***Scale Modeler Thread***

I love the smell of testors model glue in the morning.

Hey! I almost forgot. I got your message yesterday. If I'm not mistaken, Englishtown has the Swap Meet that weekend and me and Richie never miss that. I'll be getting to one this year though. I need to get some tax dough to fund a 2 piece or full leather and boots first. Thanks for the call though.

My package arrived today and I'm stoked! I can't wait to get started. I have to get to the hobby shop this Saturday early to pick up some paint, glue, and other things.

The first time it's ever been open!
IMG_4585_zps27256869.jpg

IMG_4586_zpsb4e0543b.jpg

IMG_4587_zpsd9baf194.jpg

Boy, cracking open that box brought back some fond memories for me!

That's just reminded me, I must find the the two Rossi GP bike kits I was given two Christmas's ago.
Would it be easier to paint all the pieces first then assemble, or assemble then paint?

That's just reminded me, I must find the the two Rossi GP bike kits I was given two Christmas's ago.
Would it be easier to paint all the pieces first then assemble, or assemble then paint?

I think you definitely want to paint first, especially if you're going to use spray paint for a nicer finish.

Most definitely painting all pieces first. I keep them separated in sections to dry and then assemble later.

Would you suggest painting the items on the plastic frame then remove them when dry, or separate them before painting?

I would just be brush painting them and want to avoid fingerprints in the paint.

cheers, Biff

Back in 2005 my wife bought me a model of a ZX-10r for Christmas. I had gone 5-6 years without a bike. That one model started my lust for bikes again and I went out and bought a CBR 600 F4i. Built a ton of these models as a kid to. Never the level of detail that Den Arnold put in to his military models though. I have more of an eye for detail now. I may give it a try again.

Would you suggest painting the items on the plastic frame then remove them when dry, or separate them before painting?

I would just be brush painting them and want to avoid fingerprints in the paint.

cheers, Biff

The problem with leaving them on the "frame" is that when you go to remove them, you'll always have to touch them up again, cause there will be one or more spots without paint depending on how it's attached. I remove them and trim down any spurs left from the frame, then I paint them, holding the piece with tweezers. The paint dries pretty quickly and you can speed it up a bit with a hair dryer. Then when it's touchable, hit the section that the tweezers had and your good. This way you won't have to paint them, let them dry, remove from the frame, and then have to paint again. I will say that if you want it to come out really nice, it's a trial in patience. A really nice model with minimal parts can take a few weeks to finish if you do a little each day.

Awesome! Another Billy Build of a bike. :yes: Let's see the progress!

I agree with Billy, off the frames... sand down the areas that need it, test fit all the parts before painting.

Here's another tip... on parts you want to paint, you can bend the frame to create stands by clipping a bar and standing it up. Sometimes I heat the frame with the micro-torch to bend it and it stays put when it cools... Now, glue the part to the "stand" with one little dot on the under-side where it will be hidden. One frame can easily hold many parts this way that you want to paint all the same color. After the paint is cured, you can just hit the glue dot with the Exacto and clip it off the frame. Use the frame again for the next round of parts and a new color. :D

I made a few of these about 4-5 years ago. I started with the R1, and it shows. The ZX-12 was next...has the see-through green fairings. I really liked doing the racebikes best, and got a cheapie airbrush, and it shows on the pics in blue...which is too bad, since blue is the most common in my models.

If they would make a nice looking Ducati streetbike (not the lame one they've had for years), maybe with the Panigale or even the 1199, I would build that just to round out the field. Haven't looked or built them since I made that last one...the 50th Anniversary Colin Edwards M1.

I made a few of these about 4-5 years ago. I started with the R1, and it shows. The ZX-12 was next...has the see-through green fairings. I really liked doing the racebikes best, and got a cheapie airbrush, and it shows on the pics in blue...which is too bad, since blue is the most common in my models.

If they would make a nice looking Ducati streetbike (not the lame one they've had for years), maybe with the Panigale or even the 1199, I would build that just to round out the field. Haven't looked or built them since I made that last one...the 50th Anniversary Colin Edwards M1.

Wow! Awesome model building man! I wished mine would look that detailed. Really nice job. I especially love the Edwards bike. Thanks for posting them. I encourage other model builders out there to feel free to post the pics here.

Back