The Reloader's Bench . . .

Hey Guys,

The AMMO crunch . . . . . :eyebrow:

As some of you already know, I am back into reloading metallic rifle and pistol cartridges. What you may not know is the price of the needed 'components' to produce a loaded round has doubled and in some cases tripled in just the last two and a half months ! yeeeouch . . . . .

It's a great hobby. Not quite as much of a thrill as riding your tricked out FZ1 across town on the rear wheel but, it ain't bad. At least it wasn't until the current 'ammo-crunch . . . . ' ! daaaaang , , , ,

Anyway, I was just curious to see if there are any of our multi-talented patron's on here that are maybe experiencing the same pain . .? :jaw drop:

I'm not really venting, as it's still a most enjoyable hobby for me and so far , , , I am able to shop the web and order in what I need. And yes, some of the more popular things are seemingly always 'out of stock', and the 'no backorders taken at this time' are found on alot more of the various suppliers product's page's these days. I do believe however that the current back-log we are seeing should improve in the next few months.

On the plus side , , , the private sector in many of the reloading forums is chocked full of all kinds of component-goodies and it's really fun trading info with the guys there.

:cheers:

Last edited:
When I was young I used to reload shotgun shells. It was not by choice but my dads summertime sweatshop. ;) Needless to say I would rather ride a bike outside.

That being said I wish I head the gear to do this now. Fortunately, I stocked up on more than enough ammo to get me to the range every other week for the next year. I stocked up a month or two before all the hysteria started. I actually expected it to subside by now.

Your reloading bench seems much less cluttered than mine, I barely have the space anymore. I feel your pain prices and availability are terrible right now, current prices have taken a toll on how much I can spend on modding the fz1

Ha !

Ha . . . You guys should see my bench now . . . it surely needs to be straightened and tidied up a bit. :shame:

Along with HAIL, I too have been storing factory ammo as most shooters do, but I am really surprised (as you guys already know) that it has remained so 'high' for so long . . . . . :tdown:

I will get some newer pics up soon. The bench is evolving and already looks really different. :thinking:

I wanted to ride the HELIX to the range today , , , but it started snowing ! It has quit for now, but more flurries in store for tomorrow . . .. . yuk !

I worry that prices won't come back down like they should, but I'm a believer in a conspiracy by anti-gun office holders (trying not to be too political :angel: :nono:) tightening the screws on amo manufacturers under the table. I wonder when it or if it will let up. They'll make you have to be a criminal to get amo. :box: :dontknow:

I'll stay out of the political side of it but I worry the manufactures will see that people are willing to pay these new prices and they will have no reason to lower the prices when this situation calms down

I hope it will back off when we start leaving Afghanistan and whatever happens (or doesn't happen) in Congress about guns is finished. Then as attention re-focuses for the general population driving this hysteria, things should drift back toward normal as demand falls off. I hope....

I picked this particular time to go back into NRA HP competition and getting that equipment is nothing short of 11+ months of waiting. I want/need to upgrade my AR15 Match rifle to a 6mm high performance cartridge. 6.5mm parent brass to form a 6mm AR15 cartridge is impossible to find or ridiculously priced if you do find it. There are tons of people trying to take advantage of this situation which doesn't help either offering stuff simply at outrageous prices.

Fortunately, I don't have any shortages of supplies, mine are just a few years old.

Hey Guys,

The AMMO crunch . . . . . :eyebrow:

As some of you already know, I am back into reloading metallic rifle and pistol cartridges. What you may not know is the price of the needed 'components' to produce a loaded round has doubled and in some cases tripled in just the last two and a half months ! yeeeouch . . . . .

It's a great hobby. Not quite as much of a thrill as riding your tricked out FZ1 across town on the rear wheel but, it ain't bad. At least it wasn't until the current 'ammo-crunch . . . . ' ! daaaaang , , , ,

Anyway, I was just curious to see if there are any of our multi-talented patron's on here that are maybe experiencing the same pain . .? :jaw drop:

I'm not really venting, as it's still a most enjoyable hobby for me and so far , , , I am able to shop the web and order in what I need. And yes, some of the more popular things are seemingly always 'out of stock', and the 'no backorders taken at this time' are found on alot more of the various suppliers product's page's these days. I do believe however that the current back-log we are seeing should improve in the next few months.

On the plus side , , , the private sector in many of the reloading forums is chocked full of all kinds of component-goodies and it's really fun trading info with the guys there.

:cheers:
WTF are those two cartridges on the left? Read through this and thought I have a memory question, It just popped into my head that when I was reloading my 17 Rem, I used 24.5 grains of 4320 behind a 25 grain projectile. Does this sound right? It was in the early 90s I think and my brother has all the reloading gear and books now.

