Water in the oil.

Delta

Ok seem to have got water in the oil...
I just washed the bike with a hose and after washing I started the bike up to help dry it.
I noticed some white scum in the view glass, I then took the filler plug out and I can see that some water has either got in through washing (how?) or ive got a problem somewhere else. Any idears guys?

Ok seem to have got water in the oil...
I just washed the bike with a hose and after washing I started the bike up to help dry it.
I noticed some white scum in the view glass, I then took the filler plug out and I can see that some water has either got in through washing (how?) or ive got a problem somewhere else. Any idears guys?

Maybe tbrough your pipe?

As a thought, it's really cold here in London at the moment and has been for weeks. I only do 3 miles to work and 3 back. The bike doesn't get up to temperature so I'm wondering could it be condensation build up? The bike is kept in my gararge, and it cools down in there too, could it be convecting ?
There doesn't seen to be any coolant loss in the header tank either, it's still on the full mark. So hopefully not a blown gasket.
Anyone else had this creamy froth in their bike in the cold weather. Condensation ?
Either way I need to do an oil change now grrr only done a 1000 miles since the last one.

Last edited:
As a thought, it's really cold here in London at the moment and has been for weeks. I only do 3 miles to work and 3 back. The bike doesn't get up to temperature so I'm wondering could it be condensation build up? The bike is kept in my gararge, and it cools down in there too, could it be convecting ?
There doesn't seen to be any coolant loss in the header tank either, it's still on the full mark. So hopefully not a blown gasket.
Anyone else had this creamy froth in their bike in the cold weather. Condensation ?
Either way I need to do an oil change now grrr only done a 1000 miles since the last one.

If you had a head gasket issue you would notice a very obvious drop in the coolant level and you would smell a sweet smell in the exhaust as well as a white color in the exhaust. If you had a water pump seal going you would also notice a steady ( and worsening ) drop in your coolant tank level. What you describe is most likely just condensation due to the conditions. If there is not a huge amount in the oil, I wouldn't worry about it (or change the oil), just get the engine good and warm and it will burn off and disappear through the engine venting. Unless there is enough (and it takes a lot) to dilute the oil and damage the bearings, then don't worry about it. I lost almost a liter of coolant into my oil before I figured out that the water pump seal was shot, and the hot oil had burnt most of it off without harming my engine.

Thanks for replying you guys;-)
I must admit I shit myself when I see it :Liar:. As I said in one of my last posts I'm begining to think it's the cooling down in my gararge and drawing moisture in over the weeks of this cold spell. Maybe I will let the bike cool down for half hour before I gararge it at night. I'm still going to watch it carefully and change the oil when the weather warms up a bit. The bike just doesn't reach temperature in 3 miles ride to work and back either.

Thanks again for the extra info guys.

I also noticed the same thing in mine oil window after a wash on a cold day, seems to be fine after a good run, Can I ask a question about the coolant tank. I am assuming you are all referring to the one under the seat by the shock? If so. is this supposed to be full? A couple thousand miles ago i had my head gasket done due to having the head off to drill out the manifold bolts. *long story* dealer replaced all the coolant. but the tank was empty, I questioned them on this and they stated this is only an overflow tank and will only get full if the coolant overflows into it. Seemed odd to me at the time but i never took any notice, Can anyone celebrate on how this system should work. Sorry OP for jacking

It is indeed an overflow tank. The true cooler tank is at the radiator. However there should always be some coolant in the overflow tank so that any missing coolant in the radiator can be readily replaced. Place the bike on a flat surface and fill coolant in the overflowtank till the max marking, do so when the bike is cold.

It is indeed an overflow tank. The true cooler tank is at the radiator. However there should always be some coolant in the overflow tank so that any missing coolant in the radiator can be readily replaced. Place the bike on a flat surface and fill coolant in the overflowtank till the max marking, do so when the bike is cold.

Thanks, I'm doing AIS block and spark plugs soon anyway so will do the whole coolant flush again before the summer. Thanks for confirming.

Overflow tank

overflow%20tank.jpg

A shot from my FZ back in the day.

It can be filled by removing the side cover show above the tank and using a long narrow funnel.

Get out and about on ya bike I ride to work on mine everyday apart from the odd few where it's been icy.I've never had water in my oil if you just use it for work try a long way home to warm the engine up more.

Get out and about on ya bike I ride to work on mine everyday apart from the odd few where it's been icy.I've never had water in my oil if you just use it for work try a long way home to warm the engine up more.

Wotcha fella, I also ride to and from work each day. It's only 3 miles each way so the bike only gets to 85-90*C. That's not what's causing the water in the oil though. I've sussed it's just condensation from convecting in my gararge when it's cooling down in this very cold weather. Hot bike in a gararge with moisture in there. The only way to stop it is to let the bike cool for half an hour before I lock it away. I do ride it at the weekends too on ride outs with my mates but that sucks in this crap weather eh...

Last edited:

I find if you fill the overflow tank to max when cold my bike loses some coolant [ coolant loss through cap], so I only fill halfway between the to marks when cold, and only to max if bike is hot. All my bikes, cars I only fill to max when hot, very seldom do I need to top them up this way. As I find if I fill them to max when cold they all need regular top ups, diluting the coolant in the process.

Yip crap weather I long for the dry spells to give thr bike a bit more cornering and throttle but in the damp esp since they mix the salt with something else the roads tend to be slippy.

Back