Rough week? Rough two months!

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Monday morning, I had an appointment to take Michele's old cat of almost 22 yrs in to be put down. Health failing, it was the right choice but it did not make it easy. I didn't sleep much the night before and intended to get this done and head to work... after all, I'm not much of a cat person. But, this guy has been in this family almost as long as my twins! It was harder than I ever thought it would be. As she (the vet) administered the lethal injection, I lost control, feeling him going lifeless in my hands. She left me with him and said "take what ever time you need." I spent the next 15 minutes trying to compose myself. We'd already taken care of the bill and paperwork before so that I could simply exit the place. I bowed my head, took a deep breath and left after giving him one last petting and a final farewell. I went home to Michele, called out of work and we cried ourselves to sleep.

Later that night, just when we thought we could smile for the first time this dreadful day, I got a call from my sister. My Uncle who'd been very ill but was thought to be slowly recovering, had passed away at 8:15pm. I was once more thrown into a depressive spiral of heartache and despair. Sleep did not come easy... waking moment with thoughts of my Uncle... more with the experience of Mocha passing in my very hands... My Uncle again, memories surfacing over and over and wishing I'd had one last chance to see him. My brother had seen him that day, had a great visit with him. He was devastated to learn of his passing that very next morning.

Michele and I went up for the funeral that was held Friday. It was a somber and well done service with full military honors. However, it has further soured my staunch Roman Catholic upbringing. You see, the church would not allow his mass to be held within the church because his ashes were not being buried the same day. His wishes were that his ashes would be held by the family until his wife of 53 years has passed and their ashes would be buried together. The Catholic church doesn't support this and mass wasn't allowed. We had the private mass in the funeral home with a priest who wouldn't bend to the churches rules. I gave up on the Catholic church many years ago. I choose to worship God and Jesus in my own way. I've not broken the two reasons in which the bible says I cannot be accepted in Heaven so I know I'll be accepted when my days here have ended.

Life is too short folks. Call, write, visit, send a card... what ever you can do to remind your loved ones that you are thinking of them and care.... please, do it and do it often. You never know when the time comes that the chance is no longer there.

I hope you've all had a great weekend. Take care my friends.

-Eric

Last edited:
I'm so sorry Eric, nobody deserves a week like that. All you can do is press on, keep those who have passed in your memories, and cherish the time you have with those who are still around.

Chin up!

That truly is a bad week my friends. My condolences to you and your entire family. I definitely know where your coming from about the Church. It seems that the Catholic Church is one big contradiction. I am a practicing Catholic and am quite upset with the way it has turned into a business of collecting funds first and foremost, and about God second. The only thing I can say is that it took them over 2,000 years to corrupt themselves so thats not too bad. Most organizations do it much quicker! They want you to believe that the Lord is "all loving", "all forgiving", and loves everyone the same regardless, and then they refuse to give a Catholic a Church Mass after he passes into the grace of the Lord. Hmmm???? Does that sound right to you??
:waiting:

My condolences. You are braver than me because when I took my dawg to have her put down, I just dropped her off. I couldn't be there when the injection was given. :cry:

I've had a rough weekend too. My Mom passed yesterday afternoon. She'd been very ill but rallied over the last couple of months or so. It happened so fast that my brother and I weren't prepared for it. We were with her when she took her last breath. We are still in shock but tonight once we got my Auntie to the house, I started to feel better. I don't know why I feel better but I do. My Brother said the same thing. Must be TheMomma working her magic I suppose. She was the best momma in the whole world and her friendship will be missed.

I feel for you, unfortunately I have had to put many animals down because people couldn't afford to take them to the vet. My dad and I did this for people because we couldn't see them suffer. I don't ever want to have to do that with my pets way to hard to do. I am also a Catholic and was appauled when I tried to join a church in my area and they wanted to know how much I make a year to calculate how much I need to give each week. I am so sorry for your losses. Need an ear to listen I am a PM away.

My condolences. You are braver than me because when I took my dawg to have her put down, I just dropped her off. I couldn't be there when the injection was given. :cry:

I've had a rough weekend too. My Mom passed yesterday afternoon. She'd been very ill but rallied over the last couple of months or so. It happened so fast that my brother and I weren't prepared for it. We were with her when she took her last breath. We are still in shock but tonight once we got my Auntie to the house, I started to feel better. I don't know why I feel better but I do. My Brother said the same thing. Must be TheMomma working her magic I suppose. She was the best momma in the whole world and her friendship will be missed.

Eric and WT, so sorry for your losses! I will keep you all in my thoughts.

Sorry to hear of your losses. I can truly feel your pain... We had to have one of our three Siamese put down last year due to kidney failure (He was only 5), then later in the year I lost my grandfather, less than two months after that I lost a childhood best friend. 2010 was the bad year for me.

Take care, thoughts are with you.

Sorry about your mom. I'm sure she will be looking down upon you and your family from heaven above.

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad week. Yall should go find some twisties and leave your worrys behind hopefully that will put a smile back on your face.

Thank you all for your comforting words. I really appreciate it. I haven't had any desire to go riding or do much else as of late. Of course, with Michele injured and not able to ride at all, it's hard for me to go and leave her behind. Mostly, I'm worried she might try and do more than she should so I'm keeping an eye on her.

Patrice, I am very sorry to hear about your Mom. Of losses in life, losing Mom is always one of the toughest. Mom is always there for you, always listening, always giving sound advice.... To lose that is very difficult. Please accept our deepest condolences for your own loss.

The only thing more difficult than losing a parent is what our good friend Norm has endured. No parent wants to bury their child and expects the child to bury them. I think of Norm often when things aren't going well and realize that I am fortunate.

You all take care and reach out to those you care about... often. You never know when the next Goodbye is the last.

I am so sorry to hear about your mom, Wolf. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your brother. Lean on each other as much as you need to....or hell, lean on us here in the forums too. ;)

Back