Well that thar thin' doesn't have a seadbeld

Coming back from Baton Rouge, after getting a few hundred miles under my belt I stopped in Alabama for some gas, a coffee, and an interesting conversation with one of the locals. I wasn't much in the mood for talking but a middle aged guy that could have passed for an old age guy walks up to me as I'm getting my coffee and says: Thay yu aw! I jes got stopt bya troopa and he gave me a tickot fo no seadbelt. I believe because of our different dialects and his lack of a lot of teeth I needed to drink a little bit of that coffee to comprehend this man's communique before I responded with a brilliant: "Yea?" Then he goes on to say that I was the one who passed him while he was receiving the bad news and he pointed to me and said to the officer: "Well how come thad guy don't got to wayer no seadbeld" to which the officer responded: "because he's on a motorcycle." Attempting to further gain some insight to his supposed transgression he states: "Well that thar thing is a lot mo dangerous than my big truck." The officer responded, as we all know, "Sorry, that's the law. I have a motorcycle myself."

So it seemed what this man wanted was to further understand this ridiculous law and my impression of the inequitable situation and when he asked me: "Well wad do you thaynk?" I could only muster: I think you should get a motorcycle. Well this gave him a big ole' laugh and I pat him on the back and made my getaway while the gettin' was good.

A friend on another forum asks quite rightfully "What is this "feeling of freedom" everyone seems to get when they ride a motorcycle. I once wrote a long piece to respond to that but these days I think what they're trying to say is that they are "out there" exposed to the elements, and, important in the equation, exposed to the dangers, that would have otherwise been mitigated by cars and their innumerable modern safety features. It's probably not much different than the sense of "freedom" a deep sea diver, a pilot, a rock climber, or an open sea sailor feels. Assuming you do not do any of these as your daily profession there certainly is an exhilarating feeling from these relatively dangerous "hobbies." What you are really doing is living life on the edge so that freedom feeling may be that you are, with the consent of the law, putting yourself in more danger than is normally "allowed" by the law. You are exposing the loopholes, exercising your rights of certain freedoms that have been preserved through the years, either through active lobbying or simply remained under the radar of the lawmakers.

Think about this: I can row my boat out to the open seas in the middle of the perfect storm, have the the great young men and women of the Coast Guard come rescue my dumb arse at the peril of their own lives and I've committed no crime. Yet this poor Schmuck from Alabama gets a ticket I'm sure he can't really afford, let alone the increase in his car insurance, for not wearing his seatbelt in his truck while I fly by sitting atop my vehicle with nary a safety device within sight. And then, just for an extra slap in the face to our poor Alabamian the officer brags that he too regularly engages in this risky behavior at the behest of the law. (No offense you LEO's, you know I love you).

Well, that was one of my points back in that old post I can't seem to dredge up from the forums. The other was that it brings many of us back to our childhood, when we had no car, just a bicycle. But we also had very little responsibilities compared to adulthood, so yes, we feel as free as a child running through fields of hay.

I'm sure there are more thoughts on the matter. I can come up with a few, like feeling "different" from most of the drivers, different in a good way, the good feeling of gaining skills in a tough hobby, willing to put your life on the line based on your skills and instincts, etc.

Good stuff again my friend! :yes:

Here's my excuse... I ride because in the truck? When I corner fast? I bang mah head into da side windurr leaning in the left turns!

I don't know what that feeling is, how to explain it best to anyone who hasn't ridden... I guess to me, it is solitude. I'll bet my blood pressure is never lower than when I'm up on two wheels.

For me it's a medically proven fact. When they do my blood work and I haven't ridden much, the numbers are up. When I've ridden a lot, the numbers are down. My doctor credits my motorcycle with me getting better and I ain't the one to argue with him.

Norm, the first time I was in Alabama, I had an old guy on a tractor offer to race me for pinks. I declined, i'm sure that guy on his tractor woulda whooped my ass and it's a long walk home from there.

Also in Georgia, you can ride in your truck without a seatbelt and get no ticket. We've forfeited some federal money for the privilege but our good ole boys have no intention of giving up that "right".

