The Beast Mod Thread

Nice work man keep it up and keep us posted. you could powdercoat the parts for next to nothing. When they have a batch of black to do just take you parts in and they don't charge much. You may have to wait a little while when they are going to do black though. There are powder coating shops in just about every town just type in powder coating and your town on google something will pop up.

Where would I go to get the powdercoat done? I'm in Phoenix/Scottsdale if anyone knows of a location.

I saw somebody that may have been on the Fz8 site that had done the plasti-dip on their hangers, it looked good.

Will the lights short out or break if I dont' use the relay right away? I'm kind of getting antsy to finish up the tailight, tail tidy turn signals and put the front turn signals on later.

Nothing will short out- they will just blink "fast":flash::flash:

I have a question. Is the FZ8 Clutch perch a direct replacement? I look at the parts diagrams, and the perches look totally different. I want to get mirrors on my handlebars and move them off of the fairings. Did you buy a new master cylinder or are you just going with one mirror?

I have a question. Is the FZ8 Clutch perch a direct replacement? I look at the parts diagrams, and the perches look totally different. I want to get mirrors on my handlebars and move them off of the fairings. Did you buy a new master cylinder or are you just going with one mirror?

all the switches and spring tension for the clutch adjuster fit well. the diagram for the parts website doesn't make it look different that much. if you are going to keep your fairing I would not do handle bar mirrors. you would run into some clearance issues. maybe find some spare mirrors and create a mockup to check for sure. rhizome I have some beautiful bar end mirrors that would work just as well. I'll take a picture when I get home at full turn to show you how it may look

Last edited:
So the only thing that I would need would be the clutch perch, no other hardware? I never really thought about clearance issues, I would have to double check that. The only thing that I would think it would interfere with would be the windscreen.

So the only thing that I would need would be the clutch perch, no other hardware? I never really thought about clearance issues, I would have to double check that. The only thing that I would think it would interfere with would be the windscreen.

The FZ8 clutch perch is identical except has a spot for a mirror. I used it on my bike with no issues whatsoever. On the master cylinder side, just drill and tap the blank spot.

...hang on, I'm trying to find words but it's easier to just run upstairs and snap a pic...

Here.View attachment 13001 On your bike there will just be a capped over spot where my mirror is mounted. Drill it, tap it for threads, and stick a mirror to it. Not sure how clearance would work with a fairing, but there are some pretty low-profile mirrors available. They don't work as well as stock, though. Be ready for that.

I had considered the drill and tap of the master cylinder but the front was all scuffed up in the accident and for $130 I got a whole new setup off the Fz8 and that one is almost identical except the factory had already drilled and tapped it.

The Fz8 mirrors for me to be able to have the angles right to see come forward of my hands, I would be at full turn it will catch the windscreen for sure.

If you decide to powder coat your passenger peg mounts, let me know. I have a extreamly custom pipe hanger that I made that I can send to you. I would even be willing to loan you my rider foot controls if you want to PC coat yours. I went with the Rizoma rear-sets and love them.

Parts that I had powder coated.

11E62A67-1A97-4CDB-8993-D3C47DAF5DAD-9718-00000C308F4AC6D3.jpg

And the finished product.

9FA7E74A-1FD4-47C4-8326-1614098B700C-10085-00000E0F32C8875A.jpg

Here is the custom pipe hanger.

E65780DA-3193-4A4B-A2E4-BA46484FE70B-6533-00000878501A4E5D.jpg

Last edited:
If you decide to powder coat your passenger peg mounts, let me know. I have a extreamly custom pipe hanger that I made that I can send to you. I would even be willing to loan you my rider foot controls if you want to PC coat yours. I went with the Rizoma rear-sets and love them.

Parts that I had powder coated.

I like the hangers blacked out like that. I think that mixed with the GPR G.P.E. stainless black exhaust would look perfect.

View attachment 13005

Has anyone ever tried the exhaust pipe wrap on the Fz1. I met a guy who had a GSXR6000 that had put the wrap on his header, he said after about a year, the extra heat on the pipe caused it to crack and he needed to replace the header. Does this sound reasonable?

Has anyone ever tried the exhaust pipe wrap on the Fz1. I met a guy who had a GSXR6000 that had put the wrap on his header, he said after about a year, the extra heat on the pipe caused it to crack and he needed to replace the header. Does this sound reasonable?

