Unfriendly Harley Riders

Well not really waive but the Harley "2 finger low drag".

Hey....quit picking on the 2 finger low drag.......only people that wave above the waist are the passenger....newbie:sport12:.......or your not going fast enough.

Must be a northern or Wisconson thing......most riders will do a quick wave in South Florida....sport bike to sport bike....cruisers to cruisers...and some go both ways:wtf:

I always wave when I'm going past them.:cheers:

Forgot to add......I do notice the most unfriendly Harley riders are the ones from out of town......for real....a real chip on their shoulders....

Last edited:
My dad is in a M\C and 90% of those guys are great people. They have to razz me about bringing a jap bike to the club house but almost all admit that they've owned a few. The real a$$ holes are the guys who think they bought the whole road when they paid 50 grand for a "beemer" or benz or what ever expensive foreign car it may be. What's the difference between a hoover and a harley? The hoover keeps its dirt bag on the inside.

The M/C bikers really don't bother me too much, it's the Doctors/Lawyers/Dentists/Starbucks owners that traded in their Suzuki Intruders for a new $25,000 Harley Davidson and another $5000 for the new black t-shirts and leather that have the shitty attitude. Cracks me up, on the golf course in khakis Thursday and bad ass biker on Saturday.

I only say hi to street bikers and wait for cruiser guys to say hi to me...Most of them don't return anything where i'm at but street guys always say hi...

The only people I don't wave to are the ones on can-am spyders, because I don't trust those things with both hands on the bars, let alone one.

H/D riders in general around my area are pretty nice, but some don't wave. I don't take it personally- most of them are old enough that they probably have cataracts.

They dont wave much around here. You have to cut them some slack tho, if you paid that much for your bike and it gets out performed by every bike they pass you would have a chip on your shoulder too. lol

They seem nice enough

I'd actually say that most are not this way at least in my experience.

I have not had a problem. They wave back.

Now, my friends that ride HD all the time continually ask when they can ride my FZ1, "Oh man, that thing must be SICK fast."

I now ignore them, because the 1st time a group of them saw me on it in a parking lot they started yelling for me to, "Shred that fat back tire."

They will never ride my Yamaha. :wazzup:

can-am ain't a motorcycle, I don't believe. Just a big tricycle.

I wave and am friendly to all moto riders. Whatever they do back is their business. I've even had a mc gang on Harleys wave me on on a country road (at least the guys in the back did). I ended up passing 25 or so.........

Like most things in life, you can only control what you are doing out there on the road. I choose to enjoy and be happy. Sure there are guys who won't wave and guys who give dirty looks at the gas station and guys who give bemused looks when you walk into a bar initially. But let 'em. I ride to be on the bike, not to become BFF's and dress up for holloween to join a clique or a club. Harley-only riders are missing out, in my book. Their loss. But most are just like us. Good people just out for fun, in their own unique way. Hell, you can't be friends with everybody. I just don't like to see them go down, especially without proper head gear or protective clothing. Unfortunately, I've seen it in person and always shake my head at those fools who don't learn from the mistakes of others. Because that's much worse than bad manners....injury, death from easily preventable steps to take precaution. Well, at least they think they look cool before that day comes when they find out how stupid it is. And the beat goes on.

Last edited:
I wave to all riders regardless of what they are riding, scooters included. If they wave back thats great. If they don't, thats okay too. It doesn't bother me in the least. I'm having a ball riding and thats what counts to me. :shine:

No, they're not all unfriendly. I have a Harley and would like to think I'm friendly. Just took my new (to me) FZ1 out for the first time ever for a quick ride on the back roads. I just got the bike Sunday morning but couldn't ride it until today when I had the tags and insurance straightened out. Lots of fun! So is the Harley, just in a different way. One thing that was initially surprising to me now that I've seen both sides of the coin is I hear a LOT (I mean a LOT) more negative talk coming from the non-Harley side of the house about Harleys than I hear from the other direction. It's really so bad that it's one of the reasons I'm selling my Harley. (main reason is I normally don't keep a bike very long before wanting to try something different) It's been a really good bike for me but I can't help feeling a little disappointed in how poorly received the bike is by such a large portion of the community and how badly the general motorcycle community stereotypes Harley riders. Even in this thread I see it. There are poor examples of every type of rider out there.

most of the harley riders i have been around are ok,

but i ride a buell blast..and take about getting the ice.

now if only Eric Buell had been able to install the motor of his choice.

