Tank Removal/Paint Newb Questions

First off I have a GEN I 2005 FZ1 naked and I have painted the rear cowl and want to move to the tank.

I can't seem to find out with searching here, but if I remove my tank is gas going to go everywhere? There should be a valve for the reserve/cutoff that is closed right now (winterized), but is that all I need to do? I haven't removed a tank before! I am going to paint it, so should should I remove the fuel cap parts and drain it, or can I leave it filled if I tape around it?

Anyone with experience here with advice would make my day, thanks!

RE:

The tank removal is pretty straight forward and simple. But do yourself a favor, get a manual. It makes working on things a hell of a lot easier. If not, when you start taking things apart, take lots of pictures. I use painters tape to label certain things and the best part is the tape doesn't leave any residue.
Good luck..

If you are going to paint the tank you will want to remove all the hardware and paint it completely. That's the way I paint but it is more work.
I would also drain the tank as gas is so combustible. I understand that painting SHOULDN'T ignite it but you can't be too careful. However a full tank is quite a bit heavier than an empty tank and harder to work with.
The most common way to take the tank off is to remove the bolt at the top of the tank (closest to the speedometer) and then raise the tank. I use a bungee chord and hook it to the garage joust. A lot of people will use something to prop the tank up. Then you turn the fuel off. It's easy and actually clearly marked. I use a sharpie to mark the 3 (I think it's 3) connections under the tank so I don't get them mixed up. I mark the connection on the tank 1 - then wrap some painters tape around the line to form a writeable space and I mark 1 on the corresponding line. That way I don't get my connections mixed up. Then remove the hinge and you are good.
Thinking about it - you really should drain your tank because in order to paint it and do a good job you will need to turn the tank all around and really get at all the angles. That would be pretty tough to do with a tank that wasn't empty. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Last edited:
OK - I couldn't find this at 1st - here is a write up with some pics:

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/disassemblefueltank.html

That is very helpful! I did manage to remove it last night and had a heck of a time draining it! It was completely full and I got most of it out, but the last bits seem to be impossible to get. I took the petcock off too, but there is still a bit in there.

The only part I need to consider now is how I paint it. Should I tape the tank components or remove everything? Should I worry about getting paint inside the tank (ex. tape the holes)?

I'll do more research, but thank you for this, it is great, and now I know what size tubing I should have on hand lol. I just put a breather tube on the fuel line and drained it down, maybe not the best idea, but it was all I had!

That is very helpful! I did manage to remove it last night and had a heck of a time draining it! It was completely full and I got most of it out, but the last bits seem to be impossible to get. I took the petcock off too, but there is still a bit in there.

The only part I need to consider now is how I paint it. Should I tape the tank components or remove everything? Should I worry about getting paint inside the tank (ex. tape the holes)?

I'll do more research, but thank you for this, it is great, and now I know what size tubing I should have on hand lol. I just put a breather tube on the fuel line and drained it down, maybe not the best idea, but it was all I had!

The proper way to do it is to remove all components, it just makes a more professional job and makes it easier in the long run. I would avoid getting paint inside the tank, it doesn't belong there, so tape all the openings.

If you still have fuel inside you can get a cheap syphon kit at Walmart and drain the rest of it out the top filler opening. I would get it as empty as possible, it will make handling it easier.

I would definitely remove all the hardware. You want to get the most complete and professional paint job that you can get.
Probably even more important than that - DO NOT LET ANY paint get inside the tank. Last thing you want is a bunch of junk clocking fuel lines, carbs, injectors, etc. The gas will probably dissolve most of the crap but it's just not worth the risk. I would tape the hole to the gas tank and take a razor blade or something similar to cut the tape and trim it around the hole. You want to get as close as you can to the hole while still having the emphasis on protecting the tank.
Here is the link to the color matching site if you want to go with OEM colors.

Motorcycle Paint - ColorRite

Last edited:
OK found a tank video.
LOL
This guy is a little cheesy but overall - he has good videos. He makes simple, no non-sense videos. They are easy to follow...........

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHwWCZXm3GY"]How To Paint Your Motorcycle Tank: From Start To Finish-Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

The reason I posted this particular guy's video is because he advocates (and shows you how to) use everyday tools. That will save you a lot of money and seems to get pretty good results.

Last edited:
Back