Tar Snakes

Who knew these are man-made?

I guess I never thought too much about it.......thinking it was creeping up out of the road during high heat. But, sure enough. They make them.

So, yesterday I was riding thru central Texas on CR 619 and I came onto some of these in a corner that were shiny and wet looking. I decided to slow down a little, but still felt my back tire slide a little bit. I decided to slow further down. Good thinking. Just around the bend was a road crew truck and they are just spraying tar wherever they deem a crack is in the road. Seemingly in no particular pattern, just filling it in as the go along.

Yea, construction crews here in Texas don't pay any attention to how what they are doing can effect a motorcycle. I hit a damp patch of lime at 2 am on my way to work. They didn't think to clean that up until AFTER I went down. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stayed up.......remembering my dirt bike days. But I could almost swear the guys on the crew were crackin' a wry little smile as i went around their truck...:(

Our roads up here are chock full of tar snakes and they do nothing but give your bike a little wiggle. White lines, too. A non-issue up here in BC, even in the winter... rain, slush and sub-zero temps give you nary but a wiggle

Maybe we use a different formula for our snakes and lines here than you guys do in Texas. The climates are certainly different with 60 inches of annual rainfall and an average summer temperature of 75F

Last edited:
Our roads up here are chock full of tar snakes and they do nothing but give your bike a little wiggle. White lines, too. A non-issue up here in BC, even in the winter... rain, slush and sub-zero temps give you nary but a wiggle

Maybe we use a different formula for our snakes and lines here than you guys do in Texas. The climates are certainly different with 60 inches of annual rainfall and an average summer temperature of 75F

Ya mostly a non issue as long as they don't "pave" the road with it...Also something to keep in mind is that "little wiggle" often causes bar imput which as we know is unwanted at high speed/deep lean angles. I could do without 'em...."pave the planet":D

Got 'em here in Utah as well. They can give you quite a start on hot days, We also chip the roads (spray goo all over and cover with rock) the rock often piles up on the sides of the road when they are done and if you run into that mess you can go down or get a big rush of adrenaline. It will also crack the windshield on your car or chip up your paint job if you are traveling behind another vehicle too close.

The bike slips a bit on them in turns but once you've felt it a few times it's not too bad. Painted lines in rain scare me more. My bike has slipped inches on them in turns a couple of times...close calls.

Back