V-Star 650

Dustin, just get the Honda Rebel trike you really want. We won't judge, honest. :Liar:

honda-rebel.jpg

Dad had one before he upgraded to an 1100. He rode it regularly with the American Legion Riders and did just fine. It didn't like the highway, but cruising around town, he got lots of compliments. Pretty bikes.

As long as you know what you're getting into as far as power, you shouldn't be disappointed in that department.

They are SO slow.

Stock my XV920R, made only 60 hp. On a modern 80 mph freeway it is dangerous. It just doesn't have the power to get you out of the way, and merge quickly.

My wifes's GZ250 is frightening on the freeway! You have the ride the thing pinned all the time.

Also be prepared for mushy. Everything is mushy; the seat, the suspension, the brakes, the handling.

Renting on is probably a very good idea.

I did a 500 mile mountain tour on a bike with 13 hp once. It was ok except having to use the shoulder on the really steep climbs because I couldn't maintain 70 MPH :dontknow:

The VStar 650 was my wife's second bike. It was a great little bike and she loved it until we hit the corners... this is what she took to the Dragon... and this is why she's on a sportbike now and asks herself "Why the $#@!R did I EVER ride a cruiser???"

For town and straight roads though, it was a solid little 650.

I have ridden cruisers before, basically the whole Harley line as well. I haven't enjoyed a single cruiser but I haven't ridden any at length and I thought maybe getting out on the open road might give me a better experience.

But then I think WHY. Why would I want to ride a bike that is purposely designed to be inefficient and flashy. That actually goes against my principles in life. :doh2:

Those big, loud cruisers with huge motors are annoyingly slow and the supposed 'torque' they have is really nothing special. Torque is why I bought a 919; it makes 50 lb-ft of torque at 3000 RPM yet it still makes POWER at the same time. Why would I want to ride something that weighs 700 lbs, has a massive motor and can't out run a 25 year old 600 cc sportbike?

One of the things I enjoy doing is trying things I don't like or have put a stigma to. Hence, the cruiser idea.

Those are nice for messing around town. easy to ride, not to great on highways. I'd prefer a Honda Shadow over that one they;re cheaper and nicer for longer drives, even the 950 has a little whirring sound that can be annoying if you're neurotic like I am.

If I were to get a cruiser, it would be my Triumph Rocket 3, but that's not your typical cruiser. I like cruisers, I think they're super cool, that said I recently came out of denial and came to understand how they are built to give that cool feeling and sound actually makes them less efficient and they aren't as easy to ride fast in the twisties. I like the idea of getting one just for something different.

Fun small Cruiser Suzuki Intruder 700

If you're looking for a fun, small cruiser below 750cc to zip around on try looking for a Suzuki 700 Intruder. I had an 800 and I loved it. It was small, light, quick and had excellent handling. They are also very cheap and you could pick one up for next to nothing and then re-sell it when you're done with it.

If I could afford a V-Max, I'd already have one. I badly want a second gen like Earlzach has.

You can't even really call those cruisers. :D

Last edited:
Back