Today on FM 1431

If you were 1 of the 4 HD bikers I passed like you were standing still..........see ya!!

How do people ride so damn slow?

Come and live in 3 Sisters Country. It's a daily occurrence and this is Thunder In The Hills weekend. Just remember, when you wait to pass on the straighter stretches, they will wind it out.

I just don't get any feelings of satisfaction or superiority from passing riders that don't ride well.

It ain't a matter of who conquered who.

Different bikes, different styles, different skill levels .... as long as they aren't holding up traffic let them do what they want. But it's a reason I don't ride in groups.......I go at my own pace, maybe too slow for some people and too fast for others. To each their own.

.... as long as they aren't holding up traffic let them do what they want.

And therein, lies the problem.

I took a newbie out to Sabinal Canyon on Friday and noticed a mixed group of bikes catching up to us on RR 470 (westbound). I waved them through and they all, individually, gave a thank you wave.

Based upon my experience in this area, this is not a common gesture.

I've been stuck forever behind packs of Harleys lumbering through the twisties but they accelerate to illegally high speed on the less curvy sections of road. It's not a motorcycle thing, it's a social thing and riding Harleys is about image. They ain't going to pull over or wave you through.

There is a, presumed, hierarchy, at work here. I wave to all passing 2 wheel traffic but note that much of the Harley traffic does not consider that worth response.

This area is one of high motorcycle participation, this is Thunder In The Hills weekend, but the acceptance of OTH (Other Than Harleys) is not widespread by Hog riders.

It's 11:00 pm and I can hear the V-twins heading back into San Antonio as I write this. I saw more trailered-in Harleys parked at our favorite saloons today than on the road. It's not about the ride, it's about your image and the image, most often, does not include courtesy to other riders. Unless you ride a hog.

Ok boys, FRIENDLY FZ1 forum!!!! Where ALL opinions are welcomed and appreciated....unless you ride a Harley! :) JOKE! I KID!
The truth is jerks on bikes come in all forms. While I have experienced the Harley "superior" attitude, I've also seen some sport bike riders do some pretty stupid obnoxious things.
For the record, sometimes slow is GOOD. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right Missy! (hope I didn't come across as one of those jerks! If so, I didn't intend it. My bad.)

Yah, I think Dustin and I got over this via PM. I woke up thinking, "man, I overreacted". No hard feelings on my part. I did start out the thread being incredulous at how anyone could enjoy going slow on a motorcycle. But my wife would probably like that too! Then when we started the second part of that topic is when I think I overreacted. I know everyone rides freely. I think I was concerned not necessarily about the speed, but what I saw in the corners. Sometimes my opinion comes out strong, even when I should just bite my tongue. But I'm a fun loving guy, really. NOW, going to have some coffee and go out for a ride!! :) :)

Last edited:
Sypathize with 'em if you want, I'll say it straight out. The big H and cruiser crowds that travel at the speed of smell in huge groups are plain and simple a nuisance. They impede "all traffic" not just those of us with sportier riding preferences. Weaving, duck walking, costume wearing, formation forming, road "hoggin" (get it), bunch a posers. :stirpot:

No slack cut for 'em here.

Went out Monday on "Sweetpea", my Gen 1. I was riding 55-60 mph on some two-lanes where I might often ride 80 or 90. It was a perfect day. Part of the route was new to me. I am still in awe of beautiful countryside, wherever it might be. Several times I passed roads about which I had often wondered, "Where does that go." Only on this day, I turned around and took those roads. I had lunch in a little place with burgers cooked to order (Rare! Yummy and hard to get.) It was a small Georgia town where the folks in the restaurant liked my motorcycle, nodded, smiled and left me alone. The rest room was a clean uni-sex one. It had no partitions around the toilet. And a big-screen TV set to CNN. I don't remember seeing such an arrangement, especially in a small Georgia town. And I surely don't remember any television in a bar or restaurant in South Georgia playing CNN instead of Fox News. (not a slap at Fox-watchers, just an observation). After I settled in, I noticed the background music was none other than John Coltrane. My son says Coltrane, Jimi, and William Faulkner all come from a planet of which they are the only citizens. I agree.

And the point? I wouldn't have found it had I not been "meandering" or, as my brother used to call it - "scooter-pootin". I had several opportunities in which I could have let someone's behavior steal my perfect day, but I didn't. I truly love to go fast, but slow can also be addictive.

Come and live in 3 Sisters Country. It's a daily occurrence and this is Thunder In The Hills weekend. Just remember, when you wait to pass on the straighter stretches, they will wind it out.

I just don't get any feelings of satisfaction or superiority from passing riders that don't ride well.

It ain't a matter of who conquered who.

This reminds me of last year on the 2011 Hill Country Gather. We were going along Hwy 335 and came to a stretch of road (after following a group of Harleys for some time), once we hit the straight away - we (all 3 on FZ1's) attempted to pass them. Each of the Harleys seemed to be on a mission to NOT let us pass. They hit full throttle and attempted to block us. It was kind of crazy. Just don't understand how some people think. AND it wasn't just one of them that did this - it was the whole group. So apparently they had decided before they took off that they were not going to be passed.

This reminds me of last year on the 2011 Hill Country Gather. We were going along Hwy 335 and came to a stretch of road (after following a group of Harleys for some time), once we hit the straight away - we (all 3 on FZ1's) attempted to pass them. Each of the Harleys seemed to be on a mission to NOT let us pass. They hit full throttle and attempted to block us. It was kind of crazy. Just don't understand how some people think. AND it wasn't just one of them that did this - it was the whole group. So apparently they had decided before they took off that they were not going to be passed.

You just gotta roll that FZ1 throttle a few more RPMs man! :) Don't let 'em know till you are gone! ;)

Last edited:
You just gotta roll that FZ1 throttle a few more RPMs man! :) Don't let 'em know till you are gone! ;)

Don't worry Bud - We passed them. :squid:
It was just their mind set that blew me away. I have owned 2 Harley's and I never thought twice about sport bikes passing me. In fact - I was just envious of the agility of the sport bikes. That is what brought me over to the sport bike side.
To go so far as to try to block someone from passing - that is just crazy!!!

Ah gotcha. It is weird. I've seen that kind of behavior out on roads too, unfortunately. I don't quite understand why someone would block the road.....some kind of tough guy macho bullshit maybe. Life is too short to waste energy worrying about it, I believe.

Don't worry Bud - We passed them. :squid:
It was just their mind set that blew me away. I have owned 2 Harley's and I never thought twice about sport bikes passing me. In fact - I was just envious of the agility of the sport bikes. That is what brought me over to the sport bike side.
To go so far as to try to block someone from passing - that is just crazy!!!

Didn't know that about your past bikes. Glad you came over to the fast side. :stunta]:

Ah gotcha. It is weird. I've seen that kind of behavior out on roads too, unfortunately. I don't quite understand why someone would block the road.....some kind of tough guy macho bullshit maybe. Life is too short to waste energy worrying about it, I believe.

"ARE YOU READY FOR THE LIFESTYLE?"

That's one of the lines the local Harley Dealer uses and it says a lot. No mention of bikes or riding there.

I've come to believe that many of the people coming into motorcycling on HD's aren't too interested in riding but are more interested in their bad biker image and that image does not welcome others who do not share it.

I was thinking they might like me more if I got one of those head rags with skulls on it.

Back