Speeding ticket advice from law enforcement or lawyer would be nice

up_on1

I know it’s a little late for me to be asking since I have to be in court tomorrow but I’ll check this site tonight before I go to bed and first thing tomorrow morning. I was issued a ticket for 84mph in 70 and I have a clean driving record prior to this ticket and that would be 4 points on my license. I was advised by one lawyer to see the Officer who wrote me the ticket and ask him to please reduce it to 9mph over so that it will just be just 2 points on my license. I was also advised if the Officer doesn’t want to help me out to ask the clerk for a trial by jury.

The Officer who wrote me the ticket is different than the one who clocked me with radar gun since I’m not sure that is going to make a difference as who needs to be in the court house.

What if the police officer who wrote me the ticket doesn’t show up in court?

Another lawyer advised me to ask to have my ticket changed from speeding to careless driving since it doesn’t carry any points but the fine is higher fine.

Does it sound like I was giving good advice?

Thanks

Not very familiar with the traffic laws in your state, but it sounds like you were given good advice. Always go to court for traffic citations. If you feel it's severe enough that it may influence your driving privileges, then definitely lawyer up...

I've heard very good things about this website. Check it out for more advice...

Fight Traffic Tickets / Contest Traffic Tickets with the Ticket Assassin: Your Guide to Fighting California Traffic Tickets & Contesting Traffic Citations in California

Well I got to court and spoke to the officer who wrote me the ticket and he told me he will get to me soon. So I sat down for maybe 10 minutes and he called my name and asked me what I would like to do. I told him I would like him to lower my offense to 9 mph over and he said he could do that. I had my fine reduced from $133 to $81 and paid the $81 fine and I was back business. The local lawyer wanted $400 to do what I did in 10 minutes. That gives me savings of $452 to spend on motorcycle toys and maybe something for my family being that Christmas is coming soon. :)

Well I got to court and spoke to the officer who wrote me the ticket and he told me he will get to me soon. So I sat down for maybe 10 minutes and he called my name and asked me what I would like to do. I told him I would like him to lower my offense to 9 mph over and he said he could do that. I had my fine reduced from $133 to $81 and paid the $81 fine and I was back business. The local lawyer wanted $400 to do what I did in 10 minutes. That gives me savings of $452 to spend on motorcycle toys and maybe something for my family being that Christmas is coming soon. :)

Congrats on the lower fine. So how many points did you wind up with? Maybe you could spend an additional 50 bucks or so and take a safety course to knock down any additional points.

Congrats on the lower fine. So how many points did you wind up with? Maybe you could spend an additional 50 bucks or so and take a safety course to knock down any additional points.
Billy, 9 over is just 2 points and that will not affect my insurance in SC and you can only take safety course once every 3 years so I want keep that Ace for another day if needed.

I don't know about SC, but in California if you are radar-ed by one officer and cited by another both must show in court for the infraction to hold up. I beat a ticket like this once because only the ticketing officer showed up to court.

Back