I got a motorcycle after I got separated. I also went into the Marine Corps Reserve and got back into flying the helicopters (CH-46E) that I flew in the 90s. Part of my mid-life crisis I suppose. I could have gone to a counselor for my divorce but I find that riding is very therapeutic and I refer to my bike as Dr. Yamaha. I tell my family that I have been in "therapy" when I have been for a ride. Nothing melts my frustrations in life like a motorcycle ride especially on a bike than runs like a "scalded hound"

Coming back from Baton Rouge, after getting a few hundred miles under my belt I stopped in Alabama for some gas, a coffee, and an interesting conversation with one of the locals. I wasn't much in the mood for talking but a middle aged guy that could have passed for an old age guy walks up to me as I'm getting my coffee and says: Thay yu aw! I jes got stopt bya troopa and he gave me a tickot fo no seadbelt. I believe because of our different dialects and his lack of a lot of teeth I needed to drink a little bit of that coffee to comprehend this man's communique before I responded with a brilliant: "Yea?" Then he goes on to say that I was the one who passed him while he was receiving the bad news and he pointed to me and said to the officer: "Well how come thad guy don't got to wayer no seadbeld" to which the officer responded: "because he's on a motorcycle." Attempting to further gain some insight to his supposed transgression he states: "Well that thar thing is a lot mo dangerous than my big truck." The officer responded, as we all know, "Sorry, that's the law. I have a motorcycle myself."

So it seemed what this man wanted was to further understand this ridiculous law and my impression of the inequitable situation and when he asked me: "Well wad do you thaynk?" I could only muster: I think you should get a motorcycle. Well this gave him a big ole' laugh and I pat him on the back and made my getaway while the gettin' was good.

A friend on another forum asks quite rightfully "What is this "feeling of freedom" everyone seems to get when they ride a motorcycle. I once wrote a long piece to respond to that but these days I think what they're trying to say is that they are "out there" exposed to the elements, and, important in the equation, exposed to the dangers, that would have otherwise been mitigated by cars and their innumerable modern safety features. It's probably not much different than the sense of "freedom" a deep sea diver, a pilot, a rock climber, or an open sea sailor feels. Assuming you do not do any of these as your daily profession there certainly is an exhilarating feeling from these relatively dangerous "hobbies." What you are really doing is living life on the edge so that freedom feeling may be that you are, with the consent of the law, putting yourself in more danger than is normally "allowed" by the law. You are exposing the loopholes, exercising your rights of certain freedoms that have been preserved through the years, either through active lobbying or simply remained under the radar of the lawmakers.

Think about this: I can row my boat out to the open seas in the middle of the perfect storm, have the the great young men and women of the Coast Guard come rescue my dumb arse at the peril of their own lives and I've committed no crime. Yet this poor Schmuck from Alabama gets a ticket I'm sure he can't really afford, let alone the increase in his car insurance, for not wearing his seatbelt in his truck while I fly by sitting atop my vehicle with nary a safety device within sight. And then, just for an extra slap in the face to our poor Alabamian the officer brags that he too regularly engages in this risky behavior at the behest of the law. (No offense you LEO's, you know I love you).

Well, that was one of my points back in that old post I can't seem to dredge up from the forums. The other was that it brings many of us back to our childhood, when we had no car, just a bicycle. But we also had very little responsibilities compared to adulthood, so yes, we feel as free as a child running through fields of hay.

I'm sure there are more thoughts on the matter. I can come up with a few, like feeling "different" from most of the drivers, different in a good way, the good feeling of gaining skills in a tough hobby, willing to put your life on the line based on your skills and instincts, etc.

Now that's a great story! Also, I have to say I concur with some of your thoughts on why we ride and how special it is. I have to say that it does have some elements, but in a different way, to other activities that I can compare to. I don't parachute or scuba dive any more. But, I used to. And there are some similarities to that expression I get, "I can't believe I'm getting away with this........it is WAY too much fun". Maybe even snow skiing (the little I have done)---when you go off a jump and catch air, it seems like as you fly you think about how unique that experience is. It will never be recaptured in the same way again. And of course, if you don't pay attention and land wrong then you will have other things to think about. But yeah, a motorcycle on an open road beats water skiing or jet skiing any day. For me at least.

Good stuff again my friend! :yes:

Here's my excuse... I ride because in the truck? When I corner fast? I bang mah head into da side windurr leaning in the left turns!

I don't know what that feeling is, how to explain it best to anyone who hasn't ridden... I guess to me, it is solitude. I'll bet my blood pressure is never lower than when I'm up on two wheels.

If I was up on two wheels in my truck, my blood pressure would be sky high! I think you're just drivin' your truck wrong! :confused0024:

You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychologist's office. ;)

If I was up on two wheels in my truck, my blood pressure would be sky high! I think you're just drivin' your truck wrong! :confused0024:

You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychologist's office. ;)
That's right because the Psychologist parks his bike out back!

I finally consented to see a psychologist when my imminent divorce (now a done deal btw) was piled on top of the loss of my son. I told the psychologist about this saying. He said "Well it can't be true because long before you've been riding in to see me I've had clients come in by motorcycle.

Back