What are the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2

NoCal

Hi everyone, I am a new member. What is the first year of the Gen 2? What are the significant differences between the 2 Generations? Thanks for your help

long story short.... 2 completely different bikes.

Gen 1 =
2001-2005
Steel Tubular Frame
Carb Fuel Delivery
Larger gas tank
Different ergos.

Gen II=
2006+
Fuel Injection
USD forks, compression in 1 leg, rebound in one..

I mean.... I don't know where to really start... honestly... there's not one thing that's the same between both bikes....

Thanks, I guess I should have been more specific. I am still looking at FZ1's, In your view are the improvments in the Gen 2 worth the extra $$$

My impression is, Gen 1 owners are very happy with their FZ1s and tend to like them better than the Gen II. Most say they like the more relaxed ergos over the Gen II, i.e somewhat higher bars, lower and more forward foot pegs and a less aggressive riding position overall. (Seat may be more comfortable too, not sure)
I own a Gen II. The aggressive riding position is exactly what I was looking for and comfortable for me. ( Foot pegs could stand to be lower, however GSG moto makes a lowering kit) I love the stiff aluminum frame for precise handling.
(Gen 1 has a steel tubular frame) Gen II weights less, has a stronger motor, improved brakes and improved suspension.
My guess is if you want the emphasis of a sport-tourer to be on the sport side, you'd prefer Gen II. However, if you want the emphasis on the tour side, the Gen I might be a better choice.
Anybody-am I wrong?:smoking:

Polestar.... you're close.... but a few things.

Gen II suspension better than Gen 1? HA. No. The Gen II suspension itself is abysmal.
The rear shock on the Gen 1 is rebuildable, and has an external resi. On the Gen 2, it's a traditional shock, no resi. and is not rebuildable... when it starts to get old and bouncy, it's trash. On the Gen 1 rear, you send it off, have it revalved and resprung, and it's almost as good as an aftermarket replacement.
Front suspension. The Gen 1 has the following adjustment in each leg : Preload, Compression Damping, Rebound Damping. The Gen 2? Both legs have preload, one leg has compression damping, one leg has rebound damping.... what a horrible design... There's a reason many Gen 2 owners replace their front suspension with R1 components.

As for weighing less and having a "stronger" motor.. well that may be true by a few pounds and even fewer HP... but look at the 1/4 mile times on those same charts.... the Gen 1 beats the Gen II in 0-60, 0-100mph, 60ft times, 1/8 mile times, and 1/4 mile times. So, our heavy dinosaur is the winner there.

Braking, as above, the Gen 1 beats Gen 2 0-100mph. It also beats it 100mph - 0. Braking edge goes to the Gen 1.

I wouldn't say that the Gen 1 has more of an emphasis as a tourer. I would say that the Gen II, touring isn't really the best option. It's built for just one thing, and that's sport type riding. The Gen 1 can be toured on... or, like me, you can ride it just as you would a sportbike.... what you give up in sporty position, you gain in ground clearance.... drop the forks 7mm, raise the rear a little bit, and you're good to go....

Last edited:

Va_rider,

Fair enough. I'll admit I'm very new to the FZ1 experience and only know the Gen 1 from what I've read. Actually, much of what I said about the Gen II, I also read in motorcycle mag reviews-but I also experience it.

Cheers:smoking:

Last edited:

Gen II suspension better than Gen 1? HA. No. The Gen II suspension itself is abysmal.
The rear shock on the Gen 1 is rebuildable, and has an external resi. On the Gen 2, it's a traditional shock, no resi. and is not rebuildable... when it starts to get old and bouncy, it's trash. On the Gen 1 rear, you send it off, have it revalved and resprung, and it's almost as good as an aftermarket replacement.
Front suspension. The Gen 1 has the following adjustment in each leg : Preload, Compression Damping, Rebound Damping. The Gen 2? Both legs have preload, one leg has compression damping, one leg has rebound damping.... what a horrible design... There's a reason many Gen 2 owners replace their front suspension with R1 components.

As for weighing less and having a \\"stronger\\" motor.. well that may be true by a few pounds and even fewer HP... but look at the 1/4 mile times on those same charts.... the Gen 1 beats the Gen II in 0-60, 0-100mph, 60ft times, 1/8 mile times, and 1/4 mile times. So, our heavy dinosaur is the winner there.

Braking, as above, the Gen 1 beats Gen 2 0-100mph. It also beats it 100mph - 0. Braking edge goes to the Gen 1.

I wouldn't say that the Gen 1 has more of an emphasis as a tourer. I would say that the Gen II, touring isn't really the best option. It's built for just one thing, and that's sport type riding. The Gen 1 can be toured on... or, like me, you can ride it just as you would a sportbike.... what you give up in sporty position, you gain in ground clearance.... drop the forks 7mm, raise the rear a little bit, and you're good to go....

