Video: Kawasaki Z1000SX v Yamaha FZ1 Fazer

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Kawasaki's new Z1000SX proved it will be the sports tourer to beat in 2011 after MCN's world first group test against Yamaha's FZ1 Fazer.

More...

Hummm...very neutral report. To me, the only thing the K really has over Y is plastics, and a bit lower price.

For me the functionality of the brakes, suspension, and motor are more important then a couple of saddle bags, and an adjustable wind sceen.

I'd like to hear what they think once they get a warm, dry day.

Last edited:
Another pointless bike review riding around in the snow & ice?. What have we learn't from MCN well... Apparently FZ1 motor is better & totally overpriced in the UK compared to the Kwaka?. It seems the ZX suspension is easier to adjust?, i thought you couldn't get more basic supension than the FZ1= rebound on one leg, comp on the other, one screw on the shock hard/soft?, how easier can Yamaha possibly make it?. I however do like the colour matching panniers= nice touch you can take you lunch with you to the track day instead of getting ripped off by the man in the hotdog van. Then again you could just strap on a tankbay or wear a backpack?. Keep up the good work MCN!!!

Another pointless bike review riding around in the snow & ice?.

You should write them a letter about how you are totally furious about the fact that they have a winter season in the UK. You can also mention how much you dislike that they have the first road test out of a bike that you think is crap from a company that you completely hate.

That's why I dumped MCN. They try to act like they are an unbiased view and it's all crap. They hawk every new bike just like every other rag. They have reviews on products that are simply hawking the product. When I took it, the cost was $22 per year ---NO WAY.

You should write them a letter about how you are totally furious about the fact that they have a winter season in the UK. You can also mention how much you dislike that they have the first road test out of a bike that you think is crap from a company that you completely hate.

You would be pleased as punch to know i have commented on there website many times about there crap reviews, videos along with everbody else... besides you. Also lets get one thing straight i own a Kawasaki 07 ZX6r trackbike & have ridden most of there range incl the new Z1000. So please don't make up story's that i hate Kawasaki, why would i own one if i hate them?. Common sense here> why would you choose to do a bike test comparison in snow & ice in the middle of the UK winter, maybe Dustin learn't some valuable facts & info about the this road test, if so share?.

What's this "Zed" they're talking about? I see the "Zee" 1000 (actually the Ninja 1000). Crazy people don't know the alphabet! :p :poke:

I actually would like to see color matched, factory luggage option from Yamaha for the FZ1. I wasn't in love with the looks of the 'Zee' 1000, but I do like the looks of the Ninja 1000. I would have considered it if it had been around when I was looking. :chat: I think I would still have ended up with the FZ1, but if I had Jay Leno's garage, I'm sure one of these would end up there. :tup:

Edit: I also have to add that while I'm not in love with the stock exhaust on the FZ1, I hate the stock exhaust on the Z1000/Ninja 1000. Another small annoyance with the Kawasaki is that only one headlight is lit on low beam (same problem with the FZ6). Damn that looks stupid. I know, all that can be fixed.

Last edited:
I can't help but wonder if those pannier boxes wouldn't attach with a v35 rack? - the only reason I haven't yet bought pannier luggage for mine is that I'm put off by the fact that the givi v35s can't fit a full face helmet.. or so I read. So if these do actually fit one as the reviewer said - that could be a winner

I better go google for some info :)

As for the Z1000SX - I saw it at the motorcycle live show last weekend and I wasn't too impressed styling wise.. I really disliked the look of the front fairing when it was in touring mode - it seems to have a kind of beak - it feels like they've taken styling cues from the FZ1 but I don't think it fits together into a package thats as appealing to look at. Oh and the front indicator pods are fugly and huge in my opinion :) The girls sitting on the bike kept my attention span way longer than the bike, so in my view that means the bike wasn't the one for me!

I can't help but wonder if those pannier boxes wouldn't attach with a v35 rack? - the only reason I haven't yet bought pannier luggage for mine is that I'm put off by the fact that the givi v35s can't fit a full face helmet.. or so I read. So if these do actually fit one as the reviewer said - that could be a winner!

The bags that are on the Kawi ARE the GIVI V-35's The green panels on it are exactly the same shape as the grey ones on mine. They will fit a medium Shoei RF1100 helmet, no problem. My old RF 900 Shoei fit as well.

v-35paintfa.jpg

Side question after watching the vid. Why do brits say "Zed" instead of "Z"? :) I watch TopGear all the time and have been wondering this for a while.

Last edited:
The bags that are on the Kawi ARE the GIVI V-35's The green panels on it are exactly the same shape as the grey ones on mine. They will fit a medium Shoei RF1100 helmet, no problem. My old RF 900 Shoei fit as well.

Thats good news - I have a medium Shoei XR1000 so I guess that mine should be able to fit too.. is there some wiggle room once your helmet is in or is it mm close? I'll see if I can find a place that has the boxes in stock and ask if I can put my helmet in before I stump up the cash though.:tup:

Oh and btw I say z ('zed') the right way :ban:

German magazine Motorrad has an article about sport tourers next month, 2 feb. featuring the FZ1-S, Z1000SX and Triumph Sprint ST (or GT ?)
I'll post a shortened version if someone is interested.

My 50 cents: the yamaha is still the better (faster) and more exciting bike, even though it's older. The Kawa is wider to the point of being too wide, BUT: it's more wheelie-friendly, a friend powerwheelied it in 3:rd gear. It looks better , and has the adjustable screen. Probably the gearbox is better (less clunky) being a kawasaki

Oh and btw I say z ('zed') the right way :ban:

Because we invented the language? :UK flag:

Back on topic, I have to say that I do like the new "zed". May have to trade the FZ1 in for one next year.

Because it's the proper way....:stirpot::deal::laugh2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Yp2L6c2KM]YouTube - Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead.[/ame]

:america: :nana: :fencers: :poke: :stirpot:

Last edited:
Back