So I rode today without a helmet &

I've ridden a few times without a helmet, and that was only to go to the grocery store a few blocks away. The occasional bug in the cheek when I have my visor up is enough of a reminder to always wear a helmet, as well as full gear.

Then again, I live in Alaska where I can wear full gear almost every day and not overheat in it all. I don't know how some of you southern boys can stand full leathers in 80-100+ weather... but I guess it works both ways. I can ride in 50 degree weather without heated gear, haha.

I only live about ten miles from Luckenbach, TX (yeah, that Luckenbach) and they are always having some sort of biker event there, and 95+% of the bikes are Harleys. They have to be cool in that environment so they are always underclothed, bare arms and no hat. The ladies are just as bad, bare midriffs (often tatted up), bare arms (more tatts) and no helmet of course. It's what they do, some of them crash, some get hurt badly, some worse. That's just the way it is, you can't teach stupid.

Other than the safety issue I can't stand not wearing a helmet because of the engine clatter on a bike like the FZ1. That high frequency clatter and wind noise would tire me out in short order. I wear plugs and a full face helmet for safety and comfort. I'm not about to kill my hearing.

Last edited:
A friend of mine when I was younger was working on his dirt bike, decided to take it for a quick spin around his block just to test things out, left his helmet in the garage. Something went wrong and he ran his face into the curb and nearly broke his jaw.

I wont even ride my bicycle without a helmet.

I only live about ten miles from Luckenbach, TX (yeah, that Luckenbach) and they are always having some sort of biker event there, and 95+% of the bikes are Harleys. They have to be cool in that environment so they are always underclothed, bare arms and no hat. The ladies are just as bad, bare midriffs (often tatted up), bare arms (more tatts) and no helmet of course. It's what they do, some of them crash, some get hurt badly, some worse. That's just the way it is, you can't teach stupid.

Other than the safety issue I can't stand not wearing a helmet because of the engine clatter on a bike like the FZ1. That high frequency clatter and wind noise would tire me out in short order. I wear plugs and a full face helmet for safety and comfort. I'm not about to kill my hearing.

i understand the tatts are there to cover up the road rash. :poke:

Personally, I always wear protective gear. In Australia you are required by law to wear a helmet with the other protective gear being optional. Currently some issue motivated groups here are trying to push that all protective gear in fluro colours should be required by law. I completely disagree with that approach.

Whilst I hate Harleys and generally bikie clubs, I do think people should have the choice in so called "free" countries as to weather they wear full protective equipment. Of course, if you choose not to wear protective equipment then you must be prepared to suffer worse injuries and death.....and don't expect to go to the front of the hospital cue.

Aus is a funny country. Yesterday i rode about 200m through some back streets to a friends house with no helmet or gear.

The neighbourly death stares and head shakes made me all the more cooler i think.

Wow I've never seen that, could you post a picture or two ?

Oh yah. It's not holloween and these are real!!

4b0dffdb2f2c2_83548n.jpg

I stopped somewhere the other day and realized I needed to be on the other end of the parking lot at another building it was only 1/4 mile or so away but I already had my helmet locked to the side of the bike, rode where I needed to and felt naked, having the helmet on the side of the bike made me feel like i should have been riding a stretched out hyabusa 15mph through town in a white beater and untied tims haha

Grew up riding with no helmet usually in shorts and no shirt back in the 80's.....guess looking back young, stupid and lucky!
Only time used to use a full face was on the highway heading to Grand Beach cause the damn bugs.
Now I do not ride without a helmet and 95% will Joe Rocket jacket and pants......I realize now that I will not heal as fast anymore lol

It's funny how naked you feel without a hemet if you're used to one on you head. I think I've gone across town twice at higher speeds, like 45mph, without a helmet and even with sunglasses I remember my eyes tearing up the whole way.

Up here in AK helmets aren't required for the driver, just the passenger, but between the wind, the bugs and of course the chance of someone not seeing you and merging into your lane I now wear a helmet all the time regardless of the law. (Plus jacket, gloves, boots and sometime pants if the weather is spitting).

I had my helmet stolen when I was out and ended up using a friends half helmet. I hated it. I had my sunglasses so that helped, but I felt like I had no protection. I actually like gearing up for a ride and I like the feeling of the FF helmet, it's like my own world there. :p

Back