Smaller rear sprocket comments.

Man .. Isn't that a bit extreme ? I was thinking about going to 16/46 from 16/45

Yes its pretty low. I cant remember for sure but i think 65mph is around 6100rpm. She tops out at 142gps. i have often woundered if it is to low for the bike. this year i plan on trying the stock front sprocket. I am not sure but was once told that it gives me a 3to1 final drive and thats good for the strip. i have know idea on that tho.

Man .. Isn't that a bit extreme ? I was thinking about going to 16/46 from 16/45

Yes its pretty low. I cant remember for sure but i think 65mph is around 6100rpm. She tops out at 142gps. i have often woundered if it is to low for the bike. this year i plan on trying the stock front sprocket. I am not sure but was once told that it gives me a 3to1 final drive and thats good for the strip. i have know idea on that tho.

some say the golden ratio for this bike is -1/+2

some say the golden ratio for this bike is -1/+2

Probably true if you don't do any extended highway traveling at higher speeds. I only went for the -1 (16T front) and anything more would be uncomfortable on the highway. I think my RPMs are about 400-500 higher than with the stock gearing at the same speed. Greatest benefit is that passing in 6th gear at highway speeds is much easier now...just twist the throttle and go :D

When the track opens back up and i get some good runs in i plan to try the stock front with the 48 rear to see if it will be any better. It launches good like this but i feel it may be hurting me on the big end.

Probably true if you don't do any extended highway traveling at higher speeds. I only went for the -1 (16T front) and anything more would be uncomfortable on the highway. I think my RPMs are about 400-500 higher than with the stock gearing at the same speed. Greatest benefit is that passing in 6th gear at highway speeds is much easier now...just twist the throttle and go :D

A -1 feels good only off the line. Don't think it makes a noticeable difference once rolling above 3-4k rpms. I can still pass pretty well in 6th gear ...

I found the stock gearing pretty good for MY street riding, but switched to a 16T on the front and prefer it overall. My fuel mileage is the same, as I don't ride on the freeways too much. If I were to ride more freeway, I would use a 17T front and 46 rear. It's a minor gearing change, but It will shorten the wheelbase sligtly.

I had a hard time getting over spinning so many RPMs myself. Afterr years of V8s, it just seemed wrong. Now I rev the "insert your favorite word" out of my vehicles designed for it. Keeping my RSX-s above 5800 RPM is fun. Keeping the FZ1 above 9K is impossible on the street. Well for me anyway.

today I felt the need for a bigger rear sprocket. I got smoked by a Fireblade '08 and a Gixxer '06. I was on full throttle and they smoked me at 3/4 throttle ..

today I felt the need for a bigger rear sprocket. I got smoked by a Fireblade '08 and a Gixxer '06. I was on full throttle and they smoked me at 3/4 throttle ..

Don't those bikes have 20hp more and are lighter? I don't know if a rear sprocket is going to help your case in that situation

A -1 feels good only off the line. Don't think it makes a noticeable difference once rolling above 3-4k rpms. I can still pass pretty well in 6th gear ...

Well it made a noticeable difference to me in 6th gear. Most of the time when on the highway if I need to pass now it doesn't involve any downshifting.

Surprisingly, it's not too bad on the highway

At 100 kph (62.14 mph) its only 453 revs higher @ 4579 rpm

At 120 kph (74.5 mph) it's 543 revs higher @ 5495 rpm

45 stamp

Good question.

Stock is 17 Teeth front, 45 Teeth rear.

Thanks, I think there is a 45 stamped on the back sprocket.

I had a wonderful three hour break on Saturday washing and waxing my 08.

Not sure a driveway is suposed to be this fun, but it was. :cheerleader:

Back