Timing tensioner

I would think if operated by oil pressure it would leave timing chain loose for a moment at start up while oil pressure is built.

I'm also confused as to why a manual chain tensioner would be desirable. I've seen them on Gen 1s and a lot of old skool drag bikes. There must be a video somewhere that explains them. Must be afraid of spring failure with conventional ones.
That's correct. Spring failure.
I have a Honda Superhawk and unfortunately this happens all too often, causing piston to meet valves. Manual tensioners solve the problem. I installed manual tensioners on my Superhawk 15 or so years ago and haven't checked them in ages.
Pretty sure the stock tensioner on the FZ is just spring pressure, not oil.

From a Triumph website posting:

The most common design used today is essentially a spring driven worm and sector type set up. There is normally a housing that bolts to the cylinder in such a way as to bring the plunger of the tensioner to bear on a swinging tensioner shoe, as in the picture above. The plunger itself has an internal screw gear cut into it, and is keyed to the housing so that it cannot rotate along its length. A torsion coil spring is anchored to the housing and drives a shaft cut with a worm gear the threads into the plunger. This is the part that you turn to release tension when servicing.

As slack appears in the chain, the spring is able to rotate the internal shaft steplessly until the slack is gone, but if the chain tries to push back on the plunger, it cannot do so any more than you can pull a bolt out of a threaded hole without turning it; worm gears can't be back driven. Simple.
Right , I Found that out earlier today when I took the tensioner apart and put it back together and took a screwdriver on the top and turned it and tightened the Spring. I let the screw driver go and the plunger pulled out and held firm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe so bunk
I need to correct myself lol. It's operated by a spring and wormgear. Put a screwdriver in the top after you take the nut off of course, turn it clockwise and it pulls the plunger up, release the screw driver and the plunger pushed forward tightening the chain

That's correct. Spring failure.
I have a Honda Superhawk and unfortunately this happens all too often, causing piston to meet valves. Manual tensioners solve the problem. I installed manual tensioners on my Superhawk 15 or so years ago and haven't checked them in ages.
Pretty sure the stock tensioner on the FZ is just spring pressure, not oil.
So how often do they need to be adjusted?

So how often do they need to be adjusted?
So Isleoman, I just stuck my finger in the hole where the tentioner goes, I pushed on the thing the chain rides against and it doesn't push in easy. I don't understand how the tensioner keeps the chain stiff. Unless when you crank it the chain moves away from the tentioner and allows the plunger to come out. Do you know how that works?

So Isleoman, I just stuck my finger in the hole where the tentioner goes, I pushed on the thing the chain rides against and it doesn't push in easy. I don't understand how the tensioner keeps the chain stiff. Unless when you crank it the chain moves away from the tentioner and allows the plunger to come out. Do you know how that works?
Just what I posted above
"As slack appears in the chain, the spring is able to rotate the internal shaft steplessly until the slack is gone, but if the chain tries to push back on the plunger, it cannot do so any more than you can pull a bolt out of a threaded hole without turning it; worm gears can't be back driven. Simple.

It sounds like it's designed to find the loosest amount of slack during operation, adjust for that, and then not retract.

Just what I posted above
"As slack appears in the chain, the spring is able to rotate the internal shaft steplessly until the slack is gone, but if the chain tries to push back on the plunger, it cannot do so any more than you can pull a bolt out of a threaded hole without turning it; worm gears can't be back driven. Simple.

It sounds like it's designed to find the loosest amount of slack during operation, adjust for that, and then not retract.
Thanks! That eases my mind

I put the tensioner on, cranked it, sounds like a loose valve tapping. I'm just going to bring it to the bike shop, let them fix it. Something is loose. 😒

Wish it were different for ya. Can you narrow down where its coming from with screwdriver to ear? With your mileage I can't imagine it's anything serious.

Wish it were different for ya. Can you narrow down where its coming from with screwdriver to ear? With your mileage I can't imagine it's anything serious.
Yeah, it's on the timing chain side. My brother and nephew came over on their bikes and convinced me to do it myself. I can it's just with my back operation. I'm in so much pain i can hardly stand.

Yeah, it's on the timing chain side. My brother and nephew came over on their bikes and convinced me to do it myself. I can it's just with my back operation. I'm in so much pain i can hardly stand.

I'll be really surprised if you have a loose valve. Only been riding a little over 5 years but I don't think I've ever read/heard of someone having the valves get looser over time. Good luck and hope it's an easy find (and fix) for you!

Also, back pain is the f@cking worst. Went through a few years where I thought I was still young and spry. My back let me know otherwise...

Well my smart little wife talked me out of fixing the bike myself. Worth paying someone to have peace of mind that's its done right, and if it's not they have to fix it. Merry Christmas to you guys ! And if you dont celebrate Christmas enjoy your time off !

Well my smart little wife talked me out of fixing the bike myself. Worth paying someone to have peace of mind that's its done right, and if it's not they have to fix it. Merry Christmas to you guys ! And if you dont celebrate Christmas enjoy your time off !

My area will occasionally have ads on FB or CL for "traveling mechanics". Might that be an option? Would allow you to watch/help and maybe learn a little...

And Merry Christmas to you!

Merry Christmas.

If you haven't done a valve check yet, is that what you're asking the mechanic/dealer to do and then look for a tick while they are in there?

I did a cursory search and found a few possibilities. Most result were from fz1oa and some were here.

I bet your looking at a minimum 500 bucks but probably over a g to hand this off to a shop. Its winter and your faculties are diminished. Now is the perfect time to watch dewoodys videos and do some research so you can do it in a month or 2.

just my .02

Just realize, a shop doesnt care for your bike as much as you do.

Your right about that! Im glad i didnt bring it. Cause the bikes fixed, the auto chain tensioner wasn't putting enough pressure on the chain. Saw on youtube to back the tensioner out about a 1/4" then tighten it back up make the tensioner plunger push against the chain, no noise. Thank you Jesus for the best Christmas present ever ! If yall don't hear from me for a while...it's cuz I'm riding 😁

Back