Russell Day long saddle? Gen II

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a 09 FZ-1 and I'm debating if I want to get a Russell Day Long Saddle for this bike.

My other bike is a 06 FJR with a Russell Day Long Saddle which is a real god send.

The concern I have with putting a Russell on the FZ1 is the wings. Part of the reason Russell seats are so comfortable is the "wings" which spread your body weight over not just your rear end but also your thighs. The wings support the thighs but come at a cost of not being able to lean off the bike. At least not naturually.

Does anyone here have a day long saddle on their FZ1 and how do you like it?

My background:

This is my 4th Yamaha. Previous Yamahas were: R1, FZ6, FJR.

I ride 15-20,0000 miles per season. I ride a lot of 500 mile days and do a half dozen or so 2-3 day trips out of Colorado every season.

I kept my FJR for longer distance riding and two-up riding with my wife. The FZ1 is just for solo riding only.

My riding style is more sporty than touring.

i also have an 09 only have it a few weeks made 2 400 mi days and am not a good test mule seats dont seem to be a big bother to me no worse than most other bikes ive had including the fjr13 with stock seat which i made several 12 to 1400 mi days when i had it but then im old and tuff and never having the best of things for most of the years unlike some of todays young wussies yeah i know thanks take care wayne

Hi Clovis! Been awhile since I've seen you on the FZ6 site...now I know why!

:welcome: aboard and you should post a pic of the new ride when you can...

oh and I have a Top Saddlery on my bike, but good luck with whatever seat you go with :)

I have never seen a Russell saddle for a Gen II. If you have a pic of one, I'd love to see it. The seat is one of the things that steered me away from a Gen II.

Russell Day-Long on Gen II

I just got one on Nov. 13 and put it on. Unfortuneatly it's too damn cold to test it out but here's a picture of it on the bike. With shipping it cost me $407.

WOW! That's a big muthah. Looks comfy, though. I get a grin when I think of you blasting by a sportbike rider on the Cherahola Skyway as he says, "Wow, I just got smoked by a couch with a Penske sticker on it."

Thanks Tiger! Looks good!

The day long saddle is a real difference maker for my FJR at least. The Mrs. and I were able to do a 1700 mile 3 day trip without rear end discomfort.

First impressions.

You definitely sit higher. I have the Yamaha Gel seat but you sit right on you butt bones ( I don't know the scientific name for them). With this seat most of your weight is on your thighs with only some on your butt. I adapted a Harley Police bike seat to my 1999 Triumph Tiger and it feels similar to that. It'd feel better if in was 1 1/2" lower but I'll see if I can get a few miles in on Friday before the weather turns crappy.

P.S. The sticker isn't the only thing that says Penske on the bike.

Last edited:
Back