Sometimes I hate people.

If I am asking 4400 for a bike on CL, why would you offer me "2600 cash right now"?

I replied with a very simple pile of words.

"That is not even a low ball"

He then responds with "Well I could do 3000, but I dont really think I am going too. If you want to think on it let me know".

I just told him its not going anywhere for under 4K, and that he can take his business elsewhere as I DON'T have to sell this bike. I can keep them both, I just find no reason to.

Ugh, sometimes I just hate CL.

[/Rant]

While the offers people sometimes make on items are laughably low, it's nothing to get pissed about. That same person is probably contacting a large number of people making lowball offers hoping to get lucky, and eventually they will. Just let them know what you are willing to take and move on :D

It may be tempting to feel insulted by a low ball offer. After all, you're asking what you believe is a resonalble "win win" price. However, the purchaser has learned some sellers are desperate to sell and will take immediate cash just to be done with their product. Haggling over price is an age old tradition in many countries and for many people. I recommend responding, "my price is firm; thanks for your interest" -and let it go.

Last edited:
There is no inherrent value to any object, everything is only worth as much as the most the highest buyer is willing to pay for it.

Sometimes, the seller recovers all or most of thier own costs, sometimes not.

For example, my wife just bought a piano that is over 120 years old for $50.

She asked me how much did I think it was worth after we saw some online for over $10k. I told her exactly $50, because we were the ones that bought it.

But once we owned it now has $0 value, because it is only worth however much it goes for when it is sold, and while it is in our possession it has no inherent value.

It may be tempting to feel insulted by a low ball offer. After all, you're asking what you believe is a resonalble "win win" price. However, the purchaser has learned some sellers are desperate to sell and will take immediate cash just to be done with their product. Haggling over price is an age old tradition in many countries and for many people. I recommend responding, "my price is firm, thanks for your interest" -and let it go.

Beautifully stated!

I agree. You gain nothing from a response of anger. But I do understand the feeling. It is tempting to take these kind of responses personal but they don't know you and you don't know them. As said, this person is likely fishing around for a desperate seller. Like you said, you don't have to sell so you can let them know your price is firm or respond to such saying you are not entertaining offers below $4000, etc.

There is no inherrent value to any object, everything is only worth as much as the most the highest buyer is willing to pay for it.

She asked me how much did I think it was worth after we saw some online for over $10k. I told her exactly $50, because we were the ones that bought it.

But once we owned it now has $0 value, because it is only worth however much it goes for when it is sold, and while it is in our possession it has no inherent value.

Unfortunately, your logic is flawed. Absolutely everything has an inherent value. Your confusion is placing a value at a particular time but at any particular time it does have a value. At the moment it is worth $50 to you because that is what you paid, however if at some future date you discover the piano was signed By Leonardo DaVinci, then the value could be in the thousands or the sound board could be cracked and you got screwed. :)

On the radio today the reporter couldn't get their mind around where the trillion dollars went from the stock market then it crashed in '08. How did people "lose" a trillion dollars? Where did it go? They didn't understand that things only have a value is someone places a value on it. No demand, no value. Remember Beany Babies from 2000? That was funny.

Unfortunately, your logic is flawed. Absolutely everything has an inherent value. Your confusion is placing a value at a particular time but at any particular time it does have a value. At the moment it is worth $50 to you because that is what you paid, however if at some future date you discover the piano was signed By Leonardo DaVinci, then the value could be in the thousands or the sound board could be cracked and you got screwed. :)

No he's spot on CJ, things only have a value because we asign one to it. Again Beany Babies (or condos in Florida for that matter), the "rare" BBs were selling for $1,200 each; then the tech bubble burst and people wised up on what/which things actually have value and suddenly the "rare" BBs had no value at all.

No he's spot on CJ, things only have a value because we asign one to it. Again Beany Babies (or condos in Florida for that matter), the "rare" BBs were selling for $1,200 each; then the tech bubble burst and people wised up on what/which things actually have value and suddenly the "rare" BBs had no value at all.

