Stock can

Osup

Hey all. I was just wondering if I'm in the minority here. It seems that everyone here has opted to go with an aftermarket exhaust. I understand the performance upgrade, but personally the performance is just fine for me with the stock can. Looks wise.... I really LIKE the looks of the stock exhaust! It's the only bike besides the Buell (which you can't really see anyways) that I actually think the stock can looks great!

As far as sound goes, I think the bike sounds fantastic! It has a great growl cruising around town and always turns heads. When I get on it, It seems like it's almost TOO loud.

So....am I crazy?:scared0016:

Works for me

I have a 2008 Grey FZ1. and I think the stock can looks fine. I have seen a few aftermarket cans that look interesting, but I just can't see spending the money when I am not going to the track yet. There is more than enough performance in stock form. I will put in a K&N or BMC filter when it is time to change the stock one but that's it for now. I did have one person tell me that the stock can looks like a Dyson vaccuume, I laughed.:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

if you like it... no, you're not crazy... but in all honesty, wouldn't you at least like to powdercoat the front and rear to match the rest of the can?

The front and rear of the can actually matches the silver of the radiator. So no, I think it all flows nicely.

I have a 2008 Grey FZ1. and I think the stock can looks fine. I have seen a few aftermarket cans that look interesting, but I just can't see spending the money when I am not going to the track yet. There is more than enough performance in stock form. I will put in a K&N or BMC filter when it is time to change the stock one but that's it for now. I did have one person tell me that the stock can looks like a Dyson vaccuume, I laughed.:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

HA! Yeah. I had a good friend of mine compare it to the cannon on his old 95 ZX-7. I think the FZ's is quite a bit smaller.

So. I guess my next question is, is a PCIII still a good buy if I keep the stocker? Dyno tuned of course.

These bikes are very exhaust and intake restricted from the factory. If you're not changing both I don't see the point of a PC III or V. Save your money for something else like Ivan's FCE.

Sorry Osup - I think you are crazy!

Getting a new can was the first - and still the best mod I did! And the weight saving would amaze you. The stocker weighs a ton!

Get rid of it! After all, 99% of FZ1 owners can't be wrong, can they?

Cheers

Simon

No offense, but I almost didnt buy my FZ1 just because the exhaust was hideous. (IMHO).

I put an MIVV GP on mine, and it was been one of the best performance mods I've made...and Ive dont most of them.

FWIW

Schrader

If you like it, whatever works for you. The only reason you think it sounds great now is because that is the only thing you have. It is not possible to "not like" the sound of an aftermarket can on this bike. You also think it performs just fine since you don't "really" use the performance of the bike, or this is the highest performance bike you have owned.

I didn't like it, but due to the LEOs here all starting to crack down on anything over 106 dbs, I may be forced to put it back on. (Also the reason I kept it)

You're not crazy at all. It is merely personal choice and if you are happy with it, who cares what anyone else thinks. :D

But the sounds of a Two Bros..... :drools:

Don't worry! I like it to. As I get more in to track days I may eventual get a full system. For now I have cosmetic CF mods make me happy. Just looks better than the silver heat shields on the charcoal gray 2009 version.

I didn't like it, but due to the LEOs here all starting to crack down on anything over 106 dbs, I may be forced to put it back on. (Also the reason I kept it)

You're not crazy at all. It is merely personal choice and if you are happy with it, who cares what anyone else thinks. :D

But the sounds of a Two Bros..... :drools:

There are tons of choices under 106 DB...hell the track noise limit here is 104-105 DB!

We've tested several and none are below 106. Bummer. I guess I can try the 2bros P4 tip as a last resort. I tested at 112 db.

So, when I am near a cop or in town, I just run in a higher gear and a low RPM so I don't attract attention. So far, so good.

We've tested several and none are below 106. Bummer. I guess I can try the 2bros P4 tip as a last resort. I tested at 112 db.

So, when I am near a cop or in town, I just run in a higher gear and a low RPM so I don't attract attention. So far, so good.

Back when I had my SV1000, I had a pair of M4's that would set off car alarms 2 blocks away. It seemed cops would pop out thin air every time I got on it! Same with my old 95 ZX-7 with a full Muzzy system. Freaken LOUD. Maybe over the years, I've just learned to appreciate a little stealth for when the inner hooligan comes out to play :innocent0002:

Well, I just ordered the P4 tip for the Two Bros... it is the slammest tip I can get and claims it will not be louder than 99 db. Stock is 97 db. They also say "Power loss is minimal" so I'm not sure what that means.... ;) What to THEY deem "minimal" anyway? I look at it this way though... regardless, I still got rid of nearly 12 lbs swapping out for a Two Bros. :tup:

Are the stock caps metal? If so, I'll just paint them black should I have to return to the stock can. :D

And if I do.... mini poll.... Do I remove the EXUP butterfly or reattach the cables to the servo? (I do not have a power commander).

Back