Should I go pre 2006 or post?

Hello, my name is Richard and I'm about to purchase an FZ1. I would really like to get as much input concerning the following question: Which model type do you prefer? What are the advantages of the post 2006 and pre 2006 model? I have read a lot about what Yamaha changed, but I would really like to get opinions from people that know and have no reason to give bad advice. I like the look of the new ones, but would really like to know what people think. Thank you in advance for any input on this topic. Have a great day.

you'll find that many people are biased... Gen 2 (2006+) owners tend to recommend the Gen 2, and Gen 1 (2001-2005) owners tend to recommend the Gen 1.

I've ridden both, and I've got to tell you that they are both very capable bikes. The Gen 2 leans more towards "sport" than touring, and the Gen 1 leans more towards "touring" than sport right out of the box. However, either bike will do either task just as well with a few modifications. My Gen 1 set up with top of the line suspension components and me on the seat will give a good competition to the average supersport rider on their full-on sportbike on any of my favorite roads. The Gen 2 can strap on some Givi Hard luggage, get a set of handlebar risers, and lowered footpegs to make it tour like a FJR-Lite.

It's really hard to say that one is "better" than the other, and the factors that make a person pick one over the other are normally personal.

For me, I prefer the look of the Gen 2. Hell, I don't think there's anything quite as sexy as the Gen 2 with the FZ1-N conversion done to it. However, I like working on my bike almost as much as I like riding it. Not to say that the bike NEEDS a lot of work, but for me, I have an easier time working on a carb'ed bike compared to a Fuel Injected bike. I don't like the complexities of the FI and computerized systems. For $10 I can have a hand full of jets, and spend an afternoon trying out different fueling scenarios....[< For an example of the extent of me being a Luddite, my perfect bike, could I build it right now, would be my big heavy steel FZ1 frame, with a Big Bang 09 R1 motor crammed into it, with carbs.>] You can also do the same with the Gen 2, but using a laptop and a Power Commander.

The Gen 1 has a slightly more relaxed seating position when compared to the Gen 2, but that's also subjective. On the Gen 2, the footpegs are slightly higher and the bars are lower from the factory. But, I have short legs and long arms, so I fit the Gen 2 surprisingly nicely in stock trim. In the meantime, in order to fit my Gen 1 comfortably, the pegs were a bit too far away, so I added Gilles Rearsets.

Typically, power delivery on a Fuel Injected bike is a bit crisper, but I drilled the slides on my Gen 1's carbs, and now the throttle response is amazing. I also advanced the timing, jetted it, modded the airbox and countless other fun things to get the power delivery exactly like I wanted it...

When it comes down to it, you can't go wrong with either bike... They're both very capable machines, but like anything else, both could use a little massaging to make it "yours" ... Some folks like one out of the box compared to the other out of the box... but let's be honest... who leaves their bike bone stock? Whether it's a pipe, or bars, or grips, or levers, or whatever... you'll change something to make the bike suit your needs.

So... I'd ask you several questions.

Are you more comfortable working on Carbs or on Fuel Injection?

How much are you willing to actually do to you bike? Will you do a pipe and grips and then just ride the wheels off of it?

If you're mechanically inclined, pick whichever one you're more comfortable working on. If you're not inclined to work on your own bike, and will take it to a dealer for every maintenance... just pick the one that fits you best and you like the looks of the most.

If at all possible, get a little seat time on each one.

Finally.. for what it's worth, since the Gen 1's are getting older, and they didn't really ever have that big of a following, aftermarket parts and accessories are starting to drop off a bit. Meanwhile, there are plenty of parts available for the Gen 2. But also think about the cost of the parts. A Power Commander is $300. A jet kit is $110 if you buy from a "tuner" or $30 if you use my method (which I've written up extensively). The 180/55 Gen 1 tires are cheaper than the stock 190/50 on the Gen 2, and most Gen 2 riders that like to ride a bit hard go with the even more expensive 190/55. Then, we have the amazing phenomenon of the Gen 1's holding their value better than the Gen 2's... You can almost buy a 2006 Gen 2 for the price of a 2003 Gen 1... Don't know exactly what's up with that... it's a bit crazy.

Richard, welcome to the forum. Welcome to the madness. If you have more questions, let us know. When it comes down to it, the decision is yours, but we can help you with questions that you might have along the way.

Members, let's all welcome Richard, and help him in his quest for Nirvana that is known as the FZ1.

:welcome: Richard!

I cannot say a whole lot more than Aaron just did (and did well!) but I can vouch for one thing, I am a GEN II owner and biased. I really like not having to work on carbs anymore! :D Gas, change the oil & filter, lube abd adjust the chain... she's ready to ride!

I'm with va_rider on this one personally i love my Gen 2 but i like tinkering with the computer on a laptop and the sportier position of the Gen 2 is also appealing but if you go that way there are some things to look at like the seat top me it was hard as a rock and i had a hard time staying on for more then an hour. Second is how you will be using it I've seen Gen 2s turn into basically an R1 with a bit more relax riding postion and I've seen them where you almost swore it was an FJR. Whatever you're into both Gens are great bikes and you'll have a blast welcome and have fun :tup:

Like he said

:welcome: Richard!

