So this Happened today

Unbelievably cheap insurance! That's great! :)

$1100 per year here for basic. I get private coverage for fire/theft/accidents/gear/etc and that's an additional $325 a year

What is the world is wrong with Canada? $1100.00 a year? What if you only paid a couple hundred bucks for an old bike?

What is the world is wrong with Canada? $1100.00 a year? What if you only paid a couple hundred bucks for an old bike?

Well, every province is different. Alberta, where Oldschool lives, has a normal system where companies compete for your business.

BC, where I live, has mandatory insurance run by the Crown. The rates are high because there's no competition. Insurance rates for motorbikes are strictly based on displacement. The type of bike, amount of power and the value don't have any bearing on the rate class. A 1200cc old junker worth $400 is almost not worth insuring because you pay the top rate class and it is quite expensive.

There are five different rate classes for motorcycles. Each one covers a different size of engine, but they all cover any type of use, such as pleasure, to/from work, etc.

Rate class 310 is for motorcycles with an engine of up to 110 cc, and limited speed motorcycles. Limited speed motorcycles are not more than 50 cc, have a power drive system that doesn’t require clutching or shifting once the drive system is engaged, have a maximum attainable speed of 70km/h, a maximum weight of 95 kg excluding fuel or batteries, and wheels with a diameter of 254 mm or more.

The other 4 rate classes for motorcycles are:
311 (111–400 cc)
312 (401–750 cc)
313 (751–1150 cc)
314 (over 1150 cc)

It's a bit of a shitty system but the additional $325 a year I pay for private coverage is worth it for sure.

Now you understand my curiosity. It's still better than living in the USA ;)

Last edited:

Dustin lives in British Columbia and they have a government owned monopoly on insurance, much like Saskatchewan, Manitoba and other provinces. In Alberta (Canada's Texas) we have private insurance and our choice of companies. I pay $387.00 for FULL coverage, including replacement value on the bike and all my gear. $500.00 deductible. Big difference depending where you live. We also pay much less for gas as a rule.

Dustin lives in British Columbia and they have a government owned monopoly on insurance, much like Saskatchewan, Manitoba and other provinces. In Alberta (Canada's Texas) we have private insurance and our choice of companies. I pay $387.00 for FULL coverage, including replacement value on the bike and all my gear. $500.00 deductible. Big difference depending where you live. We also pay much less for gas as a rule.

Don't get me wrong, I love B.C. just hate the government bs and can't afford to live there.

It's still better than living in the USA ;)

You are very cute for thinking so.

To each his own I guess, but Where I live I can ride to and from work year round without having to worry about snow and ice in the winter, and on the dozen days it does rain I can drive my car to work.

I spent about 8 years living in a place that had real winters and I hated it, I could not imagine living in the Great White North during those winter months. I hear there is still ice on the Great Lakes..... In May.

You are very cute for thinking so.

To each his own I guess, but Where I live I can ride to and from work year round without having to worry about snow and ice in the winter, and on the dozen days it does rain I can drive my car to work.

I spent about 8 years living in a place that had real winters and I hated it, I could not imagine living in the Great White North during those winter months. I hear there is still ice on the Great Lakes..... In May.

WHAT?? You know that bikes work in the rain...... You must have turned soft in the Paradise called California.

I'd give my right leg to be able to ride in the rain today...Oh wait a minute....

Back to the original post:

I know how you feel though. I have had bikes knocked over in Parking lots twice now. My current ride was pushed over by thieves that were frustrated that they couldn't jimmy the saddlebag lock. It was scrapped up a bit and it really pissed me off.

Years before I had my FZ pushed over in another hotel lot while I was out for lunch with a friend, but it didn't do a lot of damage that time. I wanted to end the prick that did it both times.

Last edited:
I could not imagine living in the Great White North during those winter months. I hear there is still ice on the Great Lakes..... In May.

Well, it's 80 degrees Fahrenheit here and the cherry blossoms are in bloom
Neighbourhood.jpg

No great white north here in Vancouver :D

Still, you do have a beautiful coastline in CA and I do really love that. And fantastic weather and epic roads. Don't get me wrong, I do really enjoy visiting the US but it doesn't seem like the right place for me. It's an amazing place full of beauty and I have met some amazing people.

Last edited:
Klurejr, if I was to ride only on *nice sunny days* then my riding for the year in NH would be about 45 days a year. I ride from 35 degrees in the spring until 35 degrees in the winter, rain or not. ;) You have gone soft! :p :justkidding:

I hope you can source some used parts cheap and get it back closer to 100%. Post up a WTB thread and see what the members turn up with. Or, no naked!

Well, every province is different. Alberta, where Oldschool lives, has a normal system where companies compete for your business.

BC, where I live, has mandatory insurance run by the Crown. The rates are high because there's no competition. Insurance rates for motorbikes are strictly based on displacement. The type of bike, amount of power and the value don't have any bearing on the rate class. A 1200cc old junker worth $400 is almost not worth insuring because you pay the top rate class and it is quite expensive.

It's a bit of a shitty system but the additional $325 a year I pay for private coverage is worth it for sure.