Don't waste your time with exhaust wraps. TFrom my experiance they are a waste of time & money. If you do want to coat it, do it with an exhaust spray paint. That way if it does start to chip or flake it is easy to re-spray or remove altogether than a wrap/tape. Or even better is a ceramic coating.

Be aware that any coating you do to the headers will change the temp of the return gas and may effect the tune. This is more of an issue with two strokes, but you may have some mild issues with a four. From experience it is more noticable with a wrap than with paint as the wrap holds the heat where as the paint dissipates heat better than a wrap.

I'd personally leave it alone.

Don't waste your time with exhaust wraps. TFrom my experiance they are a waste of time & money. If you do want to coat it, do it with an exhaust spray paint. That way if it does start to chip or flake it is easy to re-spray or remove altogether than a wrap/tape. Or even better is a ceramic coating.

Be aware that any coating you do to the headers will change the temp of the return gas and may effect the tune. This is more of an issue with two strokes, but you may have some mild issues with a four. From experience it is more noticable with a wrap than with paint as the wrap holds the heat where as the paint dissipates heat better than a wrap.

I'd personally leave it alone.

I probably will leave it alone, I just want to get an all blacked out look or more streetbrawler than just streetfighter. I'll check out the ceramic coating.

I plan to in a couple months after I get myself some good mileage and experience to do the PowerCommander EX (that's supposed to be the street legal version). I want to have a few maps, one really tame commuter map for getting me better mileage, one for long distance hauling, and another for canyon carving. So, I'm not worried about the tune as I should be able to get it all fully tuned.

Ok guys update:

Brakes:
I am having the Hel lines installed by my local shop on Thursday, for some reason I'd feel safer having them do it, although I know shops make mistakes too.

****When I have them putting the lines on do you think I should do new brake pads and/or rotors?

I get a lot of brake squeek and when I put the bike up on the stand and rotate the rear and front wheel, they don't rotate freely, they grate/friciton rub for about 1/4 to 1/2 a rotation. I know the rotors could be warped (or slightly bent from crash). The bike only has 6300 miles on it. From what I understand is that a properly setup brake system will make no noise when spinning freely on the stand.

Would I be ok to just do the lines, because I have all the parts for that now and wait a little while longer for pads and rotors?

Electrical:

My friend who is an electrical engineer is going to help me with all the soldering and make sure it's all ok. I got all the wires from the wiring harness separated out. I'm going to go to Bob's Used Bike Parts and buy 4 used turn signals. He has a rubbermaid bin of them on the floor at his place and I think they are $5 a piece, or they may even give me a couple. I'm going to butcher the turn signals for the plugs and solder them onto my LED signals.

For the euro harness I'm going to check out an electrical connector store and see if they have the matching plug for that harness.

In the end I will have the Xenon H4 headlight, 2 browlights, 2 Front LED turn signals (maybe running lights), 2 rear LED turn signals, LED tailight with Integrated signals. For all you electrical geniuses out there, do you think I will need any resistors to control the blinker speed with this setup?

Wish me luck this should be a big week, and I will be so close to being done. I just plan on replacing the airbox cover and buying the FZ1N rad guards, ohhh and powder/ceramic coating the header, rearsets, and passenger peg hangers.

Ok guys update:

****When I have them putting the lines on do you think I should do new brake pads and/or rotors?

ask them to clean the pistons/calipers.. can't hurt
and they can also check the discs for warpage, the bike is fairly new but you have crashed it already and one or both rotors(the aluminium part) could be bent... it can fixed by a good mechanic with the right tools

I was really wondering what to do about the horrific looks my bike had as far as lighting. I really appreciate your post. I'll be ordering lights both front & rear from this company.

No worries man, I got the headlight from partshark.com and the xenon bulb from my dealership (could use PIAA if you got deep pockets). The tailight is motodynamics LED off ebay (I went with the clear lense as it will be a match to the front, unlike doing a smoke lense) and the turn signals are LED from creese1 on Ebay (he supposedly get's custom made LED signals).

Good luck man.

Going to have to look over this thread a few times before I do the FZ1N front conversion for sure. Also I really want that LED tail light..

Back