Testing Top Speed FZ1

I hate to see the states, or any government, legislate stupidity beyond our reach, but as we develope machines that are greater than our abilities I guess thate we, ourselves prove the necessity. I have two bikes, both capable of well over any speed limit but when you get right down to it, what does the bragging right do for someone who says they went 165? As we age and mature, we eventually come to the conclusion that being able to ride more often or for a longer period beats 60 seconds at 160 and jail time hands down.

Would the taller windscreen help?

I think that's it more than anything. The naked bike, upright seating, and windshield felt like I was dragging a second bike with me at those speeds. If I put on a small windshield and tucked I know I could have got more out of her because the aerodynamics were killing her at that speed. But like you said, the bike is set up so I'm very comfortable so I'm not complaining.

Has anyone used the Yamaha taller/wider wind screen for high speed? (like this 58 year old grandpa IS EVER GOING ABOVE 70) :banghead:

At 6' 2" I got allot of head wind from my face shield up at my new high speed of 61mph the other day on a very short downtown highway. Just curious if the aftermarket touring wind shield gives you "more to hide behind" or does it just "turn into a giant sail." :deal:

Last edited:
THANK YOU Lonerider59

I hate to see the states, or any government, legislate stupidity beyond our reach, but as we develope machines that are greater than our abilities I guess thate we, ourselves prove the necessity. I have two bikes, both capable of well over any speed limit but when you get right down to it, what does the bragging right do for someone who says they went 165? As we age and mature, we eventually come to the conclusion that being able to ride more often or for a longer period beats 60 seconds at 160 and jail time hands down.

Agreed! I do not ride for a living at the track or on the Salt Flats. I've killed ENTIRE forests printing tests and reviews of all the known Naked bikes, Hayabusas and ZX-14s. I can so live with the high speed numbers from professionals and still know my (1st bike) 2008 FZ1 is "SCARY FAST" and just enjoy the ride at posted speed limits. "With Age Comes Reality"

At 6' 2" I got allot of head wind from my face shield up at my new high speed of 61mph the other day on a very short downtown highway. Just curiopus if the aftermarket touring wind shield gives you "more to hide behind" or does it just "turn into a giant sail." :deal:

I'm not sure what brand the screen that was on my bike when I bought it was. It was much taller and wider than the stock one, but all it did was create a lot of turbulence and direct it at my head. And by the way I'm also 6'2". Someone shorter would probably have been ok.

I much prefer the shorter and more angled profile of the Magical Racing screen.

Touring screen:
attachment.php

Magical Racing screen:
attachment.php

I saw 275km/h (170mph) indicated on my gen 1 once. My ex had a ZX-6R/636 that I saw 290/180 on once. After I did that, I told myself I would never try it again. That was 3 years ago so clearly I lied.

90% of the time, I'm pretty conservative. There's always those guys you see on the forums who say stuff like "I always go WOT every time I ride, everywhere I go" or "I can't even go 10 minutes without hitting 150mph"; I'm not as cool as them though :lolup:

There's always that little spark in you that says 'go for it'.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what brand the screen that was on my bike when I bought it was. It was much taller and wider than the stock one, but all it did was create a lot of turbulence and direct it at my head. And by the way I'm also 6'2". Someone shorter would probably have been ok.

Touring screen:
attachment.php

Magical Racing screen:
attachment.php

The second one with CFiber look sweet!

When I bought my 6R that was my first issue. Wind buffering. Got to a point I was either going to fix it or trade the bike in (After about 2 weeks) Nothing was available at the time that would fix the problem. So I did my own. It was a lot of work and learn from my mistake but at the end of the day ti work great. I did a group buy also. Sold about 10 or so. On mine I add a spoiler on top. It did help a lot.. it's about perfect for me. The air is clean and goes right above my helmet.

Nice

Great addition. The CF looks great.

Last edited by a moderator:
1976 kz900 at 28

I saw 275km/h (170mph) indicated on my gen 1 once. My ex had a ZX-6R/636 that I saw 290/180 on once. After I did that, I told myself I would never try it again. That was 3 years ago so clearly I lied.

90% of the time, I'm pretty conservative. There's always those guys you see on the forums who say stuff like "I always go WOT every time I ride, everywhere I go" or "I can't even go 10 minutes without hitting 150mph"; I'm not as cool as them though :lolup:

There's always that little spark in you that says 'go for it'.

In 82 I bought a basket case KZ900. ONE TIME, when it ran, I went 90mph on the freeway. I saw how fast the guard rail posts were blurred and thought, "I have a one year old at home. What if I came off at this speed?" Even renting HD, from 2001 to 2011, I've never done that again. (and NOW I have a 3 month old grandaughter). High Speed runs are for the pros paid to do it on a closed course. At 58 it's enough to KNOW the FZ1 can do sick speeds (while riding down my street in 2nd at 25mph). I STILL have a giant grin on my face knowing I finally have a bike. : owned: I am so okay not being as cool as Speed Freaks.

:rmwl:

Back