Trying to reverse mods to increase MPG

schnp

Hey all,

I bought an FZ1 on Oct that already had a bunch of mods on it. The MPG is high 20s which is barely better than my 4Runner so I'd like to reverse a select one or two mods which will have the biggest impact on MPG. But I'm not savvy enough to know what impacts it the most. Here's what I have:
  • Power Commander (I haven't messed with this at all, not sure what he had loaded)
  • Ivan’s Fuel Cut Eliminator
  • Custom butterfly valves that are always a little open IIRC
  • Yoshimura (R77??) slip on exhaust (and I think a modded air filter)

Where should I start to boost my MPG the most?

Sometimes, a loss of fuel economy can be caused by other factors as well.

In my experience, a chain at or nearing its replacement limit has had a strong effect on fuel economy, losing even 4-5%. Dragging brakes would have an effect as well. In addition, using higher than recommended fuel octane can sometimes play a role. A stuck thermostat or cold start/wax valve would also cause this.

Last edited:
If you are looking for fuel mileage, the Gen2 FZ1 is not the motorcycle for you. In your case, your mileage is below average unless you ring it out every time you ride.

Hey all,

I bought an FZ1 on Oct that already had a bunch of mods on it. The MPG is high 20s which is barely better than my 4Runner so I'd like to reverse a select one or two mods which will have the biggest impact on MPG. But I'm not savvy enough to know what impacts it the most. Here's what I have:
  • Power Commander (I haven't messed with this at all, not sure what he had loaded)
  • Ivan’s Fuel Cut Eliminator
  • Custom butterfly valves that are always a little open IIRC
  • Yoshimura (R77??) slip on exhaust (and I think a modded air filter)

Where should I start to boost my MPG the most?

The gen 2 normally gets in the low or mid 30's, so don't expect a major improvement, regardless of what you do.
Make sure you have the stock sprockets. Being geared low may be the biggest contributor to low gas mileage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

get your mapping checked on the power commander. ivans fuel maps are historically too rich. then consider spark plugs, check the chain. you should be getting near 40mpg

MPG in the 35 range is what a stock FZ1 Gen2 gets around town, maybe a bit less like 32. On the highway at a steady 4,500 rpm you can squeeze 42 out of it.

With the full bevy of mods (16T front sprocket, Ivans flash and map cut air box and full Yosh system) , I get the best fuel mileage riding 2-up with my wife and all 3 hard bags attached. Mainly because I try to be super smooth. I netted 36 MPG on our last ride. With the dstock bike, I never got better than that.

Wow! What year is your 4runner?! All the runners I know of get about half that.
If you're looking for mpgs, you bought the wrong bike, modded or not. You may be in the wrong displacement class all together...

Here in the uk my modified 2007 fz1n is doing about 30mpg uk gallons. That's around town. On a run maybe 35mpg. If I give it some beans 25mpg. I do like giving it beans though

get the real butterfly valves and the real exhaust system, perhaps your EXUP valve is disconnected.

the fuel cut eliminator also wastes gas for the sake of smoothness, but it you drive at low RPM there is never an issue and the Fuel-cut eliminator is not needed. The idiots that drive around in 2nd gear at 7000rpm are the ones that need it.

Make sure you use a rather lean factory fuel map, and just try to understand your engine heat. Use the PC-III to get your fuel map as lean as you can tolerate. If you limit yourself to 6000rpm, you can run VERY lean without overheating. Some have a map switch where you can use more gas if you want to go into "hooligan" mode.

Seriously mate, keep your stupid comments to yourself. The bike doesn't get moving until 7K rpm. I didn't buy this bike to pussy around under 7k all the time, you may as well be riding a scooter.

There are many things can attribute to poor gas mileage everything from a gear change, weather, added performance parts, faulty brake calipers, and poor tuning. Most of the ECU flashes and downloadable Power Commander maps are going to make the bike run rich and will use more fuel. Since not everyone lives in the same weather climate the bikes tune will vary. The proper way to tune is with a wideband and some sort of fuel controller or ECU flashing device, the wideband you can see first hand what your AFR's are and adjust the fuel accordingly for optimal performance or fuel economy. This is where the dyno tune comes in handy they will hookup a wideband for your AFR's and write you a custom map and get optimal performance out of your bike. This doesn't fix the rest of the problems you may have but it will ensure your engine is running at it's best as long as you pick a reputable tuner.

Back