valve adjustment kit

RI_Grinch

Well I guess it's finally time for it. I got home yesterday from work and decided to go ride. When I started the bike I could hear a ticking noise. Without ripping the bike apart I can only guess that it's the valves. My baby has just over 40k on her and I'm pretty sure this has never been done. My question is...Does anyone know where I can get a relatively cheap kit? I can't see dropping 60-80 bux for a kit that I'm only going to use a couple shims to make things right,Nor do I want to rip the bike apart to figure out what shims I need and order individually.

Well you might need a lot of shims at 40k without prior service. Beside the sets I do not see other options if you do not want to first check the valves. You can sell the other shims if you do not need them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I paid the $85 for a whole shim kit that comes with three of each size. And as luck would have it I needed four of one size. So I used three shims out of the whole kit and had to order a fourth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the looks of it,I'm going to have to end up buying the whole kit. I decided to tear down the bike last night. The first valve I checked on the intake side measured .003. I got aggravated and stopped there. It didn't help that it was getting late and I was already beat. Going to check the rest today. I have a feeling that I am going to have to end up resurfacing some of these valves.

I paid the $85 for a whole shim kit that comes with three of each size. And as luck would have it I needed four of one size. So I used three shims out of the whole kit and had to order a fourth.

That is a very rare thing. BTW you usually can swap some shims to get correct specs, especially when you have very close sizes. No need to adjust everything exactly in the middle of the interval.

So I have been told. I have slight OCD so I wanted them to be as perfect as possible. We tried swapping but I wasn't getting the measurements I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the looks of it,I'm going to have to end up buying the whole kit. I decided to tear down the bike last night. The first valve I checked on the intake side measured .003. I got aggravated and stopped there. It didn't help that it was getting late and I was already beat. Going to check the rest today. I have a feeling that I am going to have to end up resurfacing some of these valves.

0.003 is not far from the 0.0043 limit and the first thing you can measure with the usual tools, I do not think you have to resurface the valves. Keep in mind that you skipped the regular valve adjustment. Usually I need to adjust between 3 and 6 valves in the regular valve adjustment of course that depends on how you ride and keep up with the maintenance.

I'm normally pretty good about keeping up on the maintenance. This is my first time ever doing a valve adjustment on anything. I don't mind doing the work but I also don't want to screw anything up. I have a knack for breaking things that I put my hands on..LOL. As far as measurements go..the clymers says .11-.20. Now bear with me cause math isn't my strongest subject..but isn't .003 way off from at measurement??

As Sebastian said you mixed mm with inch. At least i hope you measured in inch ;). Do not worry about the valve adjustment, it is not that difficult just take your time and keep track of what belongs where. A good thing to do before removing the camshafts is to mark the camchain position on the camsprockets using some paint. That helps a lot with finding the right tooth again. You still should make sure that all marks a correct aligned as specified in the service manual but usually the paint makes this a one try step.

Yeah I realized that after I read Sebastian's last post. I was half asleep when I posted that this morning. Guess that's why it wasn't making any sense to me..LMFAO! Got a set of metric feeler gauges coming to me so I'm sure that will help me get my head in the right place.

Back