Visor questions

I want to use some sort of tint on my RF-1100 this year.

What should I do? My model is the "Conqueror" which is black/gray/gold.

Was debating about Gold Iridium, light smoke, or dark smoke.

Input on them?

I do not care if they are legal.

If I determine whichever I get is too dark at night, I will carry my clear lens with me if I feel I will be out late. They are stupid easy to swap back and forth on this helmet.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I want to use some sort of tint on my RF-1100 this year.

What should I do? My model is the "Conqueror" which is black/gray/gold.

Was debating about Gold Iridium, light smoke, or dark smoke.

Input on them?

I do not care if they are legal.

If I determine whichever I get is too dark at night, I will carry my clear lens with me if I feel I will be out late. They are stupid easy to swap back and forth on this helmet.

Thanks!

Just ordered another rf1100, I crashed mine last week. I use dark smoke. It isn't as dark as other helmet manufacturers. So I wouldn't recomend light smoke. Never tried the reflective ones because they are usually more expensive. The dark smoke is like 50 bucks, kinda ridiculousness already.

One of the guys (pyrogenic) this last weekend had a clear visor that darkened in the sun. That seems like a really nice feature.

:)

I have many (too many) shields for my (and my wife's) RF-1100s. We share the shields, so it's not quite as bad as it sounds. :embarrased:

We have the Dark Smoke, which is one of my favorite and the darkest of any visor for the RF-1100 (at least from Shoei). If you are looking to hide your face, this one is a better choice than the spectra (mirrored). We don't have the gold spectra, because the spectra are crazy expensive ($80+), but we have the blue and silver spectra. I can't imagine the gold is much different than the blue or silver in darkness. They look very sharp. I've heard complaints that they scratch easily, but we have been extra careful with them and so far (over a year) no scratches. I think Lee had the gold spectra for his Warlord model and the dark smoke.

My wife likes the gradient shield for the dusk/dawn times. It's better than I thought, but I would rarely use it. We also have 2 pinlock shields with 2 clear inserts, an amber insert and recently a light smoke insert. I like the amber, but my wife prefers the clear or light smoke. The light smoke is very light, but it does make a difference when the sun is out. One of the biggest things I like about the Shoei shields is they all (including the stock clear) block 99% of the UV rays, so my eyes don't hurt.

I don't know how many shields you are willing/able to buy and I'm not sure what conditions you usually ride.

For bright days I recommend:
  1. the dark smoke is best, but not very safe to ride in at night (I wouldn't mind an even darker smoke)
  2. spectra is very good and looks the best (dark smoke a very close second in my book) and has a tint in between light and dark smoke, but they are sooooo expensive :rant:
  3. bright cold days the pinlock with dark smoke insert

For cloudy days i recommend:
  1. light smoke or mellow smoke work well and I wouldn't have a problem using them at night and they are much better than clear for bright days. I'm still not sure what the difference is between light and mellow, but my understanding is the light leans slightly toward the brown and just a touch darker than the mellow which leans slightly toward the gray. (a touch of grey, I sense a Greatful Dead video here)
  2. the gradient is great when you don't know how late you'll be out and you don't want to take an extra shield. It's darker at the top and fades to clear at the bottom. One note, the darker tint at the top leans toward the purple/blue side of gray. You just have to tilt you head a little differently and choose which part to look out. It's not as bad as it sounds.
  3. pinlock is always the answer for cool or cold days. The amber makes colors 'pop' and the light smoke works for partly sunny. I haven't tried the yellow.

I hope that wasn't too confusing. :confused: If you need some pictures or more specific info on these shields, let me know.

One of the guys (pyrogenic) this last weekend had a clear visor that darkened in the sun. That seems like a really nice feature.

:)

As far as I know, Bell is the only company that has a photocromic shield for the time. It's a $120 for the shield, but I'm sure you could find it under $100 if you looked. You'd need a Bell Star, RS-1 or Vortex to use it.

0000-Bell-Transistions-Photochromatic-Shield-for-Star-Vortex-Helmets-Tint-Adjust.jpg

I daily drive the bike basically from now until winter, so I will be doing day and night riding. However I am usually home at least once before it gets dark so changing them would not be a problem.

I currently use a Pinlock visor setup, but the visor and insert are clear. I love them in the winter.

I am leaning more towards the dark smoke.

How about this one?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

For sunny Summer days the dk smoke is the way to go, but if you happen to get caught at night with it you wont be able to see very clearly.

Personally I stick with the lt smoke as it's a good all around compromise for me.

I have no experience with that shield that you linked to, but remember that it's not a Shoe1 one so regardless of what the vendor says fitment could be an issue...

I rode with a buddy's RS-1 with the transitions visor for a week and I'm sold. I'm buying an RS-1 off motorcyclecloseouts for $200 just so I can get this visor, because it's so nifty.

The only situation where it doesn't darken properly is when you're riding into a setting or rising sun and it doesn't get dark enough. Other than that, it was amazing.

I always go the dark smoke because the Iridium ones scratch way too easily.

Maybe I have just been lucky or extra careful, but I haven't had a bit of scratching on my blue or my wife's silver and we use the spectra shields the most. We have had them over a year. I might shy away due to crazy price, but I just haven't seen the scratching problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a dark smoke i like it alot. I keep a pair of clear safety glasses on the bike just incase it gets dark and i dont have my other shield. I have only had to use them once and its not that great whit the visor up the hole time,but i could see to get home.

I will however be changing over to this......if the company ever answers my emails first. Before they were advertising this as "universal", but now on their site it has specific helmets and the Shoei isn't one of them.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R10b-UdTu4]Introducing e-Tint® - Change your tint in the blink of an eye! - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QU2GNPrvb4"]e-Tint® Motorcycle Visor Insert - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Back