Safe Lane Splitting - Police Examples

Today while on my way to work a Police officer on a BMW bike pulled in front of me while I was splitting and I followed him for about 20 miles.

I have been splitting for 5 years now every day and while I have had a few close calls, I have found that splitting on the freeway is very safe and all my close calls were from me going to fast. I probably still go a little too fast, but this video just shows exactly how safe lane splitting should be done.

This video is very boring because no danger or high speed is involved.

https://youtu.be/68icRI4JFdk

A nice example of lane splitting! My experiences splitting in Cali have all been very positive and my main takeaway is that keeping the closing speed to around their guidelines was when I felt safest. I found that 15-20 kph (around 10 MPH) faster than traffic felt very good and people were all pretty observant and courteous. I can imagine that a lot of close calls or accidents happen when the riders go too quickly.

Thanks for posting that!

In CA, it is expected but I fear when this passes in other states. A lot of people will not be aware and when you do this in other places, people get angry enough to pull out or block your way.

I agree with lane splitting to an extent, that being when traffic is not "at speed" and you can filter through the slow moving lanes, but splitting when traffic is doing close to, at, or above the speed limit shouldn't be acceptable. The responsible thing to do at that point is to maintain the traffic flow until the next slow-down.

I agree that too fast really is the danger. When splitting, the rider needs time to react to people who may not be paying attention. Keep in mind, many are not from CA or just moved there thus are not aware of splitting so they are less apt to be on the lookout for a bike moving between lanes. Bottom line is common sense applied to good judgement. :D

Count yourself fortunate to be in a state, I think the only one, that allows it. ;)

I prefer lane filtering when traffic has stopped or is moving slowly.
If traffic is moving quickly then I see no need to up the risk by lane splitting.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

In CA, it is expected but I fear when this passes in other states. A lot of people will not be aware and when you do this in other places, people get angry enough to pull out or block your way.

While at first it would take drivers some getting used to, but after some time they will adapt. Most people are good safe drivers. The majority of people do not want to crash into another vehicle.

Back