Sometimes I hate people.

I get annoyed as well when someone low balls me like that. Selling a vehicle, I guess it is to be expected, as everyone seems to do it. However, I am in the service business, and what really bothers me is the guys that want to chissel on the price after the service has been rendered, even though the price was agreed to in advance. There is simply no reason for that kind of disrespect.

What works well for me is countering by raising the price. Say the stated price is 500.00. After Joe Blow tells me he would be glad to give me $450.00, I reply that I would be happy to take $550.00. Usually Joe will respond with something like " I thought you said $500.00? And I will say, yea... I changed my mind, guess you should have paid $500.00 while you had the chance. Next will come " well how about $475.00?. I'll reply, "how about $525.00?

Eventually we end up at $500.00 and I'm happy because I got my price, and Joe is happy because he didn't have to pay $550.00.

It sounds stupid, but I think a lot of people just have the need to negotiiate. :banghead:

I get annoyed as well when someone low balls me like that. Selling a vehicle, I guess it is to be expected, as everyone seems to do it. However, I am in the service business, and what really bothers me is the guys that want to chissel on the price after the service has been rendered, even though the price was agreed to in advance. There is simply no reason for that kind of disrespect.

What works well for me is countering by raising the price. Say the stated price is 500.00. After Joe Blow tells me he would be glad to give me $450.00, I reply that I would be happy to take $550.00. Usually Joe will respond with something like " I thought you said $500.00? And I will say, yea... I changed my mind, guess you should have paid $500.00 while you had the chance. Next will come " well how about $475.00?. I'll reply, "how about $525.00?

Eventually we end up at $500.00 and I'm happy because I got my price, and Joe is happy because he didn't have to pay $550.00.

It sounds stupid, but I think a lot of people just have the need to negotiiate. :banghead:

Man, that's nuts! I would just say I'll keep your bike until you pay the bill, or dis-assemble any of the networking components installed in an Engineering job.

Are these services usually agreed to in advance with a written estimate?

Back