Sick of Bugs in my Grill

As in the US, here in Australia we get heaps of road bugs hitting the radiator grill. Hard to clean and damaging to the radiator cooling fins. I had my FZ1N a short time and in 2 rides my radiator already had some bug damage. Easy fix - aluminium flyscreen wire fitted behind the plastic radiator guard. Cut to size, only 2 allen screws to work on, easy to clean or replace. I'm relatively new to this forum and find it very interesting. Looking thru photos I see lots of S models........is the N available anywhere in the States?

As in the US, here in Australia we get heaps of road bugs hitting the radiator grill. Hard to clean and damaging to the radiator cooling fins. I had my FZ1N a short time and in 2 rides my radiator already had some bug damage. Easy fix - aluminium flyscreen wire fitted behind the plastic radiator guard. Cut to size, only 2 allen screws to work on, easy to clean or replace. I'm relatively new to this forum and find it very interesting. Looking thru photos I see lots of S models........is the N available anywhere in the States?

Nope. The Naked version is apparently a European product not available in North America. All the FZ6 and FZ1 are with fairing. But last year the FZ8 came out in the US and it is Naked.

However, some do conversions for the FZ1 to Euro style. There is a part kit for $500+ dollars to do the light and everything, except for mirrors (Partshark in IN). Then there are options to get mounting brackets and mirrors. Thru Yamaha, one can order a clutch perch and a master cylinder that accomodate mirrors mounted on the bars for $200+ more dollars. (But many doing this use bar end mirrors instead) Then there is the cost of the mirrors. So, it can be quite a bit just to get rid of the front fairing, windshield, and change the lights and mirrors out. But, for some it is worth it. I myself am in the middle of doing it. I am having a couple additional things performed in a custom shop. So, I can't wait till it's done!

Last edited:
As far as bugs go, here in Texas I have to clean my helmet visor every ride (and usually multiple times when stopping for gas, etc) and wipe the front of helmet from bug guts every ride. Plus the jacket gets coated with bugs. And then the bike must be wiped off too, including the radiator. So, I'm not sure what's worse bug-wise. Texas or Australia? But it sure is fun doing it! That splatting of yellow and red on your visor at high speed. Makes me stay alert!

No N model? That's a shame. I really like the S model also but the N has a different type of appeal. They sell 50/50 here in Oz. Good luck with the conversion. So far, I don't miss the fairing.

As far as bugs go, here in Texas I have to clean my helmet visor every ride (and usually multiple times when stopping for gas, etc) and wipe the front of helmet from bug guts every ride. Plus the jacket gets coated with bugs. And then the bike must be wiped off too, including the radiator. So, I'm not sure what's worse bug-wise. Texas or Australia? But it sure is fun doing it! That splatting of yellow and red on your visor at high speed. Makes me stay alert!

I've worked in the Outback here and all car grills had to be covered with mesh or the locusts would block the lot. In Victoria it is tamer but that aluminium fly screen is a hardware shop item and works so well. Cheap too, you wouldn't know it was behind the plastic and painted black already makes it almost invisible.

I've worked in the Outback here and all car grills had to be covered with mesh or the locusts would block the lot. In Victoria it is tamer but that aluminium fly screen is a hardware shop item and works so well. Cheap too, you wouldn't know it was behind the plastic and painted black already makes it almost invisible.

That really is a good tip. I also would suspect that your bug population is more substantial, especially there in the Outback. One of these days I will travel there and see in person! :D

Back