I cannot say a whole lot more than Aaron just did (and did well!) but I can vouch for one thing, I am a GEN II owner and biased. I really like not having to work on carbs anymore! :D Gas, change the oil & filter, lube abd adjust the chain... she's ready to ride!

The fact that I would not have to deal with carbs sealed the deal for me. 2008 Granite Grey. Loving every minute of it. I can't come up with a downside.:tup:

The fact that I would not have to deal with carbs sealed the deal for me. 2008 Granite Grey. Loving every minute of it. I can't come up with a downside.:tup:

Yea, there is something to be said about not messing with the choke or waiting until the bike has warmed up to take off. I know that a properly set up carburetor works fine, but...

Oh and both Oldschool and I own carbureted bikes, they're just not FZ1's ;)

I am a biased gen2 owner, but I got in to the fazer thou club through 2 guys who run gen1s. On back rod blasts they were always at the front, even when I had an R1!
VA Rider summed it up well. gen 1 tour(y) gen 2 sport(y). Add in a bit more tank range on the gen1, mostly down to an extra4litre capacity in the tank.

The other thing to think about is; do you want an old bike or nearly new bike?? Last of the gen 1s in 05, with maybe an odd one registered in 06.Nothing beats low miles/nearly new for peice of mind. So if money is not a problem its a no brainer. Go for the later bike.

Gen Question

Like most have said, sporty or touring. Last spring (09), I picked up a 05 (Gen 1) for $5k w/5800 miles. Last summer, a birdy told me after I got mine, 08's (Gen 2) can be found in a crate for around $6800 in eastern Minnasota.

It really depends on what your going to be doing with it.
The 01-05 bikes are better for touring.
The 06-10 bikes are better for everything else.
I have had both and the gen one bikes are alittle bit more comfortable on longer rides.The gen two bikes handle better but not by much.
Stopping power is all gen two I have tested this and the gen 2 is alot better at stopping.
I can't say what gen is best for you but you won't be dissapointed with either gen.

VA, that was an amazing write up. I almost feel smarter reading it.

I'd like to talk to you abit about modding the FZ. I've seen a few things, but nothing extensive. I'll PM you.

g2 way better. Handling is excellent. Stock forks are great. Stock shock not bad, but I did change mine out, but not because it needed the hyperpro. You will need to do some mods, but once the dust settles, yo have a bike.

I have the 06, which is the best one.

I sat on new, and I sat on older....but for me it was the test ride that sealed the deal...yeah, I'm in the process of matchin va_rider on my '01, but half my fun has been learning how to wrench on the bike, the other half being riding.

ultimately, you are the one that has to live with the decision on a day 2 day basis.....you'll have support either way you decide.....unless you get a cruiser....:poke:

Hey Richard, they are both pretty nice bikes and it's really what you like about the looks of each, and more than likely the number of $$$$ you can or want to spend. The gen 1's will be a little easier on the pocket if that's a real issue. Most people would tell you that unless you are a very experienced and capable rider, your abilities won't outdo the abilities of either bike. Either way you'll be pleased with the machine.

Gen II. I know the Gen I owners are loyal to their bikes and for very good reason. For me, the newer (and IMO,better) technologies make the Gen II the only bike I'd consider. Probably the major thing is the die cast lightweight aluminum twin spar frame VS tubular steel frame. This adds stiffness and stiffness means more precise handling. Add to that, more modern R1 derived engine, lighter weight-stiffer wheels, fuel injection, etc. Plus, prices on new, past model year Gen IIs are incredible. Yesterday saw a new 2008 for $6,895! That said: test ride both and let the bike speak to you.

The technology of the Gen II machines is superior to the Gen I. Having said that, I much prefer the relaxed position and extended fuel capacity of the Gen I. I would dearly love to do a side by side comparison, but I don't think the other half will go for that.:shame:

The technology of the Gen II machines is superior to the Gen I. Having said that, I much prefer the relaxed position and extended fuel capacity of the Gen I. I would dearly love to do a side by side comparison, but I don't think the other half will go for that.:shame:

yeah, the wife took one look at my 06 and said she'd not ride on the back. Just too high and uncomfortable. OK by me, though.

Don't know anything about the Gen 1 but I am not sure how you could buy a better bike than a Gen 2. I have to force myself to get off of it. 7500 for an 08 helped out too. I'm 5'9" 180 and it fits perfect. The only thing that bugs me is the space between the peg and shift fork is small. Very light boots or tennis types are ok but I like street boots and it's tight. I purchased adjustable pegs for a dialed fit. Mighty fast!! Stops on a dime and treats curves like a butcher. Turns heads at anything above 6K (at 8+ I'm looking down the road) "even with the stock exhaust!!"
Jeese, I'm ready to go now.:laugh2:

Back