 2 "I want the 20HP back that was lost in the mid-range when Yamaha ?improved? the engine!"

For the record folks...

One post on here said Ivan's FCE slows down the secondary throttle plates opening. Actually, it is the very opposite. Contact Ivan and talk with him about this one. The FCE actually opens them faster to increase the response that is lacking because of slow moving stock flies. Also, even if you have the flies out, the FCE is still of great value because that eliminates the FUEL CUT that gives this bike the dreaded snatch. I discovered the snatch with the secondary flies removed, and the FCE fixed it entirely. The FCE is for the fuel cut on these bikes over 4500 rpm. All the info is right on Ivan's website.

:yes:

VA - I'm considering a used fz1. Is carb vs FI a big deal? i'm no mechanic and don't know how to tune carbs etc. I agree w/you on all other points about gen-1. I was thinking for a low miles '05.

it's a matter of preference personally... I find FI to be more expensive to tune... for the price of a Power Commander, I can literally have 72 Different main-jets to try.... or 18 Sets of jets.... that doesn't count the charge for custom mapping and all of that... I can also pull my carbs whenever I want... on the side of the road if I want to, and adjust the mixture screws... If I'm out riding around... I don't have to worry about a check engine light coming on...

People love FI for the throttle response... cut the slide springs and drill the slide holes on a Gen 1's carbs... and throttle response is actually almost too good.... if such a thing exists...

Depending on where you are in SE TN... you could pick up a Gen 1... bring it to me, and I'll take care of jetting, airbox mod, and porting the intake boots for ya...

But... once again... this is all me... plenty of people love FI.... it depends on what you want to do with the bike... if you're just going to get it and ride it... it really doesn't matter much whether you get carb or FI... if you plan on a lot of modifications... the Gen 1 mods are generally cheaper... But, Gen II parts are easier to find... it's hit and miss on many different things for each bike...

Riddle me this Batman -- to cut or not to cut the springs?? and how much 1/4" 3/8"??

B/c last time we talked -- joker said to leave them be??

now if I could only get my bike back home to be able to install and finish the carbs and everything else..

Adam

VA-I'm in Chattanooga area. Working on wife approval at this point. If successful I may drive over for a 'how to' session. I'll keep u posted. BTW, there's no one around here for me to try the FZ1. Never ridden one so it's hard to purch one 150miles away w/o ever riding one. I'm sure I'd like it but need to be sure..

Back