Upgrade

Erick

Hello everyone,

I wanted to get some advise. I got a 600 katana a year ago and have put
18,000 miles on it to get experience to move up to a bigger bike. I'm considering the FZ1 or the R1. I want the power of the R1 but the comfort of the FZ1 because I like to do long rides. May I ask for your opinions on what I should do. I would also like to know if you think I have enough experience to move up to a bigger bike. Thx

Welcome to the forum!

For starters, I think you answered your question in your question. You want comfort, it's not gonna happen with the R1. Coming from a 600, an FZ1 1 Liter is going to feel like a cannon, so dont worry about power.

As far as experiance, Hell I have had 4 different bikes of all sizes and weights and havent come over 12,000 between all 4 in the last 3 years. I think you have more than enough seat time, not to mention the FZ1 is easy to ride and feels a lot lighter than it is once its moving. To me its light anyways coming from a bike that tipped the scales around 740lbs. Just remember, no bike is going to be fast and powerful unless you give her a hand full of throttle. ;)

Make sure you grab yourself a 2010 Raven, fastest color out there! haha

Yes, you have enough experience. No question.

Part of your question depends on your age and height. I have a brother that rides an R6 on long touring rides. We will do 700 mile days, and he is young enough and fits the bike well enough that he is comfortable doing it. If he was 10 years older or 4 inches taller, I'm not sure he could. I would imagine the R1 is similar.

The FZ1 is a great compromize. It performs at 90% of an R1, but has real world ergo's for guys over 35 or 6 feet tall.

I know 2 guys that own a R1, when we went on a trip, doing only 400km on a day,
they said "I'm never going to buy a sportsbike again". sore back/ass etc.
I got of my fz1 and was wondering what they were complaining about :D

Erick, as has already been said, if you want comfort and performance then it's got to be the FZ1. I once swapped bikes for a morning with a mate who loves his R1 and quite honestly was glad to swap back keys at the end of the ride. At the end of the day you pays your money and makes your choice as they say, in terms of experience I'm sure you'd be fine just keep the rev's down in the upper band untill you get used to it.

Fz1. If you put the copperdog windscreen on it and do a few other aesthetic mods it just about looks like a full-on SS bike. The power is there. Comfort is pretty decent, you can go all day on it. Personally I've allways gone for naked-bikes, even though I'm only 35. The only "supersport" bike I ever had was 1 1990 zx6, but it was closer to sport-touring in all reality. Something has always told me that I would enjoy riding more if I was upright on the bike, and it has certainly held true. Comming from dirtbikes it also just felt more natural. One thing I do plan on doing is getting different risers, I do find the stock ones to be too high.

Hello everyone,

I wanted to get some advise. I got a 600 katana a year ago and have put
18,000 miles on it to get experience to move up to a bigger bike. I'm considering the FZ1 or the R1. I want the power of the R1 but the comfort of the FZ1 because I like to do long rides. May I ask for your opinions on what I should do. I would also like to know if you think I have enough experience to move up to a bigger bike. Thx

Just remember the throttle works both ways.

Buy used and save $$ if you don't like it -sell it without taking the hit from buying new.

Check the for sale section of this forum. TimebombAZ has a VERY nice 2001 for sale. Ride it home from AZ and be happy!

Back