Turn signal wiring help

I did the pod light mod http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/1436-pod-mod-lights.html?highlight=pod+mod+lights and everything works as it should, but my green dash indicators stay on constantly. They do modulate a little when I intentionally use signal. I also have LED side lights that only act as turn signals (the cheap kind, not Watsen or Protons) which have worked fine until installing the pods. The problem is there before and after installing a Yamaha specific electronic flasher relay from Cycle Gear. If I unplug left pod bulb, left dash indicator turns off and vice versa for the right. So, does the dash think the lights are "blinking"? Do I need a resistor? Here is a diagram of how I have the left side wired...

I tapped in to my signal wires directly like below.

1317d1259541212-pod-mod-lights-wireing.jpg

Hail, I remember you diagram from the other post when I was double checking myself. It should be the same. Do you have 3 wire OE side lights? I've been wondering if this is the difference in mine. I don't see where the pod light can find a ground with LED side marker like I have.

Last edited:
I hate gremlins.....

Did you make a harness or tap the source directly? If direct, check your connections.

I run leds up front with the pod lights configured as always on and flashing when making a turn. Crappy pic, but was on my way OTD to go get an oil change.

2011-03-02_06-22-25_796-1.jpg

Last edited:
I hate gremlins.....

Did you make a harness or tap the source directly? If direct, check your connections.

Both sides are doing the same thing. I tried it all with wire nuts first and then I soldered the connections (no harness) because it was all working properly. I just didn't see the dash lights until I got ON the bike.

BroHay, does your LED side marker have a built in resistor (or whatever), and it is also a running light like stock? It is kinda hard to see the colors on the pic. Here's my wiring...

Both sides are doing the same thing. I tried it all with wire nuts first and then I soldered the connections (no harness) because it was all working properly. I just didn't see the dash lights until I got ON the bike.

BroHay, does your LED side marker have a built in resistor (or whatever), and it is also a running light like stock? It is kinda hard to see the colors on the pic. Here's my wiring...

Any ideas would be great because mine started doing the same thing, I have just been living with it.

the side lights mimic the factory lights. there are 13 LED that a member from the other forum created as an alternative to what was available when only the Gen I existed. I've got 7 LED that are running lights, and the remaining 6 are signal lights.

It does have a resistor, but only come into play after the signal has been been generated.

My Pod lights are always on as a running light and then become an turn indicator when the right/left.

I'm not able to give a better depiction b/c my bike is torn apart for some much needed TLC and upgrades. Maybe someone like Aaron/Billy/Eric/Lee could offer more insight in which I could attempt to fill in the voids.

probably two weeks before I'm back up and running.....

Adam

My original post was to find the running light HOT and signal HOT and attach the pod lights to those two. This is for the pod lights to become running lights and then alternately blink with the signals.

FZ1inNH said:
after testing for running HOT and signal HOT, I found the two I wanted. The left signal is brown to brown and blue to black(194 socket wire). The right signal was green to brown and blue to black.

Now, you already have LED side markers and you've noted that you also have in-line resisters. Did you tap into the wires before or after the resisters? Have you changed the flasher on the bike from stock to any after-market? If you disconnect the pod lights, does the dash light operate as expected and not remain on?

the side lights mimic the factory lights.

Adam
This seems to be a common theme among everyone who has had full success. Tapping into a three wire light as opposed to two wire like mine. Same light shares a ground perhaps?

My original post was to find the running light HOT and signal HOT and attach the pod lights to those two. This is for the pod lights to become running lights and then alternately blink with the signals.

Now, you already have LED side markers and you've noted that you also have in-line resisters. Did you tap into the wires before or after the resisters? Have you changed the flasher on the bike from stock to any after-market? If you disconnect the pod lights, does the dash light operate as expected and not remain on?

I do not have resistors, diodes or anything. That's what I'm trying to see if I need.
I changed the flasher to this http: //www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PRC_SM-FRH1_G electronic unit. It only slowed the flash rate and did not fix the problem.
Exactly, I unplug left pod bulb and only left dash light goes off. Engage blinker and it lights on/off as it should. Ditto for right side. When everything is put together, the dash bulb does modulate a little when in blink mode.

I think the "running hot" is leaking voltage thru the pod bulb to the "flasher hot" and making dash light up. But how to fix it? It seems as though a diode in the pod light wiring would just keep it from getting a ground and then it wouldn't work as running light...?

Any ideas would be great because mine started doing the same thing, I have just been living with it.

For the time being, I am just going to run the pods as "always on" running lights, and the side markers as blinkers. Probably try and talk to some of the LED vendors @ Bike Week and see if they have any solutions.

Yours is acting very strange for sure! I use the running HOT and signal HOT for the pod lights and I get no bleed, no dash light issues and everything works as you'd expect. The pod lights are not grounded at all. Have you tried putting the stock signals back as a temporary connection just to test this setup? I wonder if with those in place, the pod lights will react properly along with the dash indicators? I am not using that exact flasher replacement but one very much like it. Hmmmmm......

Back