I will disagree a little bit on the front suspension. The gen2 front suspension is one of the best I have seen on a stock bike including the brakes. There must be some reason why MotoGP uses the same design. The rear shock is not that bad however after long use, it may be up for replacement soon. And yeahh, gen2 handles better than the gen1 due to stiffer alu frames, USD suspension, etc.

Last edited:
This is all interesting for me too. I'm on a new GEN II but I know zero, zip, nada about the GEN I.

I bought the GEN II because it looks so much like my FZ6 but with all the extra power, handling, suspension and braking!

469d1245952065-what-differences-between-gen-1-gen-2-dsc06160.jpg
470d1245952212-what-differences-between-gen-1-gen-2-2009fz1.jpg

View attachment 469 View attachment 470

Last edited:
I have heard about "fuel issues" with the 2006 FZ1 can anyone elaborate? Can they be easily fixed or is it better to stay away from the '06? Are there any other issues or years/models I should watch out for?

I have heard about \"fuel issues\" with the 2006 FZ1 can anyone elaborate? Can they be easily fixed or is it better to stay away from the '06? Are there any other issues or years/models I should watch out for?

Although there may have been issues with the first of the fuel injected FZ's, I would think that with all the electronic add-ons that they have now would clear up any lingering issues. I would assume that even if you bought a newer version, 07',08', or 09', you would probably wind up doing some kind of mod to the fuel delivery system anyway, so I don't think it would matter. If you were looking at an 06', and thats what you'll be able to afford, then get it. Me, I am a diehard carb guy. I love bikes with carbs and I truly believe that if you ever have a fuel issue on the side of the road, I would feel more confident that I could get the bike running again to get home and not be stranded due to some electronical component that can't be readily fixed. Thats just me. Even my car has a 4bbl Rochester.

I have heard about \"fuel issues\" with the 2006 FZ1 can anyone elaborate? Can they be easily fixed or is it better to stay away from the '06? Are there any other issues or years/models I should watch out for?

06 had a distinct throttle snatch when power used to surge (faster opening subthrottle plates or secondary flies) between 5-7K rpm but it was not prominent unless you are riding really hard. Ivan's FCE fixed it by slowly opening the flies and was dynamically controlled based on throttle position. Yamaha however fixed the issue by slowly opening the flies from 07+ models. However 07+ models can still benefit from the FCE. FCE gives a 10bhp boost in the midrange and improves mpgs too. However if you are going to remove the secondaries, use of FCE is moot.

At higher RPMs when you close the throttle and then open it again there is a delay and before the bike just accelerates again. Not a big deal in a straight line, but could be a little unnerving when you're leaned over in a turn. However, this is certainly fixed by Ivan's Performance Fuel Cut Eliminator (FCE). I don't think that it's enough of an issue to keep you away from an '06 if you can get a good deal on one.

Thanks for the article link above Bro. One specific question...The article mentions how the Gen2 has an improved trans/gearbox. Is the Gen1 trans/gearbox poor or clunky? Or is it just that the Gen2 improved the trans/gearbox?

NoCal said:
Thanks for the article link above Bro. One specific question...The article mentions how the Gen2 has an improved trans/gearbox. Is the Gen1 trans/gearbox poor or clunky? Or is it just that the Gen2 improved the trans/gearbox?

I really can't attest to the shifting on the Gen II, but I do know that the stock shifting throw has slot more travel than needed. People have worked around this by using the shifter arm of an R1 (year escapes me at the moment) but it replaces the stock to create a shorter throw for ease of shifting.

I have a gilles rearset on my '01, and it is all the way up and back. I don't have enough clearance to run the shorter shifter. Other than just having some adjustment issues with the clutch, operation has been smooth on the Gen I part.

Adam

Both motorcycles are very good performers. One a carbed version (Gen 1) the other a Fuel Injected version (Gen 2). While some riders seem to prefer the style and ergonomics on the Gen 1 others prefer the same on the Gen 2. Unless you're a very hard-core racer type rider, either one will put a smile on your face. My gen 2 just took me over 4600 miles across country and mountains in eleven days. My butt is still flat but I'm still smiling and for the record, stopping every 100-150 miles is a good thing. It allows you to take a rest and get refocused on the job of enjoying the ride. That's what it's all about!

I have a gilles rearset on my '01, and it is all the way up and back. I don't have enough clearance to run the shorter shifter. Other than just having some adjustment issues with the clutch, operation has been smooth on the Gen I part.

Adam

dude.... I'll make you a DEAL.

You give me the Gilles.... I'll give you the stock rearsets, shift linkage, AND the R1 shift arm.... you can't beat that deal....:innocent0002:

My legs would not know what to do if I was to drop them back down to the stock position. How about you send me the shifter arm and I'll see if I can find a setup that works?

I would of thought that you would of had a set of adjustable rearsets. I found mine on flEaBAY and got them for a steal on what I'd bid for my max. Besides, I'm trying to work on cstrautman for his rizomas, now THOSE are the :drools:

Last edited:
Back