Riding pants, what do you wear?

Rx_FZ1

Im looking into a pair of riding pants, trying to get myself in the mind set of "Dress for slide NOT the ride". Almost all my riding is in dry hot conditions so im looking for breathable riding pants with slide and some armor protection. I was looking into kevlar jeans but they don't look very "cool" temp wise. So I found the "Tour Master Tracker textile air pants" Anyone using these or kevlar jeans? The "air pants" seem to fit my criteria but im wondering if anyone has them or has an alternative suggestion. Please keep in mind I'm looking for something breathable that will also be worn off the bike when watching races, Style is not top priority but does play a factor. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I Had not considered zipping it to my jacket, that is excellent advise. I have a Joe Rocket jacket and it does have the zipper for attaching pants, so i will i include that in my criteria, thank you.

Last edited:
I also need a pair of over pants. I have gloves, full face helmet, armored jacket and I finally got riding boots (not full up racing boots, but A* touring boots). Pants are my last need, I think. :spank2:

My problem is I'm wider than I am tall, so by the time I get pants to go around my fat waist, the legs and crotch are way too long. :banghead: I've just considered getting some knee pads and hip armor, but I'd like it to be quicker on and off.

I never ride without my Tourmaster overpants. There is one zip up vent on each leg and I have never gotten hot or cold while riding (90's - 40's), and all I wear sometimes is just underwear underneath. If you are going to be off the bike for a while in hot weather you will definitely start to sweat. But, they're overpants so I usually just take them off and have some shorts underneath.

Last edited:
Aerostich AD1 pants, simply the best pants I've ever used (and there's been a few). I use them on my daily commute through all crazy British weather. Worth every penny!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I wear Icon Overlord textile pants. They are overpants, so I can wear them to work over my work clothes, and also just wear them as regular pants when out riding in my free time.

There are lots of ways to go with pants. When it is very hot there is a temptation to wear mesh overpants which makes for a pretty cool ride but if you go down that mesh is going to tear and melt pretty quickly so I think they give you a false sense of security with minimal protection (I've got a pair of mesh overpants but I've stopped using them). I wear Joe Rocket leather pants that are perforated that have good padding in the hips and knees and breath reasonably well. Something like that is a good compromise with a safer one piece leather suit which isn't the most practical in regular riding. The cheap zippers that you can attach to a jacket may or may not survive a crash, better than nothing but not a super critical component in my view.

At the end of the day you can't beat COWHIDE for protection, no textile product will substitute for it, it's just a matter of how you want to balance comfort and safety.

Last edited:
I have Icon kevlar jeans with mesh above the knee and up thru the inner thigh. Very nice when hot. I also have a Icon textile mesh jacket which has about a 1.25" hole in the arm fromwen I lowsided my duc about 5 years ago. I didnt get any road rash.

I have been using the Tourmaster Venture Air mesh overpants for a couple of years now. They've held up for about 15k miles and are still in fine condition. They come with two liners (rain/wind and quilted), but I hardly every ride with the insulated liner installed. They've kept me reasonably dry through some severe rain storms with the rain/wind liners in. With just the mesh, they're cool and comfortable, but I feel reasonably well protected (knee armor & hip pads included).

Thank you for all the suggestions and reviews. Really like the olimpia line, both the air flow and recon look like good variations of what im looking for. How true to size are these fitting in the waist? I love the 6" hemibale cuff at 5.6" thats a huge plus!! Please keep the reviews coming, as I am still not 100% decided.

I know leather is by far superior protection over textile but i just can not do it. I started with a leather jacket and it had to go, toooo HOT. Remeber Im riding in 75-105 degree weather with few shaded roads. No arguing that its the best but it is also the hottest, i have to have somthing cool or i wont wear them. I have always worn my helmet, gloves and boots. Just started wearing a jacket, so I need babysteps to get away from the squidly wear Im used to. Thanks for the suggestions though all are appreciated.

