valve adjustment help

Merry Christmas all,

i'm checking the valves on my 08. the shop manual gives directions, which i understand, BUT:
i just want to confirm that the lobes on the #2 and #3 cylinders should be pointing toward each other when checking those clearances. i find that the lobes for #1 and #4 face away from each other.

im asking because its such a pain to get the feeler gauge between the lobe and bucket when they face each other. i havent been able to get a decent reading yet. just want to make sure i'm doing it right. i've checked around but havent seen anythign that answers this question.

i'll go about doing some of the other things on the list in the mean time.

thanks in advance for the help!

regards,

tim

Thats the way my suzuki is but tye manual is pretty clear on counterclockwise rotation of the crank. It says nothing about lobe position after cyl #1

Thats the way my suzuki is but tye manual is pretty clear on counterclockwise rotation of the crank. It says nothing about lobe position after cyl #1

Cylinder 1 at TDC, Cylinder 2 at 180 degree,Cylinder 3 at 360 degree,Cylinder 4 at 540 degree, crankshaft turned counterclockwise, sorry do not know the lobe position which you asked about.

Last edited:
it just seems like the lobes are compressing the valve springs when the lobes are facing in. i cant get the feeler gauge in unless they face out. Dunno:dontknow:

it just seems like the lobes are compressing the valve springs when the lobes are facing in. i cant get the feeler gauge in unless they face out. Dunno:dontknow:
TDC on compression stroke can be found when camshaft lobes are turned away from each other, but you know this if you have the service manual

i read that, but with where it was in the manual, it sounded like it was just talking about cyl #1. it wasn't clear if it was referring to all cylinders. (i might have just misinterpreted it.) also, it doesn't really match up with the degrees of crank rotation specified. i have to go to the specified degrees and then some to get the lobes facing away from each other. that's why im confused.

The lobes on the cam will have a fair amount of area when away from the lifters [up to 180 degree but not sure on the FZ1] that the clearance should not change,so I would check at the degree in manual than check again when facing away from each other, you may find it does not very,if you can use the gauges in both positions

its funny. in the part where the manual talks about installing the cams, it talks only about clockwise rotation of the crank to get everything into place, whereas before it was all about counterclockwise rotation. they lost me.

i appreciate the help fellas. i think i'm on the right track and should have it all together tomorrow. Merry Christmas to me!

cheers mates!

its funny. in the part where the manual talks about installing the cams, it talks only about clockwise rotation of the crank to get everything into place, whereas before it was all about counterclockwise rotation. they lost me.

i appreciate the help fellas. i think i'm on the right track and should have it all together tomorrow. Merry Christmas to me!

cheers mates!
Ok! so how did you go? did any of the shim`s clearances need changing

Last edited:
They should always face outward. The rotation specified in the manual is in my opinion wrong. The TOC is always achieved when they face outward regarding of the cylinder. Just look at the valve caps and you will see this.

When you crank the cyclinders, there should be no sound, that's the right direction. In my manual they claimed the wrong direction it was very noisy, and I rotated it in the other directions without any problems. I am just shy of the second valve adjustment.

When you install the camshafts just make sure you do not jump a tooth at the timing chain, I marked the chain and tooth position before removing the the camshafts. You also should check that the markings on the camshafts align correctly as stated in the manual.

The manuals are written for professional mechanics who had a proper education on the repair of motorcycles. They do not mention all things and usually highlight only the very specific points on the model. I talked to several technicians about the directions in the manual and got very different opinions on what makes sense and what not. I finally decided to follow my own opinion and logic and it worked fine.

Yes it is true. It needs to rotate clockwise, service manuals are wrong. Mybee they look the rotation from the left side where cylinder 1 is. If you rotate in wrong direction is possible that chain goes over the tooths on cam sprocket. So, you must rotate like motor normaly rotates.

Back