You should read my post again and realize that you are supporting what I said.

Which is: Everything has a value, even if the value isn't assigned. For instance: If you died tomorrow. Your possessions would have no value to you but to the folks handling your estate --- everything would be assigned a value.

I sell a lot of things on Craigslist and can almost guarantee I will get one absurd low-ball per week. I used to get annoyed at them but now I simply just reply and say no in a nice way. It's not worth your effort to get stressed out. :)

I'm in your camp on this. A professor once asked a female student if she would trade her diamond engagement ring for his bottle of water. Of course she said "No." He then said "I understand. Now how about if we were in the desert and after three days or so, with little hope of escaping, would you make the trade then?"

Joe you're right about everything having value and the fact that value changes over time and place. However, since value itself is subjective, it is exactly only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, as Jeffibus has pointed out. If he tries to sell his piano and there are no takers then its value at that time is zero. The air we breathe is free and no one would pay for a bottle of air. But what if, as in the movie "Spaceballs" you ran out of air. Then it is priceless because no one could survive a few minutes without it. It then becomes one of the most valued of all "things."

Values do have a time and place.

I asked a real purty girl if she would sleep with me for a million dollars, She said yes I would.
Then I said how about 20 dollars? She said "what kind of girl do you think I am?"
I said we alread established that now Im just negociating the price.:tup:

On a true note. I once looked at a Bandit 1200 for 4500.00 I offered 3500. was the best I would give. He said NO THANKS! on month later in fact the day I brought home my FZ1 the phone rang, I answered only to hear "If your still interested I'll take your offer for 3500.00. I politly told him I just bought the FZ.
And boy am I glad I did that.
I didnt mind spening more for the FZ at the time it was worth it.

Last edited:
I am new to the site and I found the 2001 Fz1 I purchased by looking all across the country on CL and where I thought I could I would offer what I was willing to pay to travel to get the bike. Low and behold I picked up a 2001 with 25k miles for 1800. The guy wanted more like 2800 but I told him what I thought the high miles were worth to me and what it was worth to me to drive and pick up the bike. He took the money and I now have the bike......priceless.

Hey Papa-I'll give you $2,650 in two weeks with a two party check. Includes shipping out west, right? :stupidPC:

Craigslist is best for buyers looking to low ball you, don't let them bug you too much:)

I'm in your camp on this. A professor once asked a female student if she would trade her diamond engagement ring for his bottle of water. Of course she said "No." He then said "I understand. Now how about if we were in the desert and after three days or so, with little hope of escaping, would you make the trade then?"

Joe you're right about everything having value and the fact that value changes over time and place. However, since value itself is subjective, it is exactly only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, as Jeffibus has pointed out. If he tries to sell his piano and there are no takers then its value at that time is zero. The air we breathe is free and no one would pay for a bottle of air. But what if, as in the movie "Spaceballs" you ran out of air. Then it is priceless because no one could survive a few minutes without it. It then becomes one of the most valued of all "things."

That's like the serpentine line at Six Flags for a roller coaster. You've waited inline for 30-45 minutes in 95+ degree weather, in direct sunlight, on asphalt. At one of the corners of the line, there's a frozen lemon ice stand selling them for some horribly unreasonable price, at least unreasonable before you got in line. I opened my wallet and bought 2 (one for each of my kids), and even though I bitched a bit, it was sadly worth it at that point. :ugh:

I don't mind low ballers, I just felt that was a bit ridiculous.

I am not really mad either, and it does not really bug me I just felt like sharing that one. Figured you guys might get a kick out of it.

Maybe I should put in there..

"Will trade for a bag of powdered Donettes and a 12 pack of Budweiser"?

I asked a real purty girl if she would sleep with me for a million dollars, She said yes I would.
Then I said how about 20 dollars? She said "wjat kind of girl do you think I am?"
I said we alread established that now Im just negociating the price.:tup:

I thought we weren't going to bring that up?

:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

Back