Smaller rear sprocket comments.

Sactown2008

Can someone direct me to any conversations on smaller back sprockets? I am used to renting "low redline" Harleys.

Its amazing how fast I am in 4th gear (3000-4000 rpm) on my new 2008 FZ1 from at an intersection. I went for my first 10+ mile ride yesterday (Sacramento River Delta area).

Has anyone ever put in a smaller back sprocket so the 1st four gears have a little room between shifts? My neighbor with a new Hypermotard 796 says "leave it alone, for the twisties." :wow:

I am sorry if this is answered somewhere else. This is my first sportbike. I am trying to adjust to this incredible handling bike and learn all I can about it. It turned 3000 miles Saturday morning, so I changed the oil and filter (YamaLube), plus lubed the chain.

GREAT Web site.

Can someone direct me to any conversations on smaller back sprockets? I am used to renting "low redline" Harleys.

A R1 39 tooth will fit, but make sure that you have some room to move the axle aft a bit. Your speedo will read a bit lower then you are going. Use a gps to check how much error you have or do the math. Mileage should go up also.

Its amazing how fast I am in 4th gear (3000-4000 rpm) on my new 2008 FZ1 from at an intersection. I went for my first 10+ mile ride yesterday (Sacramento River Delta area).

Has anyone ever put in a smaller back sprocket so the 1st four gears have a little room between shifts? My neighbor with a new Hypermotard 796 says "leave it alone, for the twisties." :wow:

I am sorry if this is answered somewhere else. This is my first sportbike. I am trying to adjust to this incredible handling bike and learn all I can about it. It turned 3000 miles Saturday morning, so I changed the oil and filter (YamaLube), plus lubed the chain.

GREAT Web site.

If the bike is only new then I suggest don't make any changes until after you have ridden it some more.

Get a feeling for your new bike and how it likes to be ridden before making too many changes.

Most people go the other way and add to the rear or go one down on the front sprocket.

If the bike is only new then I suggest don't make any changes until after you have ridden it some more.

Get a feeling for your new bike and how it likes to be ridden before making too many changes.

Most people go the other way and add to the rear or go one down on the front sprocket.

I agree that you should get used to the bike some more before you make any gearing changes.

The biggest obstacle that I see is the fact that first gear on the FZ1 is so tall already. Putting a substantially smaller sprocket in the rear will make for a lot of clutch slipping to get if off the line, especially with a passenger.

Like others have said, get used to the bike first. You said in the first post that you've only just done your first 10+ mile ride on it. That's really not very far and you should give yourself some more time to get acquainted with how the FZ1 likes to be ridden.

Don't be afraid to rev it. I know a Harley will shake your fillings out at 6000RPM but the FZ1 motor is a an engineering masterpiece and is smooth as butter at those kinds of revs. :)

Get out there and put some miles on before you even think about modifications. Have fun! :)

From my experience I would say :ditto:

Like others have said, get used to the bike first. You said in the first post that you've only just done your first 10+ mile ride on it. That's really not very far and you should give yourself some more time to get acquainted with how the FZ1 likes to be ridden.

Don't be afraid to rev it. I know a Harley will shake your fillings out at 6000RPM but the FZ1 motor is a an engineering masterpiece and is smooth as butter at those kinds of revs. :)

Get out there and put some miles on before you even think about modifications. Have fun! :)

ALL very good tips. Thank you everyone. :unworthy:

Sactown2008:
I have done exactly what you are asking about - in fact I went to the extreme and changed my rear sprocket from the stock 45 to a 38 tooth, leaving the front 17 tooth alone. I did this strictly for a long highway trip. Here are the results:
* A shorter chain was needed. 118 - 120 link instead of 122.
* Starting off was OK, with no clutch abuse as long as you start off very gradually. Would be a poor choice for hilly terrain.
* Highway cruising on flat roads was very acceptable. Bike has enough power to run most any desired speed without laboring the engine.
* Highway gas mileage improved from a previous 40 to about 45. This was running steady from 70 to 80 MPH. I ran one entire tank at 60 MPH and got 53 MPG, but talk about boring.
* With stock or lower gearing, even though the RPM is up, the engine labors less, and can handle uphill or a headwind so much easier.
* After returning home and riding in town, the MPG actually got a little worse than with stock gears. You just never get into 6th gear.
* I have the sprocket and chain for sale if anyone is interested.
* The fun factor went down the drain. The FZ1 just became transportation.

So, as everyone else has said: Ride the FZ1 without changing the gearing to a higher ratio. After a while you will find that the engine just freely revs and is happier doing so.

Last edited:
I find the stock gearing just perfect and I ride pretty fast in the twisties.
Smaller or Larger sprocket just give you feel only off the line. Once your are rolling at a decent click, just upshit/downshift depending upon what you want to do.

Leaving the 2008 alone for now.

Sactown2008:
So, as everyone else has said: Ride the FZ1 without changing the gearing to a higher ratio. After a while you will find that the engine just freely revs and is happier doing so.

Thats my plan. I bought swingarm and engine sliders this week.

After that 3 hour ride last Sunday, I noticed the coolent level was even with the bottom "Fill" line, so I bought Yamaha 50/50 coolent to top it off. The temp gauge reads 190 sitting in the driveway, but goes down to 150-160 degrees at 60mph in 6th on rural Sacramento County roads on a 70 degree day. Not bad for needing a top off on the coolent.

Thanks everyone.

Thats my plan. I bought swingarm and engine sliders this week.

After that 3 hour ride last Sunday, I noticed the coolent level was even with the bottom "Fill" line, so I bought Yamaha 50/50 coolent to top it off. The temp gauge reads 190 sitting in the driveway, but goes down to 150-160 degrees at 60mph in 6th on rural Sacramento County roads on a 70 degree day. Not bad for needing a top off on the coolent.

Thanks everyone.

Regarding the coolant... don't worry when the temp is 95 degrees out and the bike hits 220 degrees on the dash with the fans running at a stop light. This is normal. These bikes run quite hot in hot temps. 95+ here means about 195 +/- 3 degrees while riding at speed. It quickly climbs when you come to a stop. I've seen up to 228 degrees without having any issues and the fans will bring it back down.

You'll get used to the whole package in time but give it a lot more time. Then the bike will just feel perfect for you. ;)

Back