Now you understand my curiosity. It's still better than living in the USA ;)

Sounds awfully familiar with something we in American are just getting a taste of... Obamacare! My wife has a few young (and incredibly naive) Canadian friends that think the health insurance in Canada is just great and we (Americans) should switch to a single payer system (like Canada)... because you know, it's free! Sure, it's great when you're young and healthy, but just wait until they get a little older and start to have health problems...

Anyhow, sorry this happened to the OP. It sucks, it's happened to me, a few times.

When i was 17, I was walking out to my car when about 100 feet away I saw a car straight up back into my door (completely caving it in), turn off their lights (it was night) and take out. Yeah, they were leaving a liquor store.

You know how people can never be bothered to put their shopping cars into the car corral or at least move it up to the curve so it doesn't wonder around the parking lot running into people's cars? Yep, had that happen. Came out to my new 4 month old car with a shopping cart laying on it's side and a nice big dent in my door.

My brand new (at the time) '11 WRX... bought it in October 2010 and by August some asshole hit it in a parking lot, caving in the driver's side rear door. And, because you can't make this stuff up, as I was driving home from the body shop, fresh from paying the $500 deductible a car on the right lane on the interstate runs over a good sized rock sending said rock into into my passenger side door, leaving a nice gash down to the metal and a string of dents.

But wait, there's more! I work in a downtown building with below ground parking. There are two exits. A main gate with an attendant (so visitors can either pay for parking or provide the validated parking pass stamped by one of the businesses) and a side exit for people who work in the building and thus have a badge to get out of the parking garage.

This teenage/20s? blonde chick (who doesn't work there, looked like she was there for an interview) tried to get out using the side exit, which involves a ramp to get out and requires a badge. Upon realizing she couldn't get out, she pressed the call button and the attendant remotely raised the gate for her. She however forgot to put her suv into gear and proceeded to roll back 10 feet into the hood of my car. Subarus have a "hill assist" which leaves the break on for a half second to make it easier to engage the clutch when the car senses it is on an incline. I saw her rolling back into my car in slow motion and my car was just stuck there...

The kicker? Besides it being a friends card and the girl giving me an invalid insurance card (when I called her insurance agent.. the coverage had been canceled). I eventually tracked her down and her parent's insurance and started the claim. Her dad ends up calls me at my office to basically argue with me that the accident wasn't his daughter's fault and tried to play the "prove she hit your car and she was at fault... maybe you were too close behind her!"

The conversation went like this "Sir, my car stationary, she rolled backwards into me but hey... the FBI and Homeland security work in this building as well.... there are cameras EVERYWHERE. I already have the camera footage of your daughter rolling into my car, would you like to see it? Because I'm sure the police would consdering she provided false insurance information and then effectively left the scene of an accident. Please come down to my office and we'll sort this out".

He never showed up at my office but the next day his insurance agent called me to start the claim.

So... 4 people have hit (and damaged) my car. 5 if you count the shopping cart.

3 took off
1 store denied responcibilty. I was 21 at the time... now I know better that you can't simply write off liability by posting a sign that you're not responsible. That would be like me posting a sign on my car that says I'm not responsible my car damages you or your property. It's simply a scare tactic.
1 tried to deny responsibility until faced with undeniable evidence and threatened with prosecution.

Never had some asshole knock one of my bikes over but I did have my '07 R1 stolen in 2008 from a parking lot. Showed up a year later 1600 miles away in North Carolina running from the cops.

Uninsured motorist coverage is expensive in Colorado and it's ridiculous that we have so many uninsured motorist driving around.

Moral of the story, mistakes happen... own the fuck up!

Holy crap man, you have had a rough time of it.

I bought a 2004 STI back in Sept 2005 and within a few month of owning it someone backed into it in a parking lot totally destroying the rear bumper and leaving a green paint line on the car. I was in the building on business for an appointment. No note, Had to pay my own deductible on that one. People are disgusting.

FYI - I have not "gone soft" because I have chosen to live in a temperate climate zone, I just prefer not having to deal with rain and snow if I do not have to, and yes while a motorcycle does work in the rain I would never chance it with SoCal drivers in the rain. EVER.

Well, it's 80 degrees Fahrenheit here and the cherry blossoms are in bloom
Neighbourhood.jpg

No great white north here in Vancouver :D

Still, you do have a beautiful coastline in CA and I do really love that. And fantastic weather and epic roads. Don't get me wrong, I do really enjoy visiting the US but it doesn't seem like the right place for me. It's an amazing place full of beauty and I have met some amazing people.

That's Nothing today the Vanilla Blossoms came out so thick they covered the cars and bikes.

He he.

K, I am sorry about your gen 1, more so I am a big believer in karma, so whomever knocked your bike over has something bad coming ther way! It sucks but sometimes you just have to deal with the sh## life gives you and move on. I personally would never call you soft, I am actually a little jealous of where u live! If I didn't have grandparents locally I would seriously consider relocating.

You are right, some people are disgusting. If I was dumb enought to do that, I'd pick it up, stick around, and pay for any and all damage.

and you also own a bike. some people could care less about bikes and often think of riders as a nuisance to the street. it is a form of ignorance. but i would be right there with you if i laid down someone else's bike, i would feel terrible. but i was also raised to value other peoples belongings as if they were my own.

Back