Tragedy in Oakland

Sky, You seriously open carry in PHX? Man you are nuts. One day the desert scum will not be intimidated and cap you.

Seriously, put that thing away. PHX is a nasty city.

I've been traveling there since 1969, and lived there in 1988. I'm there at least twice a year to visit friends and family.

You really need to start playing the, "What If Game." If you don't you'll really get jacked.

I've only done it a couple times. It was after a friends business that I did business with got robbed and someone got shot. I do play the what if game. After I brought my gun in to work for a couple weeks after the incident I stopped. I know what you're talking about with certain neighborhoods where even if you open carry a gun someone may shoot just to prove a point.

I know it might be crazy but I was shot at the first time when I was 11 years old (me, my brother and his friend were riding bicycles, my brothers friend flipped off these guys in an old nova, they u-turned, chased us, we ducked into some woods and they popped off 2 shots from what sounded like a .22), had guns pulled on me in junior high (kid trying to scare people) and high school (kid showing off). So, I've seen thug culture during different parts of my life and the use of guns in that context. :sport12:

Living in AZ is a little different for the way people handle their guns. For instance when I go up to Prescott for a weekend trip, I can pretty much guarantee if I go walk the commons that I won't be able to make it an afternoon without someone open carrying. I've been in Scottsdale at the gas station or actually at the tire store next to the Indian res and seen people open carry.

Dustin the only way I can think of to describe gun culture is the gangster logic of if someone brings fist, then bring a knife, if they bring a knife, bring a gun, and if they bring a gun, bring a bigger gun. The US is the only country to use a nuclear bomb on another nation.

The US is crazy, and I'm jealous of the more peaceful nature of you guys up north.

The mantra is:

"When guns are outlawed only oulaws will have guns."

It strings in some paranoia but in reality it supports the selfreliant attitude in the states. Plus the recession brings on more crime and frustration with the system as usual.

After reading about this article, I might just have to stop the gesturing and leave people alone to their stupidity.

I hear that. I am curious what your "texting" hand gesture is?

I tend to make the "hang up" gesture by making the hang loose hand shape and pretending it is a phone handle and hanging it up on a hand set in a arc and then down ward motion.

However after reading this I have decided I might not do that anymore.

Sad story and I am sorry it happened to the guy but it wouldn't have if he'd used his head.

We're on small vulnerable motorized vehicles with two wheels and no cage. Please, for your own safety, NEVER get into a pi$$ing match with a cager because they are all potential ragers. It's not worth the time, effort, anxiety if it's going to cost you what it cost this guy, or worse, the cost of your loved-ones emotional loss looking over your casket.

Why try? Why bother? You're not going to change a single person on the road because you gestured on the road. They will continue and they will be ticked off. You've done nothing but create your own situation. Yes, these people are idiots and should know better but you, the average joe-citizen will not influence them differently.

I never acknowledge anyone on the road. If I see a danger like someone texting, applying makeup, blow-drying hair (yes, I HAVE seen this!) then I hastily get around them and ahead of them if I can, or take a different route if it's presented.

Just don't do it... save everyone the anger and anxiety. Let them suffer their own consequences... most important, don't put yourself in that position. Don't tailgate, don't be in anyone's blind spot for more than that split second it takes to pass... Watch drivers using their mirrors... they almost always telegraph their intentions ahead of time. And if you cannot see their eyes in their mirrors, they cannot see you. Get into a position where they CAN see you. Last, always have an escape route, don't let yourself get boxed in.

Be smart. Be safe. And keep to yourself. Road problems are 99% avoidable by the choices you make.

After reading about this article, I might just have to stop the gesturing and leave people alone to their stupidity.

It all depends on your personal philosiphy. I believe that as a society, we need to rely more self policing. Pier pressure works. But, you also have to understand the risks.

Not to bag on the guy, but he really didnt use his assets that well. Why he did distance himself, he could have done other things. My favorite is to get ahead and out of sight, take the next exit and come back on the road, droping in behind them. They will continue to hunt you, maybe getting popped for speeding.

You can also find a "pack" of traffic on the Hwy, and use them to block.

It all depends on your personal philosiphy. I believe that as a society, we need to rely more self policing. Pier pressure works. But, you also have to understand the risks.

Not to bag on the guy, but he really didnt use his assets that well. Why he did distance himself, he could have done other things. My favorite is to get ahead and out of sight, take the next exit and come back on the road, droping in behind them. They will continue to hunt you, maybe getting popped for speeding.

You can also find a "pack" of traffic on the Hwy, and use them to block.

yeah, I knew that would only last so long. This past week I noticed a car moving around too much in its lane so I approached with caution and saw a young blond woman texting and driving.

I could not help myself so I honked and honked and honked and she never looked over... Deaf? Radio too loud? I don't know, so I moved forward a bit and waved my hand until she saw me and then made the hang up gesture.

She just smiled and waved at me as if I was flirting with her or something....

And then she went back to texting.

So I honked and motioned again, displayed a less personal hand gesture and made the hang up gesture again.... She raised her arms and shoulders in a "what of it" type gesture and said something about her mom? I guess she was trying to verbally explain to me through a rolled up window at 70mph why it was okay for her to be texting....

I then fled the scene so when she does ruin someones life on the freeway, it is not mine.

So I don't know if it's just me. But, I had a situation this morning. I was exiting the freeway and there are 2 lanes that take a right turn after a yield. I was in the left one and was on the rear quarter panel of a Grand Cherokee in the right one. We both see it's clear and begin to enter the road. The Grand Cherokee cuts across all 3 lanes of traffic cutting me off. I don't use my horn, and usually will just pop the clutch and ping the rev limiter with my GP exhaust to make a racket. I dive back into the middle lane conceding the left lane to the car. I get next to the guy and extend my arm out, palm up and make a sweeping gesture of "how much of the road do you want?" We come up to the stoplight about a quarter mile ahead. He is already rolling down the window on his passenger side so I'm flipping up my helmet. First words out of his mouth, "I'm sorry I didn't see you, I ride also, and I'm really sorry." I see the guy has a patched VFW Rider Vest on. I tell him "No worries, I just tried to let you know I was there and made sure you looked. You ride, so you know it happens. No worries." And the light changed and I rode off.

You never know what happens or who's on the road.

WOW. I try not to do anything when I see someone doing something stupid on the road, but sometimes when I try to pass on the highway and some asshle doesn't even look and almost takes me out( I usually know because I don't see them look before the swerve into my lane and I am usually ready) I cant help but giving them the "what the fck" signal, not the finger. I try to do nothing, but sometimes I can't help it. Working on it though.

Back