Testing Top Speed FZ1

Aerodynamics of your body as well. Put your hand out the window at 80, and imagine doubling that. FZ is like a billboard in the wind!

I am impressed how much difference it makes on that explanation page by dropping the car 1 inch - .5 s.f. of frontal area... Imagine the difference of getting better tuck behind a lower screen - that would easily be 1 s.f. or more. And getting angled h-bars... and rearsets.... Several s.f. less frontal area!

Oh yeah - R1... THATS how they go so much faster! ;)

My new top speed tracked by two gps units at once is 161. Indicated it read 177 or so? Was kinda holding on too tight to notice. Full leathers, 70 degrees and open farm road. Test rode my buddies s1000rr and saw 187 indicated. Very, very evil bike that thing is.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Aerodymics are the key, hp is much less of a factor. Given very good aerodymics, and a long enough straight even very low hp vehicles can get well into the triple digits.

Even with motor mods I don't think the FZ1 top speed would be much greater as the power required is huge.

Aprilia 50cc turbo:

Buddfab 50cc Motorcycle streamliner - YouTube

I watch this every week or so,, it still thrills me. Great going guys! :tup:

This video probably depicts the best "real" test of the bike, with a rider, in the real world. However, a bike at that speed is like a bullet, it doesn't move laterally very well, if at all. Consequently, it any of those cars had decided to change lanes as he was approaching, he'd be hamburger spread all over the road. I've done it, once, many years ago, at night on I-75 when there was no traffic. When I looked at the speedo as I was hugging the tank, and it read about 162, I had this feeling "what would happen if a deer decided to spring out in front of me? Never done it again, maybe why I've been able to ride for another 27 years.

i would hate to be afraid to ride my bike, ya must be a real worrier, ya could get killed as easy, probably easier crossing the street, stop worrying about stuff that might never happen, enjoy life and do the things you want to, FEAR IS A DISEASE

Nice thread guys, nice reading about the true top speed of the beast. However prefer seeing these number on this thread than on my bike with me hanging onto my bars for dear life. Nakeds are sexier than the faired version but the aerodynamics not as good. Coupled by the fact that the roads in my area are canyon styled. So I don't plan on finding out for my self.
Bro says he pinned his fz6n on a straight once. But I'm not eager to do the same on my fz1n.
Always remember this phrase, it is not the speed that kills you, but the sudden stop.
P.S. would try it if we had a closed track in my area though, and I was dressed for the occasion.

I'd love to visit the flats and do some straight-out runs. I ONLY ever hit 5 mph over on my FZ1 or anyone else's bike. :bs: And that's the truth! :Liar:

I would also be up for a full speed run on my FZ1N, only problem is they would put me in gaol if I got busted.

Speeding is like a capital offence over here.

I would also be up for a full speed run on my FZ1N, only problem is they would put me in gaol if I got busted.

Speeding is like a capital offence over here.

No kidding - they are targeting motorcycle riders in your neck of the woods. I wonder what's up? Simple revenue grabbing? That pops up around here from time to time.

Up here in Ontario they have passed a law called the Stunt Driving Law. Anything 50km
(31 mph) an hour or more above the speed limit is considered Stunt Driving, meaning you lose your license for a minimum of 3 months, your vehicle is impounded for 10 days (minimum), and a fine starting at $5000.00. Lifting your front tire on takeoff, or at any other time also falls under the heading of Stunt Driving in their opinion. Just a heads up to anyone who might be thinking of coming up this summer.

Up here in Ontario they have passed a law called the Stunt Driving Law. Anything 50km
(31 mph) an hour or more above the speed limit is considered Stunt Driving, meaning you lose your license for a minimum of 3 months, your vehicle is impounded for 10 days (minimum), and a fine starting at $5000.00. Lifting your front tire on takeoff, or at any other time also falls under the heading of Stunt Driving in their opinion. Just a heads up to anyone who might be thinking of coming up this summer.

Similar in my state ( Delaware ) Anything 20mph and over the limit is a review of your license and possible 6 months loss.

A wheelie, burnout, any stunt ( even revving the motor ) is a ticket for " speed exhibition ".

Do any of the above and you usually get a reckless driving charge to go with it. ( Automatic loss of license ) 6 months

WOW!!! That is stiff!!
31mph.
I can't tell you how many times .............

I NEVER need to try a top speed run!

This is great. You have all done it for me.

I mean, look, this is my first "running street bike," I am 58 and became a grandfather in December. My wife of 31 years would killed me (twice) if I got killed doing 155+mph. I am so conservative I thought "WTF" last week when I gave it the gas at a yellow light in 3rd at 45mph and ended up at 68mph on the OTHER SIDE of the intersection (is that my heart UP in my throat?). :wilynily:

I did VERY stupid things with dirt bikes as a kid, but 155mph on pavement???
Someday I will even shift gears above 5,000rpm, but top speed...NOT.
Its for braver men than I. :bowdown:

I'd just tell them that "hey! I'm a stunt man"!! :stunta]:

Back