Too Much Bike?

Hello. I am new here and this is my 1st post. Its been 15 years since I owned a motorcycle, a GSX750. I use to ride year round, rain etc. I am a ok rider I think, never been in a accident ( knock on wood ) I rode for 8 years. Anyways, I am going to buy a motorcycle and looked at a few. For my wants I felt the FZ1 was the best fit. I have a friend that works at a Yamaha dealership and said that the FZ1 was too much bike for me. Too fast, I wouldn't be able to ride it?? Really? Is it really that advanced of a bike? This dealership has 2 new 2009 FZ1's. ( blue ). Any thoughts from people that have them would be cool. Thanks.

Welcome, as long as you know how to use the throttle there shouldn't be a problem. If you're buying new you have the whole break in period as an "excuse" to take it easy and get used to the bike I'm sure it'll all come back to you, like ridding a bike.

I went through the same thing. Had been away from riding for 10 years and got myself a Ducati.
It was hard at first but I found that as I modified the bike to my liking, (smaller front sprocket to make it more manageable in the city traffic, lower suspension for a short guy...) I gained a greater sense of ownership and control of the bike.
Control, comfortable ride control is everything, much more than the available power.

I now have an 07 FZ1 which I lowered, put a small front sprocket, raised the handlebars, put Givi bags, a tall windshield, and made it my own. It also has (from previous owner), the titanium pipes, the Yoshi exhaust, the PCIII, the filter, etc - making it a really amazing accelerating machine, for empty stretches of road and when I am in the mood. Otherwise, it is very tame and comfortable ride from the point of view of engine performance in traffic - it has a lot of pick up even in sixth gear. It makes up for a very relaxing ride...
Always respect the beast lurking below, and good luck.

Welcome!

Welcome imacdaddy ! If you have that much biking experience, you will be fine with the FZ1. Get yourself an emty toilet tissue tube, put it in your right hand, and practice 'small', precise, movements with it. . . . :justkidding:

Again , , --:welcome: You will like it here ! :tup:

Welcome, The FZ1 is my first liter bike and it really is just a matter of restraint. It will only do what you tell it to. I love mine and can't wait for the winter to pass so I can go play.

I'm sure you'll be fine with the FZ1. You've ridden before and as long as you know how to exercise proper throttle control then you'll be fine. I too hadn't ridden for a few years before I got the FZ1.

Hello. I am new here and this is my 1st post. Its been 15 years since I owned a motorcycle, a GSX750. I use to ride year round, rain etc. I am a ok rider I think, never been in a accident ( knock on wood ) I rode for 8 years. Anyways, I am going to buy a motorcycle and looked at a few. For my wants I felt the FZ1 was the best fit. I have a friend that works at a Yamaha dealership and said that the FZ1 was too much bike for me. Too fast, I wouldn't be able to ride it?? Really? Is it really that advanced of a bike? This dealership has 2 new 2009 FZ1's. ( blue ). Any thoughts from people that have them would be cool. Thanks.

With 8 years experience and having owned a GSX 750, I would not hesitate for a moment. If You like the FZ, Go For It. More comfort and room than the GSX and more power. It is a great handling bike, and like others have said (not in so many words) Don't be too ham fisted on the throttle.

When I went from the 1986 FZ 600 to the FZ-1 I accidentally did a power wheelie pulling out of the dealer being too ham fisted. Fun but, not smart on greasy new tires. By the time I was home I was used to the power delivery and handling. In that all bikes are the same, some just take a bit more control to ride well.

Hey Brad, did you get one of those tug toners?:disturbed

I'll put it to you this way..I've been riding for only a few years. My first bike was a Kawasaki EN-500. I rode that bike like it was going to be my last bike. I had to sell it off due to financial reasons. Well I just bought my FZ1 in December and I absolutely love it. Going from a 500cc to a 1 liter is a hell of a change. As long as you respect the bike and take it slow at first then there is no reason why you shouldn't buy and enjoy one. Good luck with your decision.

I bought my FZ1 new 2 years ago and I had not been on a bike for 8 years (i'm 39 now) and I rode it so slowly the day I picked it up... and I haven't looked back.

My only other bikes before (10-12 years ago now) were a ZZR250 that I learned on and then a YZF1000R... my friend back then that I rode with suggested the YZF straight after the 250, as he thought I would get bored with a 600 and just get the 1000, as it's entirely up to me to control how much power i use...

So I'm going to say the same as the rest of the folks here are saying, that it's up to you to just go easy on the throttle and get used to the bike gradually... but there's no reason to go smaller if your happy with the bike...
If you respect and take the time to get used to the bike you should be ok... it's all up to you...

same thing here with the new 09 fz1. you'll be fine on the bike, i wouldnt worry about it being too much. just ride it around the dealer parking lot for a bit before you ride it home just to get the feel for it. enjoy it man its one of the best motorcycles i've ever rode.

i say go for it! i was in your exact spot last year. i grew up on dirt bikes as a kid, then go onto street with an old vt500 then graduated to a gs1150es, what a beast. marriage and kids got in the way for about 15 years but finally couldnt shrug the annual spring fever off any more! i was worried the 02 fz1 i found would be too much after a long lay-off but went for it and couldnt be happier with the bike, just take your time getting used to your new ride, you will be fine!

My fz1 is that first street bike i've ever owned. Went looking for a 500 or 600 but fell in love with the fz when i saw it. The first week i just rode it around the yard and up and down my 1/4 mile long driveway getting used to the throttle and clutch. If i could learn on it in gravel and grass you shouldn't have any problems. Just don't pull out on the road and gap the throttle, it will wake up the beast.

Welcome, I hadnt' been on a bike for about 20yrs. when I got the FZ1. Scared the crap out of me the first time I dropped the hammer on it. Now cant keep my hand out of the throttle. Buy it, you'll love it.

Unless your friend really knows you and your riding habits an FZ1 should be no problem. I would candidly ask your friend why he said it would be too much bike for you. Maybe he has seen your skill set and things you might get yourself in trouble. It's easy for us to say, 'Go for it!' but we don't know your skill level or approach to biking. Your friend may have a better perspective. Ask him.

I just purchased a new 2009 FZ1 and its the best purchased I have made to date. I was riding a Suzuki 1200 Bandit, but the FZ1 has more power. Like may other people, I took a long brake from riding a street bike.

I felt since it had been a while, that it would be a good decision to take a rider safety course. This is the second best decision I have made. Even though I know how to ride, it teaches you much more then using the clutch, brakes and throttle.

It helps you mentaly prepare for riding each time you go out for a ride. Like being more aware of your surrounding and watching for dangers that can get in your way.

I enjoyed the class so much, I've taken steps to becoming an instructor myself. I've even heard people with many years of riding experience say they learned how to be a better rider.

You can always learn something if you are open to it.

Buy the FZ1 and take it easy at first. The bike will be ready for more when you are.

Unless your friend really knows you and your riding habits an FZ1 should be no problem. I would candidly ask your friend why he said it would be too much bike for you. Maybe he has seen your skill set and things you might get yourself in trouble. It's easy for us to say, 'Go for it!' but we don't know your skill level or approach to biking. Your friend may have a better perspective. Ask him.

I like this. He's your friend and he works with bikes so ask him why he thinks it'll be tough for you. If you put at least 20,000 miles on that Gixxer without any major issues you shouldn't have trouble with the FZ1. If you kill yourself on it remember to tell your wife ahead of time my name is Eric and I live in NH, lol.

Back