The Reloading Bench

From the left it is a 25MM, 20MM, 50BMG, 44MAG, 45ACP, and 40S&W.

And I am thinking you are correct Craig. The 17REM Centre Fire uses a 25gr. and can use up to a 40gr. I believe. The 35gr. spitzer's are popular here when you can find them. The 17REM brass is problem-matic to find too.

I almost bought a beautiful REM. 700 in that caliber last month ! Found it on Armslist.com. I was familiar with these too, dating back to the early '80's but after some research I went with the .223REM. simply because of the multitude of component choices, better overall availabilty, and it's general overall popularity.

As you already know, the little 17's are a hoot to shoot but they just never caught on for some reason. In fact, many of the firearm's maker's have sadly dropped the caliber from current production.

As for the IMR4320 it is very popular with the 223, 22-250 crowd. I expect you remember it right. I use several of the IMR powders and have six different one's on the shelf right now. I also like BLC-2, and H335 for my 223's.

I will upload a couple of pics later today of the powders I have on hand.

Craig, I know where a sweet REM700 BDL in 17REM Centre Fire is if you want it ! He is asking 1250.00 and it has nice scope (a Nikon 4x12, I believe) mounted up. He was trying to sell it to me and I think it's still available if you are interested. :cheers:

Looks like 30mm and 20mm rounds.....next to a 50 cal.

I don't reload 17, but one of the handbooks I have shows 4320 loads (25gr projectile) running from 22.6 to 25.2gr, so 24.5gr looks like its OK. Velocity (24" bbl) between 3900 and 4000fps.

I'm so slow at typing.....

Last edited:
The Reloading Bench

I think it is a 25MM only because that is what is stamped in military style ink on the body of the shell. The next one is stamped 20MM.

I agree Duster that the bigger one looks MUCH bigger than what a mere 5MM increase would maybe indicate . . . . :eyebrow:

I did a quick count today of the powder supply and this is what I have on hand:
(All are one pound containers:)
5--W231 3--IMR4198
2--H110 2--IMR4227
1--H335 2--IMR3031
1--BLC(2) 2--IMR4831
1--Unique 2--IMR4350
2--IMR4064

Here are a couple of updated pics.
As you can see, the 'bench' is getting a bit more cluttered. :popcorn:

Be glad you got your Dillon stuff - I'm 5 weeks into an unknown wait for a 650 - ordered with all the options that count. Things have gone crazy for Dillon, Dillon equip is selling for incredible prices on eBay right now....

I put a case feeder on my 550 and didn't appreciate that the case feeder basically converted my 550 to pistol only. It is not the kind of option that you take on and off and to reload rifle again, I would have to remove the case feeder - something I am not going to do at this point. The feeder sure is sweet though!

I load my short line (200yds) ammo on Dillon and anything else (300-1000yds) is loaded on my Bonanza Co-Ax press one round at a time. Until my 650 shows up, I'm reloading everything one at a time....come on 650.....

I'd be happy to come over and help you reload and UNload ;)

If you need help getting the TMax home, I'd help there too ;)

I can't believe how nice and helpful I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome!
I am coming to your house when the zombie apocalypse comes. :D
I actually had a similar childhood to Brad. I spent a lot of time reloading shotgun shells as my whole family shot skeet when I was going up.
I kind of share the concerns of everyone about ammo and prices. I don't see them coming down anytime soon.

I'd be happy to come over and help you reload and UNload ;)

If you need help getting the TMax home, I'd help there too ;)

I can't believe how nice and helpful I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ! I believe it Troy, you are very helpful. I enjoy your insight and your opinion. I like it when guys are not afraid to express themselves. . . . and you and Billy really shine in that department------:shine:

BTW, I am going to INDY one day and look at the new BMW 650cc SCOOTER ! My curiosity is peaked . . . . :poke:

Duster, I have heard that ALL the reloading suppliers are behind in production. And yes, I was so lucky to get mine when I did. Now, everything, including most components are backordered.

You will love the 650. I wanted the 550B because I just don't feel the need for auto indexing. I like to be abit more hands-on and believe it or not, it seems to help with the arthritis in my fingers and hands.

Let me know when you get it. :)

Wow nice set up, I had to look around for some powder for someone in Montana, found it at Cabelas. Things are way more Crazy than 4 years ago, I don't see it ending this time.

Just sit on what you have, you may need it. HLS is stocking up for when we all have had enough :2cents:

since this thread has the potential to get off track with politics and whatnot, just a reminder, we don't do that here.

Keep it about reloading, and everything is cool. Go political, and things will get handled quickly and furiously.

Back