Schuberth C3, opinions needed

6 month update. My C3 has seen around 11,000 miles / 18,000 km and is still perfect. All controls, vents and snaps and such are working as they should and the fit is as good as it was when it was new. There was a slight bit of initial break-in but after that it hasn't changed at all.

The only little niggles I've found are the chinstrap which chafes a bit over long periods of time and the seal at top of the visor does let moisture in when you're in 'the position' in heavy rain. This is very heavy rain, mind you. 99% of the time it's just fine. The Pinlock lens is absolutely perfect.

I will definitely get another C3 when it comes time to replace it. :woot:

Last edited:
What about the C3 Pro? Have you tried it on yet.

They moved the chin strap forward and adjusted the forehead padding to spread out the pressure more evenly across the whole forehead.

There are good deals to be had on C3's right now. Some around $200 off MSRP.

It's fantastic and I have no complaints about it. It fit perfectly out of the box and it fits perfectly now after 1000 km. It is the best balanced, most aerodynamic, most comfortable helmet I've had the pleasure of owning. It's the absolute perfect helmet for me.

I do find the Pinlock isn't optically perfect, though. It does give some strange reflections from lights at night but it doesn't interfere with my vision too much. It's completely worth the trade off of some odd reflections compared to being completely 100% fog-free in any and every weather condition.

As far as price, that's up to you. Have you tried one on in the store yet?

Dustin,
I have a Shoei with pinlock insert and it specifically mentions day time use only for US, Europe and Aus. Something to do with the light transmission values which may explain the strange reflections.
Regards,

Steve.

well great here i am drooling over these helmets and i come across this thread and now i have to go buy one...i've been torn between this or a nexx, both awesome, just gotta save some money

The double surface that the pinlock creates cause internal reflections inbetween the external shield and the pinlock. These reflections aren't very noticable in the daylight but become more pronounced at night.

I was thinking about the C3 Pro but opted for the Nolan N-104 based on the recommendations for my head size and shape. Perhaps the C3 would be a tad quieter but the fit of the Nolan works great for me and even with the B4 communicator it was less than just the C3 alone.

Last edited:
Jared, I really love my Schuberth but there are other options. I can't praise my C3 enough but the HJC RPHA Max is worth looking at as well. It's been very well-reviewed and looks to be of excellent quality

Two year update:

Excellent helmet that is holding up well. The only thing I've changed is adding some speakers to the provided ear pockets. Tuneage on the go :)

My one and only complaint is the visor system they use. Although the Pinlock lens is absolutely fantastic for fog, it's a real pain in the ass to clean. If you even look at it wrong, you scratch it. To top it off, the plastics they use for the face shield also chip easily. For me, this means changing my visor & Pinlock about once a year. This wouldn't be such a big issue but the visors are a bit on the expensive side at around $120 for the set. I wrote to Schuberth and talked to their rep at COTA and they told me that this is normal for the kind of mileage I do. I average around 25,000 km per visor, I guess. That said, the method you use to clean it makes all the difference. I found a great tutorial from Shoei on YouTube and this has proven to be the best method for the Pinlock lens.

[video=youtube;eq0SNaSwuE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq0SNaSwuE4[/video]

To be honest, if this is my only complaint about the C3, I can't get too hung up on it, can I? Visor & lens #3 is waiting for me at my post box :)

Last edited:
Back