The Dragon 'n The Smokies

Strider7

Some of these pics have already been seen in past MBOM threads, but for those that don't follow the MBOM's ...

They are from a one week trip I took to The Dragon(US129) and The Smoky Mountains this past August. It's only about a 14.5 hour run from where I live just south of Houston, so I made a days ride to get there and then camped at Fontana Village's campground. I only got a few pictures because it was a solo run - most of mine are. I did my typical 'leave at midnight' drill which set me up nicely for breakfast and a much needed coffee break around 6 AM in Slidell, LA. There is a Waffle House in Slidell right off of I12 that has become my regular stop when I'm headed east. I like to think of it as 'Cajun waffles and coffee of last resort!', because after Slidell you are just about out of Louisiana.

There was some rain, there always is in the mountains, but it wasn't oppressive and in no way hampered my trip. I am glad I took the time to apply a fresh coat of seam sealer to the tent though, lol! It was the first trip I have taken with the Givi V35 hard bags. They performed well, and are a solid investment for anyone that will tour on their bike. Mine are paired with SW-Motech quick release mounts.

The center stand makes for easy chain maintenance (I do it every 500 miles). My SV650 doesn't have a center stand, and when I took that bike for a 16 day trip to Cali in 2012, I had to use a little doohickey called a Wheel Jockey Sport to take care of lubing the chain.

There is more I could say for sure, but I'll quit for now and just post some pictures ...

Oh yeah, and PULLED PORK SANDWICHES!!!

Last edited:
I stopped being lazy and uploaded more ...

Arrived at camp and got setup just as the evening fog started to set in. There are 20 campsites, but I had the campground mostly to myself after the first day. Of those 20 sites, probably only 3 other sites were being used each night.

Opps ... I didn't realize how blurry this one was, ah well ...

The run from the Damn to the CROT is a good warm up for the Dragon.

Yeah, I like that run too. In fact, I think I actually prefer 28 to the Dragon. The Dragon is so tight and technical that it's more like work than fun. You have to pay so much attention to life safety that you can't really enjoy the ride. At least that's how it is for me. 28 is a little more open, so you have more of a safety margin and can relax a little - I like that.

Being that it's 14+ hours away from home for me, I have to play it safe when I'm up there. Be a shame to have to trailer my bike home.:eek:

Some of these pics have already been seen in past MBOM threads, but for those that don't follow the MBOM's ..

Say What?!?!?! :jaw drop: Everyone follows MBOM!!! Or at least I hoped they all did! LOL
Seriously though, some good pics there...I hope to ride there someday myself to see what all the hype is about :)

Nice pics mate, it looks like a real nice spot.
Thanks Brudda! Yeah, it was a nice spot. I will definitely do it again.

awesome pics! i'll be doing the same sorta thing this july
You're gonna have fun!

Say What?!?!?! :jaw drop: Everyone follows MBOM!!! Or at least I hoped they all did!
Yes, of course! What ever was I thinking!:p
Seriously though, some good pics there...I hope to ride there someday myself to see what all the hype is about :)
Thanks! Don't hope, just do it!:D

Nice pictures and good looking FZ.

Where's all the other bikes? Too wet?

Thanks ... X 2!! Probably a combination of the weather, and the fact that it was the 2nd week in August, and in the middle of the week. Most folks I think, were already done with vacations, and starting to get the kiddies ready to go back to school. Typically less folks out there during the middle of the week.

Back