Last edited:
There are lots of ways to go with pants. When it is very hot there is a temptation to wear mesh overpants which makes for a pretty cool ride but if you go down that mesh is going to tear and melt pretty quickly so I think they give you a false sense of security with minimal protection (I've got a pair of mesh overpants but I've stopped using them). I wear Joe Rocket leather pants that are perforated that have good padding in the hips and knees and breath reasonably well. Something like that is a good compromise with a safer one piece leather suit which isn't the most practical in regular riding. The cheap zippers that you can attach to a jacket may or may not survive a crash, better than nothing but not a super critical component in my view.

At the end of the day you can't beat COWHIDE for protection, no textile product will substitute for it, it's just a matter of how you want to balance comfort and safety.

Have to agree. "Better to sweat than bleed". Nothing like leather.

And when you need it, it's there. Because, it's not IF, but WHEN.

I usually wear Dianese leather pants that zip into a perforated leather jacket--on the street for riding. I have a leather suit for the track.

The cheap zippers that you can attach to a jacket may or may not survive a crash, better than nothing but not a super critical component in my view.

My best friend crashed several times at higher speeds with zip together leather suits and they held up very good, no problems sliding for 100 yards on the back. A one piece suite is impractical for all longer riding.

However I agree that leather is the only real protection, even very expensive textile suits could not compete with event the cheapest leather pants. I have to see if I find the test. They simulated a crash at about 55 mph (was done by german car club ADAC) and even 2000 Euro Textile suits showed severe melts and would have caused bad bruises.

Vented leather or so called cool leather (reflects infrared light but is optical black) are very good even in 90 deg weather. Of course not as comfortable as mesh but I never heard of any real life experience in a crash with a mesh suit at speeds of 60-90 mph.

The armour should be of equal consideration to the slide protection. Ever grazed your leg running by something? Lets say for arguments sake at around 15km/h. Usually, any pants of some thickness will go a long way in protecting you. Try running directly into a knee-high wall at the same speed and there's a good chance you'll break something.
Now, quadruple the speed and you're still moving slowly in bike terms and consider the possible differences and defenses. You better have some serious impact protection for the street as there are obstacles everywhere! No sliding off the track into sand or across grass into a tyre wall. Consider something with D3O, CE2 or equivalent protectors in the hips, shin-knees and possibly tailbone and thighs.
For the sliding, Kevlar is good but degrades significantly when exposed to moisture or UV(Sweat? How do you dry it?). The manufacturers don't like to talk about or test that ;-) Nylon,cordura etc melts at high temperatures whether that be touching a hot exhaust or sliding down the road. Leather works well here but also has a tendency to come apart if not of good quality or thickness. And all of these worthy materials are NOTHING without great stitching to hold it all together!

I used to distribute 'the "previous" strongest jeans in the world' and can attest to their slide protection. But they also change shape, stitching frays and the waist trim/securing is a joke. Not to mention they are a 1 hit wonder with the cotton shell buffing clean off in a good slide.
Search: Bull-it jeans if jeans are your thing.

Please consider that at the end of the day, you only get what you pay for and you ought to pay for how much protection you want, right? Want to be safe driving down the street buy a hummer. Want to be real safe? buy a tank. Want to be safe and fast? Go talk to Bruce Wayne.
For me, it took a while, but I've finally landed my mangled bag o bones in a Streetguard3 2 piece I scored for less than 1/2 price by smart/lucky shopping and love it. I think it is a Wayne enterprises product :D

Last edited:
I have been using the Tourmaster Venture Air mesh overpants for a couple of years now. They've held up for about 15k miles and are still in fine condition. They come with two liners (rain/wind and quilted), but I hardly every ride with the insulated liner installed. They've kept me reasonably dry through some severe rain storms with the rain/wind liners in. With just the mesh, they're cool and comfortable, but I feel reasonably well protected (knee armor & hip pads included).

I have the same pants and they are pretty decent. But, I finally got tired of these 2 piece textile gear and finally bucked up for a one piece Olympia Phantom.. For backroads and weekends I still use my 2 piece AGV leather race suit...

Last edited:
Back