Strategy needed to get cages to BACK OFF!

What strategy (preferably friendly) do you use to get drivers to give you more space when just gunning it to escape is not an option? I have commuted on CA freeways in heavy traffic for years and continue to struggle with cars driving too close.

Keep your old spark plugs in your tank bag. If they get too close simply, and casualty toss one over your shoulder. I learned that one about 30 years ago from a crusty old Norton cafe racer from NorCal.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Crazy Ivan

I do what I call a "Crazy Ivan" just an exagerated lane weave or two. They figure I'm going to lose control, which usually makes them stay back a bit farther.

Funny thing with the porcelain on spark plugs if a little bit of that hits the window it will shatter. I do the Crazy Ivan method myself lol

When I had to go to traffic school for my speeding ticket a couple years ago ... the teacher said to keep a cup of coins (pennies for a warning, quarters to do damage) and chuck them out the sunroof if someone was following too closely.

I usually hit the brakes a few times, not to slow the bike down, but just to grab their attention. This usually works...

Some cage drivers here in NZ like to travel close to my tail, [I dont like it] I do the brake light trick too, works most times. I have the brake light kit in my Givi V46 Top Box and works as a high brake light so they can see me braking better.

Last edited:
Back when I took my first safety course the instructor said to carry steel nuts and bolts in your pocket. I still do. :) that way they think something fell off the bike...or another car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys be serious and help this guy out.
You buy a gun an point it them. If they are texting - Fire a shot into their radiator. Works every time!!! Guaranteed!! :tup:
Seriously - I would look at making yourself REALLY visible. Make SURE that someone sees you. Bright colored clothing - reflective vest - LED Lights on the bike. The problem that I see it that THATS THE WAY PEOPLE DRIVE in highly congested areas.
When I'm in that kind of traffic, I try to stay in the far left lain because there is the least (i think) chance of someone slamming on their brakes. The traffic generally moves faster in the far left. The advantage of this is it usually gives you a good 5 feet or so to swerve onto the median shoulder. That can be a life saver.
I would also say roll with the traffic. If the flow of traffic is going 15 miles over the speed limit - I go 15 miles over the speed limit. You won't have so much tailgating if you are flowing with traffic.
Finally - that's just part of the game. The bottom line is that a lot of drivers pay no attention - or no attention to moto drivers.

I don't understand why safety instructors would tell someone to carry coins, nuts, or bolts. That sounds like a recipe for trouble. You toss back some nuts and bolts to the wrong person here in NY and you'll wind up having them try and run you down or off the road. I usually do the "brake light" method and if that doesn't work I just slow down enough that they go around. Either that or I'll power forward to a safer slot in the traffic.

here is another problem if you actually toss something some other bike down the line behind you is gonna hit that crap.I tap brake or power away to a safer slot

Well, you have to be casual about it. Take your hand off and sit back like your stretching. Then lean back and drop them as you grasp the handle. I've never had to do it, and I've had jerks ride the rear for no reason other then they were pissy. I was tempted though. I HAVE kicked a dent in someone's door before however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was hoping the instructor was kidding -- if she wasn't, I still took it as a joke, I can't imagine doing such a thing.

You know these days, you'd have someone leave class and break out their piggy bank. You can't even joke around like that anymore. I do remember that back in the day, the Harley guys would all carry a "closed" section of chain over their arm and God help you if you tried any nonsense on the road. I still know at least two guys that still carry theirs.

Well now that the fine officials in Wisconsin state government have seen fit to give us concealed carry I have a new strategy in mind. As of some time in Nov. it will be legal to carry a concealed handgun. I wasn't going to get a permit, but this post brings a few aggresive cagers to mind. My strategy will be to overtly pull my weapon of choice, my .44 Tracker is a real heart stopper(some call me a gun nut, I prefer enthusiast) from it's perch in my shoulder holster and point it directly at the offending driver. If that doesn't get them to back off, nothing will.

The above statement was competely in jest. I am a responsible gun owner, and believe nobody should ever point a gun unless they intend to use it. I truely hope the situation that forces me to point one of my weapons at a human never arises.

As for a method to get a cager to back off. I just gradually slow my pace. I don't care if they get even closer. Eventually they will get the hint and take another lane or go around. The other choices are usually seen as aggressive and confrontational. There are far more Horses Asses than Horses today.

I have been known to get behind the offending driver and follow them for quite a distance to have a discussion.About 2 years ago I followed a guy for about 40 miles where he finally pulled into a police station and locked his doors and laid on the horn with me standing there beating on the side of his car i was freakin pissed!!

Lot's of off the wall responses in this thread. If you are riding and paying attention who has access to a handful pennies, nuts, bolts, nails and other sundry stuff to toss at the following driver, or be able to reach in and pull out a weapon (made in jest, who knows)? The truth of the matter is you don't have a lot of options to keep a tailgater off your ass other than to flash your tail lights or to maneuver and get out of the way on your own. Showing road rage is always dicey, on a m/c it is looking for trouble which you will usually come out on the short end of the stick. Responding to bad behavior with more bad behavior just gives more ammunition to those that want to marginalize or get rid of m/c's on the road.

Last edited:
Back