tying flies (not for fishing...)

I've seen a lot of people talk about "tying flies" on here, but not seen any pictures of trout or bass or tarpon? what gives?

Seriously, there is a LOT of talk, but I've not been able to find any pictures or descriptions of exactly what to do, or excatly what "tying" them does. Oppsed to the modified flies of which there is tons of info and pictures.

Can somebody please describe pros/cons and how-to, or point me to a thread that does?

thanks much, Ryan

PS, I've tried searching and either come up with nothing or too much to wade thru...
:iamwithstupid:

Tying them is to disconnect the servo arm and zip-tie the flies in the open position. You have to remove the arm at the end of the rod and flip it over, attach it and then zip-tie it to whatever is handy and sturdy. This has the same effect as removing them but is easier to do.

Tying them is to disconnect the servo arm and zip-tie the flies in the open position. You have to remove the arm at the end of the rod and flip it over, attach it and then zip-tie it to whatever is handy and sturdy. This has the same effect as removing them but is easier to do.

And reverse if you want to go back to stock...

As for cause and effect....

Stock flies are only fully open above 7k RPMs. Below this, the ECU controls when and how much they open.

No (or tied) flies give you quicker throttle response in the higher RPMs but causes an air stall in the lower RPMs. This means if you are way down on RPMs and go to WOT, the bike will not actually wake up and take off, but first bog down. Thus, removing or tying the flies simply means throttle control until you hit 7k RPM where you can whack to WOT for the full effect. But isn't this the same as WITH the flies and 7k+ RPMs? Yes, it is. You are actually loosing throttle response in the lower/mid RPM ranges.

Modded flies are to counter the late opening of the secondaries (flies) by allowing an increased interrupted air flow in the low/mid-range for improved throttle response where you live and commute. Again, no effect on the 7k or higher canyon carving range.

Essentially, this boils down to the response under 7k where, as most FZ1 riders know, it is fruitless with/without/modded flies to open to WOT. When you want WOT, get the bike to 7k RPMs quickly THEN whack the throttle. This is VERY easy..........downshifting. At speed, I'll drop the gears and when I get to around 5500, crack the throttle to reach 7k, snap the turn signal and pull out at WOT. There is no more rush/joy/exhilaration on the FZ1 than when you do this. These are top-end bikes and they LOVE to live up there. Below 7k, they are tame beasts that love to tour/commute/amble along.

Last edited:
thanks cobalt...seeings how I spend the VAST majority of my time well below 7k commuting, I'm going to just leave them alone for now. I sure appreciate the help!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bowdown:

thanks cobalt...seeings how I spend the VAST majority of my time well below 7k commuting, I'm going to just leave them alone for now. I sure appreciate the help!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bowdown:

Probably a good idea. I think the "best" compromise for you would be the cut down 'flies from Copperdog or Ivan's Performance.

The end result from Ivan's flies was measured at 38mm in diameter. So if you shoot for that...

I use a scribe to mark off the edges @ 38mm (I believe it was 4mm to cut off all the way around) then cut with snips (these are aluminum and cut easily) to outside the line. Tap them flat with a small hammer on an anvil/vise then bolt all four together and file the edges down to the line all the way around. Clean them up afterward by rubbing them over some fine emery cloth then wash and install. I have this down to just about 1 hour now. :tup:

I was doing this for free as a "Pay It Forward" but the three sets I was rotating out never came back to me from the members who asked for them. So I now have none for modding to pay forward. :( If any of those three read this, maybe they will be kind enough to mail back either my set or their stock set they were supposed to. :poke: :spank2:

Last edited:
I'd try it...I have a really nice dremel. Has anybody made a pattern or template to trim to? Or in my case just take .03" or so off the outer edges? (guessing from the few pics i"ve seen...)

I recommend this as well, It is better for the low end - mid range. Also velocity stacks help out here as well, I used the Graves (GYRT) and am very happy with them. :+2:

I may give this a try this weekend instead, as I really don't want to mess up my low-mid... Too bad irresponsible people can't follow-thru with their word... :doh2:

I've also got an eBay search saved for some stacks to hopefully find used cheap...I've spent too much already on "great deals". lol.

I thought that taking g the flies out was easier than to zip tie them open, I didn't like no flies that much, modded them and out them back and I couldn't be happier! To take them out just be sure to have a new #0 screwdriver and use a little heat on the screws before u take them out.

I've seen a lot of people talk about "tying flies" on here, but not seen any pictures of trout or bass or tarpon? what gives?

Seriously, there is a LOT of talk, but I've not been able to find any pictures or descriptions of exactly what to do, or excatly what "tying" them does. Oppsed to the modified flies of which there is tons of info and pictures.

Can somebody please describe pros/cons and how-to, or point me to a thread that does?

thanks much, Ryan

PS, I've tried searching and either come up with nothing or too much to wade thru...
:iamwithstupid:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ivan's FCE. It allows the ECU to still control the opening of the flies but fools the ECU into opening them sooner at a much lower RPM and gives a real nice kick-in-the-pants in the lower-mid RPM range, also with the right map, there's no Bog at WOT at any RPM. I installed the FCE and cut flies at the same time so I can't compare which mod did what, but it's in Ivan's description of the FCE that it opens the flies at a lower RPM then stock. Not to mention that it gets rid of the on-off throttle jerkiness, which is its primary function.

BTW: I am NOT!! a coolaide drinkin Ivan'ite, but ya gotta give credit where credit it is due. This thing works.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ivan's FCE. It allows the ECU to still control the opening of the flies but fools the ECU into opening them sooner at a much lower RPM and gives a real nice kick-in-the-pants in the lower-mid RPM range, also with the right map, there's no Bog at WOT at any RPM. I installed the FCE and cut flies at the same time so I can't compare which mod did what, but it's in Ivan's description of the FCE that it opens the flies at a lower RPM then stock. Not to mention that it gets rid of the on-off throttle jerkiness, which is its primary function.

BTW: I am NOT!! a coolaide drinkin Ivan'ite, but ya gotta give credit where credit it is due. This thing works.

I agree with you! The FCE makes the '06 FZ1 on/off throttle transitions very smooth. When I bought my bike it was already on it so I don't know how bad it was stock. I have ridden newer stock FZ1s and my '06 is smoother...

Back