Stupid Deer

I was out cycling today, way out NW of Austin near Leander for you locals. I was way up on a hill and I could see about 3/4 of a mile down the hill. A car and a truck pass me going down the hill. Just as they get to the bottom of the hill a deer begins to sprint across this divided four lane road from left to right. The car and truck begin to slam on their brakes. By this time the deer in the bar ditch and hits the brakes and cuts away from the vehicles. I'm thinking this is going to be good. Then a second deer comes out of nowhere following the first. It sees its friend hit the brakes so it does the same, only it is still on the pavement. The deer goes down and slides as if it's going into second base. (Sorry Aussies and Brits, you'll just have to look that up to see what I mean.) The deer is heads up, on its butt, slides across the two lanes and a very wide shoulder and into the bar ditch. It pops up and makes it between the car and the truck and keeps hauling ass across the rest of the road. Well then there is a concrete culvert the road is crossing over. The deer goes off the road into a ditch that is about 20 feet deep and disappears. By this this time I'm at the bottom of the hill standing up on the pedals trying to get a better view into the bottom of the culvert. No sign of the deer. Either she ran up the dry stream bed and I didn't see her or she cut back under the road inside of the culvert. All I know is that deer has some good road rash on her ass!

Big rats is what they are.....they eat everything I plant! Like it's their own little 'salad bar'. :hellno:
But I still don't like to see them hurt :( and very happy she didn't cause any one else to get hurt!

I have a t-shirt that says "The Whitetail is Evil therfore I must kill them and eat them"
I swear they laugh when they cross the road. And when my arrow goes under them on the rare occasions that I miss.
BTW I butcher my own and IMHO they taste better than beef.

Well as much as they get in the way and whatever they may do, they were here first and have to live somewhere. We keep pushing everyone out of their habitats, and wonder why they can't go somewhere else.
When I drove through Wyoming last year I saw more deer then I've ever seen in my entire life, and I've lived in Washington and Idaho, where there are TONS of them. Maybe they should extend the hunting season in some areas to thin them out a bit more.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That must have been quite a site Pete. Seeing all that unfolding before you sure was entertaining. Glad to hear no one really got hurt. I'm pretty sure the deer's fur/skin will grow back...lol

Last Thursday leaving work two of them crossed right in front of me in the driveway leading to the street. I had never seen them in our parking lot before and I was actually startled by them because they came out from behind the building just as I was reaching the corner of the building. I would surely never want to hit one...

That must have been quite a site Pete. Seeing all that unfolding before you sure was entertaining. Glad to hear no one really got hurt. I'm pretty sure the deer's fur/skin will grow back...lol

Last Thursday leaving work two of them crossed right in front of me in the driveway leading to the street. I had never seen them in our parking lot before and I was actually startled by them because they came out from behind the building just as I was reaching the corner of the building. I would surely never want to hit one...

I said to myself, "This is going to be good." I was sure the first deer was going to run into one of the vehicles.

This was also way out in ranch land area so not that many houses, yet. The problem is the drought. We haven't had any real rain since May, and before that who knows. So far this year only 8 inches. Usually we are at 20+ inches by now. So the animals are coming in to find water. Most ranch stock ponds are bone dry too.

The other animal that is out of control here are wild hogs. My neighbor's house backs up to a wild green belt and his back yard was torn up by them this year. There are so many hogs there is a proposal out to allowing hunting by air.

Back