Uneven Rear pad wear

Hi guys
Took my gen 2 for annual inspection today and the guy advised that the outer rear pad was low even though the inner is as new ,, now I replaced these 3.500 miles ago , even if I were heavy on the rear what I can't understand is why the outer one wears so much more ,come to think of it the last set did this ,, it's not binding , I can wobble the caliper slightly so it's free on the sliders ,I can even get my fingers on the ends of the pads and wiggle them slightly so it all nice and free ... Any one else have one pad wearing more than the other ?

It's a single piston on the rear , and that's the side thats the side that's worn ,, but yes nice and free , will have to investigate further

Very strange. Does the wheel spin freely up on the stand? Does more worn side have even wear left to right? I'm wondering if this could be caused by chain alignment being off slightly on one side. Are your measurements bang on?

Not too sure what else to look at; good luck!

Last edited:
Yes wheel spins nice and free ,no drag at all ! Good point about wheel alignment , I will take pads out when I've time and look at left / right wear as you suggest thanks for tip
Delbert

It's a single piston on the rear , and that's the side thats the side that's worn ,, but yes nice and free , will have to investigate further

Evening Delbert. I think what Dustin is saying is that while the rear brake has only a single piston, that there is a piston on each side of the caliper, so two actually. It may be that the inboard piston is hanging up slightly under braking pressure. You'd have to remove the caliper and pads to know for sure. Just make sure to have a flat piece of wood equal to the thickness of at least one brake pad in between the two pistons when you check. You don't want either of them to come out, you only want to see if they are coming out at the same rate. Very easy to diagnose.

Thanks for your input Billy , there is only one piston that pushes the outer pad but pulls the caliper on its sliders to make the inner pad contact the disc if that makes sense ,, I have stripped it this morning and have found the outer pad has worn at angle . The front part of the pad is the same thickness as the other side whilst the rear half is almost worn out ,, I can push the piston back with my thumbs so that's good, I have noticed a fair bit of play / wear in the front and rear sliders so I'm thinking as you apply the brake the caliper twists slightly on the sliders and locks allowing more force to the rear of the outer pad not being able to pull it square .. so will try some new slider/bolts if I can get them or it maybe the caliper and rear plate are worn where they fit into !

Thanks for your input Billy , there is only one piston that pushes the outer pad but pulls the caliper on its sliders to make the inner pad contact the disc if that makes sense ,, I have stripped it this morning and have found the outer pad has worn at angle . The front part of the pad is the same thickness as the other side whilst the rear half is almost worn out ,, I can push the piston back with my thumbs so that's good, I have noticed a fair bit of play / wear in the front and rear sliders so I'm thinking as you apply the brake the caliper twists slightly on the sliders and locks allowing more force to the rear of the outer pad not being able to pull it square .. so will try some new slider/bolts if I can get them or it maybe the caliper and rear plate are worn where they fit into !

Ah, got ya! I stand corrected. Hopefully some new slider pins will sort out the problem for ya. I use that high temp grease on my car's calipers and that seems to keep them moving well. Maybe a dab of that on the pins might help before buying new pins.

Back