Should I go pre 2006 or post?

Just because !

Because it's just SWEET, and because I really like this picture.
November7th.jpg

Picture's worth a thousand ..........:hook2:

Don't know anything about the Gen 1 but I am not sure how you could buy a better bike than a Gen 2. I have to force myself to get off of it. 7500 for an 08 helped out too. I'm 5'9" 180 and it fits perfect. The only thing that bugs me is the space between the peg and shift fork is small. Very light boots or tennis types are ok but I like street boots and it's tight. I purchased adjustable pegs for a dialed fit. Mighty fast!! Stops on a dime and treats curves like a butcher. Turns heads at anything above 6K (at 8+ I'm looking down the road) "even with the stock exhaust!!"
Jeese, I'm ready to go now.:laugh2:

You can adjust the height of the shifter to accommodate bigger boots. Just have to loosen the two lock nuts on the shift rod and turn the rod to bring the shifter up or down. Just be sure to leave enough threads on the rod engaged into either end. Oh and one of them is reverse threaded. Lock nuts circled in attached pic.

I have a Gen ll but I think the earlier version is also a fine bike. The FI on the Gen II bikes is a plus in my opinion. I also have a carbed bike and it seems to take forever for it to warm up to operating temp where it runs correctly without enrichener. With the FI, cold running is never a problem. Buy what you can afford and what pleases YOU.

I have the Gen II, but I would love to have both generations. I set up my '07 for speed and the Gen I for touring. My current bike has to pull double duty, but other than fuel range, it's just fine.

Mike

If one is concerned about cylinder wear and replacement, on the Gen I you must replace the crankcase to replace a bad cylinder (cost $1362.58) just for the case plus the labor of rebuilding the internals, for the Gen II, the cylinder bank is $698.99 and I'm sure the labor will be a fraction of the cost of replacing the crankcase. Maybe the average owner will never have to worry about this if the bike is maintained properly, but it may be a concern to some.

Back