The Reloader's Bench . . .

The Reloader's Bench

Lead and Copper. So what is the cost for a home loaded .223, .45, .40 ?

Tom, Not counting the brass, or labor to work the press and assemble the finished round:
Not counting the brass (I have collected all the calibers for years) in the math:

.223--bullet is 22 cents, primer is four cents, 26 grains of powder is three cents. = about 30 cents for a .223 FMJHP on average

.45ACP = about 18 cents each on average

.40S&W= about 16 cents each on average

The nickel .38spl cases in the pic were free. I found them on the ground at the local range. The 148 HBWC's were on sale and cost me 38.50 per 500 w/free shipping ! Now, the prices have gone up on these same HBWC's and are now 47.00 shipped. About 9.5 cents each.
YMMV

From the left it is a 25MM, 20MM, 50BMG, 44MAG, 45ACP, and 40S&W.

And I am thinking you are correct Craig. The 17REM Centre Fire uses a 25gr. and can use up to a 40gr. I believe. The 35gr. spitzer's are popular here when you can find them. The 17REM brass is problem-matic to find too.

I almost bought a beautiful REM. 700 in that caliber last month ! Found it on Armslist.com. I was familiar with these too, dating back to the early '80's but after some research I went with the .223REM. simply because of the multitude of component choices, better overall availabilty, and it's general overall popularity.

As you already know, the little 17's are a hoot to shoot but they just never caught on for some reason. In fact, many of the firearm's maker's have sadly dropped the caliber from current production.

As for the IMR4320 it is very popular with the 223, 22-250 crowd. I expect you remember it right. I use several of the IMR powders and have six different one's on the shelf right now. I also like BLC-2, and H335 for my 223's.

I will upload a couple of pics later today of the powders I have on hand.

Craig, I know where a sweet REM700 BDL in 17REM Centre Fire is if you want it ! He is asking 1250.00 and it has nice scope (a Nikon 4x12, I believe) mounted up. He was trying to sell it to me and I think it's still available if you are interested. :cheers:
Thanks but trying to import to Australia would be hard and expensive. I also prefer Sako Vixens for the small Cal 17/223 as they have a short throw bolt.

Back