School me on motorcycle locks

silentcropduster

I'm sure some have you have read in the past the guy on Reddit AMA that use to be a bike thief and shared his "how to not get your shit stolen" idea's. If you haven't read it, please do it's a a real eye opener.

I am in need of a disc lock or U lock to lock my bike, as well as helmet and jacket. What do you guys use on your bikes if anything? I was looking at this: Amazon.com : Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 Standard Bicycle U-Lock with Transit FlexFrame Bracket (4-inch x 9-inch) with 4-Foot Flex Cable : Bike U Locks : Sports & Outdoors

Seem's like a pretty solid lock. The other issue i have is storage, my FZ1 doesnt have enough storage for much anything else besides the PCIII and tool kit in the tail section.

Any serious input is highly apprecieated.

I run a heavy duty bike lock (pedal bike) through my frame, through my jacket sleeve and threw the main opening in my helmet to lock that stuff down. As far as security, when I park my bike at home it gets pinched between my car, my fiancé's and the house so no one can get to it without moving a car.

I had a nice heavy duty steel cable on my last bike and guys cut it with chain cutters in1/2 a second in front of a HD security camera, then put it in the side of a mini van and attempted to start it with screw driver, they were only caught cause a cop drove by them unloading it from the side of the mini van 5 minutes down the road.

-B

You're not going to be able to lock your jacket and bike with just a disc lock. Have you considered going with just a straight-up cable and padlock approach? Might be easier to store. That U-Lock seems really awkward for carrying around, especially with your storage issues. Have you considered a tank or tail bag?

Edit: Just saw heresmymind's comment. Doesn't bode well for my suggestion of a padlock and cable. There's always theft insurance, of course.

Last edited:
Back