Strategy needed to get cages to BACK OFF!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I tried the flashing the brake lights and "crazy Ivan" swerving on the way home this evening with some apparent success.

As for the suggestions that may piss someone off, i.e. tossing nails, coins, etc., that would definitely be satisfying. However, I ride the same road at the same time every day with a very recognizable neon yellow jacket and neon camo reflective backpack (not to mention a super sweet and unique looking FZ1!), and don't want to make enemies that might be tempted to seek revenge via vehicular homicide. "Oh Officer, I don't know what happened. I never even saw him." A car taking out a motorcyclist is one of the surest ways in the world to get away with murder.

Lot's of off the wall responses in this thread. If you are riding and paying attention who has access to a handful pennies, nuts, bolts, nails and other sundry stuff to toss at the following driver, or be able to reach in and pull out a weapon (made in jest, who knows)? The truth of the matter is you don't have a lot of options to keep a tailgater off your ass other than to flash your tail lights or to maneuver and get out of the way on your own. Showing road rage is always dicey, on a m/c it is looking for trouble which you will usually come out on the short end of the stick. Responding to bad behavior with more bad behavior just gives more ammunition to those that want to marginalize or get rid of m/c's on the road.

The comments made about nuts, bolts, coins, weapons, etc. were all said in fun. No one with any common sense would ever think of doing such things as it was stated in many of the posts. I'm sure we're just trying to keep the thread entertaining while throwing in some good methods to keep the cagers from trailing to close to you while riding. Avoidance, brake lights, and slowing down until they pass were all mentioned as well and thats pretty much all you can do when in that situation.

Well, you have to be casual about it. Take your hand off and sit back like your stretching. Then lean back and drop them as you grasp the handle. I've never had to do it, and I've had jerks ride the rear for no reason other then they were pissy. I was tempted though. I HAVE kicked a dent in someone's door before however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have kicked someone also but they were changing lanes. LOL It was an "OH SH&T" reaction. I swerved onto the median shoulder and kicked my right foot out. My steel toe boots made a good thud!! The driver slammed on her breaks and I didn't see her again.
That was scary!!!!
On a second serious note: If someone is tailgating you and you are NOT in the fast lane - the best defense is to drop down a few miles in hour. DO NOT STOP!!!!! But just drop about 5 mph slower than what you were doing before. If the tailgater is not trapped behind you by traffic and can switch lanes, this usually does it.
LOL
I have seen SO MANY PEOPLE drive down I35 between Austin and San Antonio and they are cruising at 80, 90 to 100mph. I see them stay in the same lane and drive right up on someone's tail and then slam on their brakes!!! LOL They stay behind the person like THAT IS THEIR OWN PERSONAL LANE. LOL That is another crazy part of commuting in heavy traffic.

I have kicked someone also but they were changing lanes. LOL It was an "OH SH&T" reaction. I swerved onto the median shoulder and kicked my right foot out. My steel toe boots made a good thud!! The driver slammed on her breaks and I didn't see her again.
That was scary!!!!
On a second serious note: If someone is tailgating you and you are NOT in the fast lane - the best defense is to drop down a few miles in hour. DO NOT STOP!!!!! But just drop about 5 mph slower than what you were doing before. If the tailgater is not trapped behind you by traffic and can switch lanes, this usually does it.
LOL
I have seen SO MANY PEOPLE drive down I35 between Austin and San Antonio and they are cruising at 80, 90 to 100mph. I see them stay in the same lane and drive right up on someone's tail and then slam on their brakes!!! LOL They stay behind the person like THAT IS THEIR OWN PERSONAL LANE. LOL That is another crazy part of commuting in heavy traffic.

Thats exactly what I mean. I just start to slow down a little at a time until I'm 5mph or so below the max speed limit. I'm not talking about hitting the brakes. I never hit the brakes if I'm slowing down. It usually works all the time and your not pissing them off. If your on the brakes they feel as if your doing it deliberately. I just slow down in the course of a mile or so and they almost always get into the passing lane. After that, they are happy and I'm happy!

Yield to the bigger, heavier guy and you'll live longer. :)

Motorcyclists die because they think they are entitled to something on the road. They are not. The fact is that no matter what the law of humans says, the law of survival says that in a battle between car & bike, car always wins. The best thing to do is yield like your life depends on it, because it does.

My every day commutes are problem-free and incident-free because I follow that belief.

Motorcyclists die because they think they are entitled to something on the road. They are not. The fact is that no matter what the law of humans says, the law of survival says that in a battle between car & bike, car always wins. The best thing to do is yield like your life depends on it, because it does.

My every day commutes are problem-free and incident-free because I follow that belief.

Thats pretty much "spot on" Dustin. When you live in an urban setting, it's not always "joy and happiness" when your out on the road. Sometimes its downright "draining". I've had commutes when there wasn't a minute of relaxation for the entire ride. It's a battle sometimes where you can't let your guard down for a second and you need to think 4 steps ahead of everyone else.

Thats why if I'm not commuting, I head out at the crack of dawn and head to surburbia where I much rather deal with animals than cagers. I can get 4 hours of riding in and still be home by the time the cagers are waking up. I've been doing that for as long as I can remember. I know it's not "fool proof", but it gives me better odds of coming home unscathed.

You know these days, you'd have someone leave class and break out their piggy bank. You can't even joke around like that anymore. I do remember that back in the day, the Harley guys would all carry a "closed" section of chain over their arm and God help you if you tried any nonsense on the road. I still know at least two guys that still carry theirs.

I wasn't agreeing with the content or situation in which she gave that information - but I couldn't take it as serious advice, no matter what her intent was.

That last part reminds me of a video game called Road Rash.

:+1:

I can't say my travels are without incident, at least once a week someone comes over on me, pulls out in front of me, turns left in front of me, you name it.

However, I do see these things coming and plan ahead accordingly. I also follow the "drive as if no one can see you" approach, since most of the time they really don't.

I hadn't thought about it in a long time myself, but that reminded me of it.

Shew I used to play that game sooo much as a kid. I didn't think I'd ever own a bike while I was playing it though.

I hadn't thought about it in a long time myself, but that reminded me of it.

Shew I used to play that game sooo much as a kid. I didn't think I'd ever own a bike while I was playing it though.

yeah, i didn't either. the best one was road rash 64 for n64. they had all the classic weapons, with cattle prods too, which zapped the rider and rendered him uncontrollable and then you kicked him and he would coast into street signs and other objects

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X534W-qGUfQ]‪Road Rash 64 (Nintendo 64) Gameplay‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

i'm gonna check to see if they have roadrash available for download on playstation network :sinister:

I know a few people who toss steel ball bearings over their shoulders. They have also kicked in car doors at stop lights.

I personally weave around like a dumbass, they usually back off. However, around here there ususally is not traffic so I for the most part have the room to blast away. I will just gun it to around 120, then slow back down to normal and that puts a big gap between me and that asshole. If they catch back up at that point and do it again, then I move over and let them pass.

yeah, i didn't either. the best one was road rash 64 for n64. they had all the classic weapons, with cattle prods too, which zapped the rider and rendered him uncontrollable and then you kicked him and he would coast into street signs and other objects

‪Road Rash 64 (Nintendo 64) Gameplay‬‏ - YouTube

i'm gonna check to see if they have roadrash available for download on playstation network :sinister:

Too friggin funny! Thanks for posting that one!

Back