Too Much Bike?

Thank you everyone for your help. It was very helpful. Not sure why my friend thinks I will kill myself. He has never seen me ride. He actually doesn't even ride anymore. Thanks Norm. I will let my wife know. Well my ex wife. Kinda one of the reasons I am getting another bike. I am heading down to make a offer this friday. Thanks again for all your help.

No such thing as too much bike. Only too little brain use from driver. Respect the power available from the bike and you'll be fine, and welcome to the club.

Hello. ........ I have a friend that works at a Yamaha dealership and said that the FZ1 was too much bike for me. Too fast, I wouldn't be able to ride it?? Really? ..........

Crap.....the bloke probably can't ride himself. Its only too much if YOU give it too much at the wrong time in the wrong place. Even a scooter could be too much if you are a moron.......

You have experience on a motorcycle, so you should be good to go on the FZ1. Unlike it's Supersport brothers (R1, CBR, GSXR, etc.), the FZ1 is pretty tame in the low RPMs. It wouldn'tbe a bad idea to take the MSF course to get you brain back in the game.

Enjoy whatever you get!

No such thing as too much bike. Only too little brain use from driver. Respect the power available from the bike and you'll be fine, and welcome to the club.

THIS.

I learned to ride on a 400cc quad back when I was 16 in the mid 90's, then rode a 250cc 2-stroke quad and then dirt bike until about 1999. Rode dirt bikes and quads about 3 or 4 times from 1999 - Sept 2011 when I bought my 2002 FZ1.

I got on and test rode the beast, felt its amazing pull, and decided it was the right bike for me, even though it is my first street bike. It is all in how you control and handle the thing.

Post up pics once you have it!

My jumps were: 110cc to 600 cc FZ6 to 1000 cc FZ1. In all around 13 years of experience on some of the crappiest roads and traffic conditions to the very best roads.

Waiting to see the pics of your new bike!

I rode a CBX Honda 6 at 17 (the only one in Aus at the time) I'm still here. If you don't respect it a 250 can kill you. If you want it buy it and respect what it can do and your ablility.

As all the others have said - go very gently with that right hand and you will be just fine. I absolutely love my FZ1. I'll bet you will too.

Two things that I have noticed, as compared to my previous bike:
1. The steering will not turn as sharply, so be careful in parking lots to not think you can balance the bike by turning sharply at very low speeds.
2. When you do start twisting the throttle, hold onto the handlebars snugly. The acceleration can throw you back quite abruptly. This will most like not be an issue for you after moving from the GSX 750. Good luck and enjoy!

I was in the same boat, should I or NOT. I'm digging it and you don't have to go ballistic on it. What did you do ? My first ride on it was to the end of the road, turned around and hit it some. About dumped me, then a smile :Rockon:

Always a good idea to take a class... If not the BRC than maybe the sport bike class offered by MSF would ease you back into the swing of things and lower your insurance bill at the same time.

As previous bloggers wrote you should be OK. FZ1 is easy bike to ride. It's quick, but not scary. The power is certainly there, but use your head.

i had been off the bike for better than twenty years (family thing - got to keep the mom happy).
but after getting my 2004 FZ1 it has been a blast, fits me right, seat is comfey.

and lots of power, not a R1, but more than fast enough for me.

I say you will love it...just keep off the fuel, it will get you into trouble very fast.
aka tickets.

If it's comfortable, and you like it, get it.

It's an awesome all-around bike you can never find complaints about - almost too good.

The bike is NOT too fast - it can do nothing without command. It can however do more than you can plan for without training.

It is easy to go fast on it, but plenty easy to go a slower pace too. If you feel it's too jumpy, just go up a couple gears! LOL.

FZ1 was/is my first real motorcycle, bought at my OG age of 40-ish. That was after 25 years of nothing but human-power. My wreck had nothing to do with speed, and would have happened on a 250 just as easily. But if there is a hooligan in you, watch out - you can certainly get into trouble~!

:sport12:

Is there such thing as too much ( . Y . ) ??? LOL

If you can drive, you can drive. As long as you respect the machine... and drive within your limit it's all good! The real problem (probably mine too) is the amount of power on tap... I'll be in jail within the first month! LOL

Back