Stock header vs Yoshimura header

NJFZ1

Just wanted to show a picture of the two side by side. All along I had thought that the stock header was a 4-->1, but it turn out that it's a 4-->2-->1 just like the Yosh. Biggest difference you'll note is how much longer the primary tubes (before they merge into the 2-->1) are on the Yosh. This is why this header provides such a nice torque boost in the midrange. I guess Yamaha had to merge their much sooner so that they could place the catalytic converter closer to the front of the bike (earlier in the exhaust path). This was done so that it could get up to temperature faster and therefore be more emissions "friendly".

Nice, thanks for posting the photos.

What's the weight difference?

Not much once you remove the catalytic converter out of the stock header. I would say maybe 2-3 lbs at most. The stock header has additional bracing and seems to be made of a thicker gauge ss (probably to retain more heat and help with the efficiency of the catalytic).

Now the stock muffler is a different story all together when it comes to weight difference. There the aftermarket one can easily save 5-10 lbs over the stock one.

Last edited:
Just wanted to show a picture of the two side by side. All along I had thought that the stock header was a 4-->1, but it turn out that it's a 4-->2-->1 just like the Yosh. Biggest difference you'll note is how much longer the primary tubes (before they merge into the 2-->1) are on the Yosh. This is why this header provides such a nice torque boost in the midrange. I guess Yamaha had to merge their much sooner so that they could place the catalytic converter closer to the front of the bike (earlier in the exhaust path). This was done so that it could get up to temperature faster and therefore be more emissions "friendly".

Didnt you look under the bike before you bought the pipe :eyebrow:. It would want to be a massave HP increese to be worth it(at least 8-10hp). should sound better though.:+1:

Didnt you look under the bike before you bought the pipe :eyebrow:. It would want to be a massave HP increese to be worth it(at least 8-10hp). should sound better though.:+1:
Nope, never bothered to look at the stock pipe before I bought the Yosh. I knew I wanted it based on everything else that I had read about it. I go the full R-77 exhaust w/ cf muffler on my bike.

Ok where can I get the Yoshi headers? I placed a call to Yoshi and they have them but it's going to cost around $600 already have the Yoshi TRC Tri Oval installed just looking for the header and mid pipe.

Make your own?

With that info, looks like some ingenuitive sort might buy some y-pipes and exhaust pipe from some place like Jegs or the local muffler shop, use the stock primaries and weld up a custom header. Maybe add some extra length to the primaries.

Ok where can I get the Yoshi headers? I placed a call to Yoshi and they have them but it's going to cost around $600 already have the Yoshi TRC Tri Oval installed just looking for the header and mid pipe.

The Yoshi header and mid pipe are one.
I don't think you can fit it to the TRC slip-on as it's longer than the TRC that comes with the full system.

Last edited:
Does anyone have before and after Dyno sheets for replacing just the header?
Comparing the decatted stock pipe with the Yosh pipe?

not to mention the Yosh system is very shiny I just dont like how long the silencer is or I would have bought the system instead of my MIVV

The Yoshi header and mid pipe are one.
I don't think you can fit it to the TRC slip-on as it's longer than the TRC that comes with the full system.

That is correct...mid pipe that comes with the Yosh header is different than mid-pipe that's included in the slip-on kit.

Looking at the stock headers, with some fab work you could alter them to be similar to the Yoshi headers. Mmmm i have a pal who is a top welder, woudn't be a bad idea giving it a go if i could pick up some cheap 2nd-hand FZ1 headers or R1.

Does anyone have before and after Dyno sheets for replacing just the header?
Comparing the decatted stock pipe with the Yosh pipe?

Full Yosh system tested-dyno charts - FZ1OA Message Board

Not sure I understand exactly what you are looking for. Here's a thread on the other forum where Ivan shows dyno runs of the full Yosh system, a full Akra system and a slip on type system. All the runs have his other mods but the difference between the slip on chart and the full Yosh is likely due to the header design. Basically there is a major improvement in mid range power with the Yosh header design. The Akra header offers similar (not quite as good perhaps) improvements. . . .

Full Yosh system tested-dyno charts - FZ1OA Message Board

Not sure I understand exactly what you are looking for. Here's a thread on the other forum where Ivan shows dyno runs of the full Yosh system, a full Akra system and a slip on type system. All the runs have his other mods but the difference between the slip on chart and the full Yosh is likely due to the header design. Basically there is a major improvement in mid range power with the Yosh header design. The Akra header offers similar (not quite as good perhaps) improvements. . . .

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Hi. I looking for the yoshimura header. Could you help me to find where I can order it. If you can please for me . Thank yoo

I find BikeBiz are really good to deal with and aren't too much more expensive then buying from OS. If it's close I will always support the local guy. They also replaced my K&N non fitting airfilter with a nice BMC airfilter with no hassles at all.

Back