No, they're not all unfriendly. I have a Harley and would like to think I'm friendly. Just took my new (to me) FZ1 out for the first time ever for a quick ride on the back roads. I just got the bike Sunday morning but couldn't ride it until today when I had the tags and insurance straightened out. Lots of fun! So is the Harley, just in a different way. One thing that was initially surprising to me now that I've seen both sides of the coin is I hear a LOT (I mean a LOT) more negative talk coming from the non-Harley side of the house about Harleys than I hear from the other direction. It's really so bad that it's one of the reasons I'm selling my Harley. (main reason is I normally don't keep a bike very long before wanting to try something different) It's been a really good bike for me but I can't help feeling a little disappointed in how poorly received the bike is by such a large portion of the community and how badly the general motorcycle community stereotypes Harley riders. Even in this thread I see it. There are poor examples of every type of rider out there.

I respectfully disagree, maybe it's geographic location............I catch tons of flack for owning "Jap junk". I bet the ratio here is at least 50-1 in favor of Harleys. That's ok though, I probably average 3-4 times the mileage on my bike they put on their road couches every year.
That being said, some type of cruiser is in my future (in addition to a sport bike), doubtfully a Harley though because I just can't rationalize the initial cost.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree, maybe it's geographic location............I catch tons of flack for owning "Jap junk". I bet the ratio here is at least 50-1 in favor of Harleys. That's ok though, I probably avreage 3-4 times the mileage on my bike they put on their road couches every year.
That being said, some type of cruiser is in my future (in addition to a sport bike), doubtfully a Harley though because I just can't rationalize the initial cost.

Yeah, maybe the location has a lot to do with it. I'm not really sure. I've been in NC for the last 44 years. :cheers: I put about 15K miles on a motorcycle a year (I have a 60 mile round-trip commute to work) so I put a lot more miles on my Harley while I was riding it regularly than most of those "jap bike riders" do. It works both ways, it's all about perspective, yadda yadda, etc, etc. I'd have a negative attitude towards Harley riders too if I caught a lot of crap about owning "Jap junk" so I see where you're coming from. As far as initial cost... When I bought my Harley I almost bought a Yamaha Warrior (because I'd already owned one and know they are good bikes) but I wanted to buy a new bike and... SURPRISE SURPRISE... The Harley Street Bob I bought had a LOWER MSRP than the Yamaha. I'm not making it up. 2009 Harley Street Bob cost LESS than a very comparable Yamaha Warrior. Just by $400 or so, but it's true. Another misconception about Harleys is that they are all overpriced. There are some of them that are so expensive I can't even think about owning one. You know, like a Goldwing... Oh, wait, that's not a Harley. See what I mean? All about perspective. :innocent: Does the old saying "It's not WHAT you ride. It's THAT you ride." have any truth to it anymore?

I have only based the cost on used cruisers on CL not new one's yet, basically 2003-2008 or so. A comparable Harley to the Yamaha's, Honda's, Kaw's, Suzuki's is on average $3-$4000 more. I have been mostly looking at cruisers that are already set up for touring (saddlebags, trunk, etc). I'll probably never purchase a new one because I just can't justify spending 5-6 grand more for a couple years and 3,000 miles.

I wave to all riders regardless of what they are riding, scooters included. If they wave back thats great. If they don't, thats okay too. It doesn't bother me in the least. I'm having a ball riding and thats what counts to me. :shine:

I always wave at scooters. :) how can you not give respect to the scooter rider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back